Rant about cn

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ImperialNero, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats with the amount of chinese novels in NU nowadays. There are like 90% of them while 10% are japanese and korean combined. Most of those mc are lowkey mary stu/gary that author used to fulfill their dream like china domination and shits. Chinese race number one mentality, overly nationalistic even though novel is sets in another fantasy world, racism to another races other than chinese in general, fuck all of them. This is the reason i moved to manga instead, at least good sites like [aggregator] havent been invaded by them yet. I got tired of going to other pages to find good jap/korean while usually 1-2 years ago i can find like 5 good novels in one page. NU should add a feature to limit amount of chinese novels or filter specific novels by languange tbh. Smh. Or i will appreciate it if you can recommend me other alternative like NU

Ionliosite, Martialegg and kkgoh like this.
  2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese novels offer a steady income since they tend to run 1k+ chapters and such.

Also it feeds people face smacking and such fetish.

Other than that it’s all preference :blob_coffee::blob_coffee::blob_coffee:

3. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Umu there is a filter for language/origin on the series filter option on NU that you can use to search. There is also a release filter there that you can use to decide what shows up on your release page such as excluding racisn, nationalism, rape, etc

4. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... I have read a few CN but i won't say all of them or even many of them are racist or nationalist or even have a gary stu mc but yeah... The ones that do have these things take it to the next level... Otherworldly evil monarch n spare me great lord would be the perfect examples of this.

Although in spare me great lord's case, the nationalism skyrocketed when the translator change at around 250-270 ch or something...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    kkgoh and Danmei_Empress like this.
  5. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

And once you're done with that ....

there's really just a selection bias for translated works. The CN novels chosen for translation tend to be more marathon, nationalistic ones. But they are semi-addictive just like junk food, and people can't quit them.

There's a whole bunch of yaoi novels on NUF too. Since I'm guessing there's a ton of BL lover translators. There's also a lot of Korean novels and Korean fans. So any of these genres get an automatic +1 star buff.

Don't read too deep and try to stereotype based on the novels. Most CN people don't even bother reading online novels. Just like not all Jap ppl are hopeless otaku perverts despite what a majority of their manga suggests.

If you really want better content, pay for it via official sites or bookstores. Can't complain too much when it's free.

6. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest problem is the extreme amount of new CN that are Yaoi.

7. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought most CN novels are cultivation novels in xianxia world where "China" or any countries in real world don't existed.

Am I mistaken?

Shunraiki, Muspon, Ionliosite and 3 others like this.
  8. Rakiin

Rakiin Pokemon Slave Trader

Reading List:
    Link
    The good old days :D

There are a lot of modern wolrd cultivation novels... and they... well... "China numba 1!!!" .

I like modern world cultivation novels, lots of face slapping but you need to master the art of ignoring the glorification of China. It annoys me the most "china is the best" blabla. The denouncing of other countries (mostly japan, america etc.) is there too, a lot of it. But I dont care, none of them are my country and even if there is some rare occurrence of it... I still don't care I wasn't brain washed in my childhood. (It helps that I grew up in multiple countries, maybe?" so I have no real sense of beloning to either of them.

9. TheLastBaconOnEarth

TheLastBaconOnEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I don’t get while reading CN would be the places, such as B city, N city, or even other countries like A country or E country. I don’t get these name labels:blobunsure: why can’t they just write it like real places? Where they prohibited? Or was it the translators’ intentions? Those authors could just made one up if they don’t want it as too specific. It kinda irks me whenever I saw these letter names in the middle of a paragraph:blob_pout:. Unless they also live at One punch man Saitama’s world with the need to alphabetized cities for the ease of public emergency monster warnings, why do they always use this type of naming places in a boring way? *shrugs*

10. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a way to prevent the book being censored.

Fuyuneko and kkgoh like this.
  11. TheLastBaconOnEarth

TheLastBaconOnEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The authors could use made-up names, right? Will this way still restricts them?

12. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually stopped reading CN novels a long time ago except for a few that are absolute kino.

99% of CN novels are absolute trash. You can call these novels factory made because they just follow a formula of generic shit and a minimum amount of words they need to reach to get money. At least it makes the good ones stand out compared to the shit we see.

