Rant : Translators and Readers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Readers, if you think you can do a better job then start your own website. A wordpress blog is free. Or a better option, I will offer you free web hosting, one year domain registration and Google Ads. Everything you need to succeed.(Product Placement)
    And those visiting pirate sites and then when novels get dropped they make pick up requests :facepalm:
    . At least visit the translator and help them improve their search ranking even if you use ad block .
    And those complaining about splitting chapters into pages ..haha, books don't come in pages...permaban..Cheers!

Translators, asking author's permission for novels especially licensed ones when you don't intend to pay licensing fee is plain stupid. I will make a good analogy : you piggyback off your neighbor's internet, you don't overuse, and mainly use it when your neighbor is asleep or not at home. Do not go ask for permission. They probably know and ignore it. Asking for permission to steal is just a slap in the face.
    The book is most likely their livelihood or future livelihood. You won't want your livelihood to be taken for free

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Vyren

Vyren Version 3.33

Reading List:
    Link
    In regards to this part, rather than asking I think it would be better to just tell them that you’re translating it (If it’s not licensed).

3. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    we dont need a loanshark in webnovel format...

4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors are trying to get licensed, it will be detrimental to them just to inflate your ego or help your conscience
    People pretty it up as much as they want, call it hobby etc,it might be the case for readers and translators but it is the livelihood or future livelihood for arguably a majority of authors

lygarx likes this.
  5. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Er - maybe missing context, but what I see - if a translator (or anyone, really) takes a single 'set' (or chapter) and splits it over multiple pages, separated by clicks, scrolls, data costs, loadtime, and ad after ad after ad, then whines about being criticized for it . . . that there's a$$hole behavior.

IF that's not what is happening here, I apologize, but you're not being very clear in your rant targets.

6. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I mean if you're good friends with your neighbors, they wouldn't mind letting you use the internet you know? Like Er Gao's and Dungeon Defense.

Yabu and Wujigege like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You have your own costs but so does the website. It is dumb and shortsighted to think from just your own point of view. Use ad blocker if you want but don't be so self absorbed to complain.

PS I am using you and your in plural form not second person

8. MaliMi

MaliMi The Cookie Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this might be the issue when some readers requested for the chapters to be released like Qidian does. There you just scroll down and you are at the next chapter. Some lazy readers who are unable to simply click on the next chapter button after reading it complained.

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it is splitting one chapter into mulitple pages , similar to parts eg chapter 72 part 1, part 2 etc

10. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even then that doesn't mean you're friends. Either the publisher does not like it or the author puts up a facade of support to only have their publisher play the bad guy. If one has zero plans in licensing it, its a very risky move.

11. MaliMi

MaliMi The Cookie Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, is not this quite a normal thing? I mean, when one chapter is way longer than the others, the translator needs to work more to translate it. So splitting it and considering it as more chapters should be a normal thing. Someone complaned about this?

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  12. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    some do it for hobby. . .

13. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    <blinks>

Ooookay then.
    </adds 'Asian Hobbyist' to blocklist>

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I think it's the issue with the reading continuity. If you only get 1 part of 3 every 2 days, wouldn't it be dissatisfying? Of course you could stock pile, but tbh in my dictionary stockpiling almost means the same as dropping except with good terms. Basically I mostly forget about them.

Yabu likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    They are released at once. It is simply to increase ad revenue. It is part of a single release like..ermm....a physical book chapter :blobwhistle:

16. DiPz

DiPz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as i dont need to pay for anything it's all good to me.. those who rant for those chapter which are split into different part are those people who have nothing to do..

17. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm, I'm a bit unfamiliar with this concept since I've only read 1 or 2 novels that did this. If that's the case, I don't really see problem with it. In fact I don't even really see anyone complaining about this, although that could just be me not really too involved with this kind of stuff since I only read and then go read something else, maybe see the LCD once in a while but no one really complains about it there as far as I know.

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I run a website, so I beg to differ. I had some say things along the lines that this was the final straw, they were no longer going to read on my website. Don't let the door hit you on your way out my paying customers .:blobpopcorn:

I banned them of course.
    Used to mark them as spam so under spam I found a commenter who was calling my site Asian Communist and complaining on a Dragon Ball Super page on a pirate streaming site I believe.
    At least he could have gotten the name right.
    Such free publicity .
    Viewing recent comments by people is funny although it was accidental in this case.
    I found a translator using a WordPress free blog, commenting on a novel pirate site on their own novel and seemed amicable to the idea.
    I bet translators might own those pirate sites

19. Chize

Chize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are those complains about multiple page chapters a serious one?
    Cuz wth dude... You can just legitimately load the page and switch off your data and then switch it back up once you're off to the next page. Also a lot of readers use ad block anyway.
    This complain is really making me speechless in more than ways than one.

More importantly they're just reading it for free. The translators spent their time and effort for it, why the hell would you complain for something you didn't even paid for or helped in. Stop being ungrateful, and at very least learn to say even a simple thank you for the efforts the translators put in. These kind of readers are just so... :facepalm:

otaku31, AliceShiki, Chr0niC and 3 others like this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This is 2018, not the 90s or early 2000s. I actually pay translators per chapter, so it is even more of an insult.
    People are just entitled. I use to reply then later mark particular comment as spam but now I just ban and automatically delete all comments by the person

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.