Discussion Rampant misleading ratings

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Keima-kun, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it just looks like its rated unjustly coz qi bunched up all their novels together so its more noticeable, its like if u bunch up all the kr/jp novels u'd prolly see 80% troll rated instead of just seeing 1 or 2 novels troll rated~ besides those who really wanna read something would prolly read the reviews instead of just glancing at the ratings~

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    you see, every time I read an ntr novel, they always got a star rating. I wonder why :hmm:

3. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO, even fan translators should be rated. If a fan translator frequently makes wrong translations, readers should be warned. If a fan translator clearly doesn't speak English, readers should also be warned. Ditto with fan translators with a record of dropping their translations on a whim, or translators who have the "good/bad luck" to always pick a novel which keeps on getting licensed/DMCA'ed. Regardless of whether they are amateur or professional, these are all points which potentially detract from the reader's enjoyment. Readers also have the right to know what they are getting into ahead of time. With some easily available ratings, a reader can make an informed decision whether or not to spend his time or energy starting a new series without having to do his own feasilibility study every time.

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    staffs had stated about rating regarding translation. they won't allow any rating based on translation or translator as it can lead to a more negative possibility.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yes very true, except lets swap Yaoi and other novels

Now that is more accurate

chamchaworld and mir like this.
  6. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a big problem that I see a lot too. Multiple times I see novels getting tons of 1 star ratings as soon as the prologue of a novel comes out, and I can only assume it's because the raters are not fans of those particular kinds of novels, because they obviously haven't had a chance to figure out how good or bad the novel is.This is particularly problematic because it gets in the way of people who enjoy whatever type of that novel it happens to be, because they might dismiss it for the low rating.

But I suppose internet trolls will always be present, and they'll always find ways to be obnoxious.

lohwengk and Wujigege like this.
  7. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think people here too care about the rating........

A rating is just a value that the other reader give to a story. It might not reflect enjoyment in reading it.

Take example: Neptunia Rebirth 1 who only got 69% and 72% in metacritic, or 6/10 in IGN.
    But for me, it's a good game that I enjoyed (perhaps due to my previous education in VisualNovels).

Meanwhile I really "don't get" high rating FPS games...... like Halo or Gear of Wars. You just shoot things in one way or another...... Rather than shooting the enemy, I more prefer exploring the levels (by turning off enemies through game files editing or invincibility cheat). But this might be because "guns" and stuffs just don't click with me. So for me, it's a 1-star experience.

Like this, I learn to not believe in the ratings and just try it myself before I decide.
    I think this generation is too...... what's the word....... whiny? spoonfed? pampered?...... spoiled?
    If you don't want to dive into a pile of goo to get the pearl, then how would you get the pearl? Just wait for someone to give the pearl to you?
    Go young ones! Dive into that goo! No pain no gain!
    And don't give me: I don't have time bullshit! If you have time to browse NUF, you got plenty time to search through that pile of goo!

Blitz, chamchaworld and kenar like this.
  8. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    nonono
    now, this quite accurate

9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Ratings is a lie...

10. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    If they said that, then there's nothing more to discuss. But did they really mean translators shouldn't be rated at all, or that translators shouldn't be rated using the novels' ratings? The first pretty much shuts down any idea of giving ratings to translators, while the second means a 2nd rating system for translators can be implemented.

IMO, you should only rate a story in a genre you want to read. It's like rating all apple pies "1" when you don't even like apples. What business do you have eating and rating apples and apple pies in the first place?

Ratings are an important type of information regarding the quality (and/or quantity) of a product or service. They are like the metrics measuring your job performance. They are useless if used to measure the wrong things. Going back to my example using apple pies, it's like measuring an apple pie's quality using the metric "quality and quantity of oranges used." Because the wrong metric was used, there would obviously be poor quality information generated.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    But like you used with your apple pies analogy
    Give a novel a negative rating due to the translator is not acceptable, because it is like rating a good from a shop because of poor customer service
    It is unfair to the manufacturer of the good who has nothing to do with the shop staff

12. lohwengk

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is to have two different ratings: one for the story, one more for the translator. To extend my apple pie analogy, you can still rate the apple pies they serve high (because the pies are delicious and pack in a lot of apples), while rating the shop itself low (e.g. because of generally poor service).

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I agree that is why I am saying complaining about the misleading ratings is fair.
    The translator and the novel should not be inclusive, for lack of a better word

14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.novelupdates.com/review-guidelines/
    although it's about review but it could also be used for ratings

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.