Question Ranking vs Reviews

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grandork, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grandork

Grandork Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is that that a lot of novels have high ranking and abysmal reviews? Were they vote brigaded in order to gain a lot of ratings?

An example being Second Life Ranker. Most of the reviews are 3 stars, a few 2 and 1 and a few 4 and 5. The review with the most likes is a 3 star review with 65 likes. Then a 5 star review with 16 likes, followed by a 3 2 star reviews with 14/12/12 likes.

That makes me believe that most people think it's a mediocre novel, a lot think it's bad and a few think it's good. Yet it's 4.4 on Rating.

This is the same to many novels with high Rating, you get into the review section and that average rating drops a lot.

kkgoh and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Fortunately I am one of the few who don't chose a novel based on reviews

firefox1234, Matteus and Emmyy like this.
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are only two reasons to write a review on the internet, You love something or you hate it. Which is why there are so many novels with completely jacked up rating distributions like 40% vote 5 and 40% vote 1.

The best way to get a feel for if a novel is good is if there are more 4 votes than 2 votes.

firefox1234, Fuyuneko, Zomula and 2 others like this.
  4. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    Why rely on someone else's opinion? Usually by reading the first few chapters you can tell if the novel is for you. It's like not going to check out a restauarant because a *yelper* didn't like it.
    You can see if the translating quality is good..the author's style is to your liking..the character development is good, etc.
    Maybe check out some spoilers to see if direction is good if you don't mind being *spoiled*:p

false likes this.
  5. DankMCD

DankMCD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I need to consider the ratings and reviews to determine if it's worth the time to read it. And rarely, I just disregard the reviews when they're just spewing shit. That's why I heavily rely on the ratings

6. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the times you rate a novel highly not because it's good but simply because you enjoy it.

As for reviews, do remember it's purely opinions. Some more objective, some more subjective than others.

runsing, Raneday and Emmyy like this.
  7. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    5* rating can be done with a single click, so all a story needs is one great chapter to make people go to the page and rate 5. 5* star "reviews" are almost as bad. "This story is great! So funny! So exciting!" Tells me almost nothing useful about the novel. Any actually thoughtful review will include both the good and the bad, so it will end up being 2*, 3*, or 4*.

Personally, I always look first for 3* reviews as they're generally the most useful. Even if I end up loving the novel, I probably tried it because of a thoughtful 3* review instead of a gushing 5* review, so I'm more likely to like the 3* review.

Nimroth, jcochran and kkgoh like this.
  8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ratings that are lower than 3.5 can be trusted at the very least. The only ones that doesn't deserve 4 stars are emperors domination, against the gods and that one novel that got bombarded by 5 stars because the translator wanted higher ratings

9. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    i never considered the rankings and reviews because people are stupid and biased, if anything i trust own and that one guy who reviews the novel for what it is and does not compare it to others

10. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly you are on NUF is your time that precious (n):p ..haha.. Check story out for yourself ratings are a few people's opinions...you might miss out on a good story . how long does it take to skim a few chapters? :)

People should form their own opinions based on actually checking the story out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2019
    false likes this.
  11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly agree with you on anything 3.5 and above. The problem is that anything rated lower than that are rated low for a reason and I don't want to read something that is highly likely to be horrible

kkgoh and Toralk like this.
  12. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry but I think it doesn't take long to check it out yourself..people love to push like not like on the internet to validate their existence..I like to form my own opinions

13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well. . . .
    I mostly read the reviews when tackling novels who have a sypnosis written for freaking hidden code crackers. . .
    they are so cryptic to the point that few can hardly understand it. .c.and those few already read the novel. . . .

Rumby likes this.
  14. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think it was posted by a moderator before, and I may be wrong, but ...
    Rankings are an amalgamation of ratings, reviews, readers and releases. Arrr!!
    Frequently updated translations will push a novel up in rankings. That's why you'll see lowly-rated novels with high rankings. Yea the word "ranking" is a misnomer.
    Ratings are based on the aggregated 1-5 star ratings. Ratings can be given without leaving a review, and vice-versa.

It was suggested that if you're looking for novels with high ratings, don't be lazy by clicking on "Series Rankings".
    You need to search by "Series Finder", and sort by ratings.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Lswarmruler likes this.
  15. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    My believe is basically rating>review>ranking

kkgoh likes this.
  16. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    most of the stuff above^^^

and about rankings; completed novels often get pushed down, especially the shorter ones, one-shots, and the like~

17. DankMCD

DankMCD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's why I'm reading those that I dropped before or didn't read because of bad reviews and ratings. That's why I have 70 tabs of novels open. Not joking.

I've been misreading ranking as ratings since earlier but, I don't really care about the ranking. Not all the ones at the top are good. Some of the good ones are buried underneath.

18. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't look to rating or the positive reviews. I only read the negative reviews to see if I disagree.

Example: Reviewer gives low rating because of dislike how the MC, instead of fighting them, pays the local mafia to leave him and his family alone.
    I disagree that the MC always need to fight every bad guy and find this a very refreshing choice, so if that's the reason for his bad ratings, I know to expect a good read.

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Well this is pure speculation, but I get the feeling that most people will give a 5 star rating as long as they simply enjoy something and might not really think much on what is good or bad about the story, and people that don't enjoy the story are probably less likely to put a rating in the first place because they don't stay as long with the story.
    Meanwhile reviews are usually done by a more varied a mix of people that want to put their feelings into words, and that include both fanboys that just want to express their enjoyment as well as disgruntled readers that want to vent all their grievances they had with the story, and sometimes more neutral readers that actually do try to do a fair review.
    Also not all people have the same standards for ratings as they have for reviews, I've not done any reviews on the site myself, but if I were to I wouldn't give a 5 star review to any novel on the site, despite that I've given a 5 star rating to a couple novels.

Personally I more or less disregard ratings, if I'm unsure about a story I usually try to look for 2-4* reviews, preferably ones that are fairly lengthy and goes into some details.

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I read long review that usually fell in the 2-4 stars range. Short reviews are nonsense and rating are biased so I disregard them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.