Ionliosite likes this.
  13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    isnt it strange ? complaining about rasism you go full rasism too

far more wide spread in my opinion is the strange stuff about japanese cooking:
    1. everyone can cook
    2. everyone likes the food
    3. everyone must go "delicious- so delicious"
    4. almost like "its no jp novel without soy-souce"

14. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors usually use the initial of the city name.
    For example Beijing = B city
    Shanghai = S city

TianJia and kkgoh like this.
  15. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I have my filters on at full power so I dont really see things like yaoi and racism but I'm still very selective with my novel choices.
    With CN i have to put in exclusion tags like racism, rape, etc. But I dont judge an entire community based on a few works since there are some pretty good chinese novels out there. I've read a few.
    With regards to nationalism, its everywhere. Everyone thinks that their culture is better so I dont pay much attention to it. I'm not in the least bit nationalistic (I dont even like local food) so I dont understand it. As long as it doesn't get blown out of proportion then I couldnt care less. People will write about what they are familiar with.

16. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you see how their country and system worked, it’s not surprising that the novel turns out that way. There should be a propaganda system that forced the author to be that way on a certain genre.

That’s one of the main reason why modern chinese novels arent really popular overseas.

But their xianxia novels arent exposed much to their brainwashed nationality.
    And some of the modern novels are extra trying to push down the racism and nationality propaganda.
    Their effort to keep it as vague as possible can really be seen by us readers. It feels like the author is also trying to not show it as well.
    That said, a lot of them also brainlessly advocating the propaganda.

Well, my piece of advice is to check the tags before you read it, fam xd

Muspon and kkgoh like this.
  17. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    My experience with CN novels, about 80% stuff to be ignored, 10% stuff to be thrown to the bin, and 10% stuff I actually liked, I even make up jokes with my friends that I am racist towards CN novels, now that aside, JP novels also have quite a lot of the belongs to the trash category, and KR does have that too

Extreme nationalism is also often present in KR as far as I recall tho? Mostly against the CN or JP that are often the main antagonists early on, sometimes against the US... I haven't seen that much in JP novels but those also have their issues (read: everyone loves food that normally requires you to grow fond of almost magically, it's rare when there's someone who doesn't like what the MC cooks)

Ionliosite likes this.
  18. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea thought about that too, but I think the xianxia novels just express elitism / racism in a different way.

You know the kind ...
    ... when there's always a couple of races (non-human or different human tribal origins) being discriminated against because of different beliefs or cultural values, and the MC agrees with it.
    ... or those of the upper class constantly screwing over the poorer masses just because they can.
    ... or MC becomes an equally nepotistic douchebag once he gains power and has children/family in important positions.
    ... or MC protects/represents his village->town->city->province->kingdom->empire->race ... pretty much in that order as he gains power. Which is kinda another version of nationalism :rolleyes:

Rather than making things more equitable (despite the MC's power), it's usually just tacitly accepted as the "way of the world", and you're either top dog or being oppressed at the bottom. So MC usually just perpetuates the discrimination even after becoming top dog.

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    filter language based on language?
    nope, rejected~
    limit cn entry?
    nah on your dream, there more translator for cn wn compared with jp and kr~ that why you see more cn title rhan jp and kr combined~
    aggregator site not overrun by cn? lel cuz other aggregator cherry pick which cn to publish while NU nope~ most aggregator use NU as base for picking so it kinda rare to see non listed NU novel pop up on aggregator site~
    similar site with NU for novel directory https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/other-websites-for-fiction.8195/

weirdnshort likes this.
  20. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a story in the end depicts the author's expression and view for the readers. Just like goblin slayer or berserk is trying to give the readers the feeling of realistic dark fantasy. the rape tag is just there as an expression.

Is it wrong to use rape tag in entertainment? if you asked me, it depends on the target market.
    There's a reason why we would tag some books with age requirement and one of them is the disturbing factor that you feel.

Is it wrong to use a biased view on a certain warped ideology like discrimination and elitism?
    If you asked me, i dont care about the warped ideology in an entertainment novel. As long as the author is being consistent about it and i enjoyed reading it.
    In a world where people are killed like chickens, it'd be weird if there's no discrimination or nepotism. it's even weirder if the mc acts like a modern person. That's inconsistency.
    The reason why i dislike racism and nationalistic CN MC is mainly because of the poor execution and inconsistency. If the author depicts it better, like giving a certain logical reason and background, then i'll be fine with it.

If you feel those kinds of books shouldnt be publicized, then what you do is exactly like the CCP. Oppressing other people and forcing their views on others smh.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Muspon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.