Discussion Rant - wastage in skincare.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dizaster, Jun 17, 2021.

?

How wisely do you spend on skincare?

1. As much as possible.

8.7%
  2. As wise as a fish can be

47.8%
  3. Maybe. Never considered

39.1%
  4. Who cares I've got idle money to employ

4.3%
  1. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've realised how much amount of money is being wasted on skincare even by people who are crunching on pennies. Extravagant influencers and misleading marketing tactics employed by businesses has very much contributed to this situation.
    Washing my face today, I realised how much less of a product is required to get a normal good cleanse as opposed to the amount we generally use after inadvertently being influenced by creators on web. I could probably use twice the usage by just adjusting the appropriate quantity. Using more doesn't necessarily mean better results, it just means you're washing your product down the drain and contributing more to the business revenue.

Another thing that annoys me are the misleading information given out as a false marketing gimmick. I don't think a foaming cleanser works any better than a good quality liquid cleanser or even soap bars sometimes out perform them.
    My sister had visited a dermatologist in a posh locality seeing the good reviews on Google. And a year later, I went to a local dermatologist who also had good reviews but fewer because middle class people don't often refer to internet for seeing doctors neither do they leave reviews. Both of us had almost the same issue, excessively oily skin with acne issues and I managed to get away with half the bill with similar results. I didn't need that ₹500 foaming cleanser, a ₹250 soap bar did a great job. Check for budget friendly doctors before consulting because sometimes the area where they're situated does influence the price a lot.

And then there are people who waste products by applying less than what's needed cause the product was expensive :blobspearpeek:. If you're nit using the required amount, you ain't gonna get any results honey... You're just wasting it altogether. Either use properly or opt for budget friendly products that work well.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of people are heavily influenced by online reviews and recommendations and opt to buy expensive imported products whereas some local products provide similar if not better results at half the price. They say "ghar ki murgi daal barabar" ( chicken raised at home is valued the same as lentils. Chicken is way more expensive than lentils but since it's raised at home, we tend to forget it's value or take it for granted). If you're Indian or Pakistani, you don't need expensive clay masks, Multani Mitti is way more cheap and very suitable for desi skin.
    Minimise your skincare based on your skin needs . Familiarising yourself with your own skin and what you put on it is an essential survival skill.
    Be a " jagruk grahak - awake consumer" and don't fall for shady advertisements.

aintg, kkgoh, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd argue with it for a bit. It mostly depends on quality and importance of quality in this industry is much higher than in most others, since it depends on the ingredients a lot and the manufacturer a lot too. I'd rather buy a more costly product from Korea than buy a cheaper alternative from my home country as I know for sure the quality standards are much different and then use what I got wisely.

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not something that concerns me. If anything, my face wrinkles every time I reach for my wallet. :blobpeek:

4. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd rather not do anything to my skin lol.

Never had any blemish nor pimples on my face. Its a bit oily since my country is mostly tropical but hey i wont be spending money on sunblocks since i dont even get sunburn easily.

P.S
    Tbh Korean products isnt that great. I can buy decent ones less than those in America or Korea with the local brands.
    If youre gonna say anything near kpop idols then how do "normal" koreans look. Kpop idols are basically treated like livestock. On the clock skin maintenance and calculated calorie diet. Theres a huge difference between those and normal human beings.

aintg and otaku31 like this.
  5. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meanwhile me who's happy with some soap..... this is embarrassing.

mir, aintg, asriu and 6 others like this.
  6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I wash my face with soap once a day and that’s it. I used to use acne products a bit when I was a younger teen, but I’m prone to eczema and after an outbreak on my hands, the dermatologist told me not to use acne stuff on my face. For the most part, this works fine, I’ve gotten several compliments on my skin. When I visit a country that’s much more humid than mine, I do break out, but whatever. I don’t really care. My mom used to be horrified that I had any acne at all, though, even though objectively my acne was fine and at a normal level, and would force me to take acne medications and eventually birth control pills to control my acne. Because of the side effects I experienced, I don’t go to the dermatologist anymore...

7. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    My skincare spending is...

otaku31 and nightcore34 like this.
  8. crow008

crow008 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I think the amount you spend depends on your skin type and whether you are willing to. Personally, I care a lot about my skin so I am willing to spend a bit more. However, I do my research and buy products that are proper for me. I do admit that I read reviews on skin products on the internet but what else are you supposed to do? It's not like I can do a trial for something that is like $100+ dollars. Not everything has sample/travel sizes.

Some people are wasting products, but what can be done? It is their money. I would truly love skincare products to have sample sizes but corporations rarely do that. :(

Sometimes expensive is an indicator of quality but yes, as OP said, research! Know your own skin and get what is needed. I wouldn't say get the minimum because skincare is preventive but don't be extravagant and follow others because everyone's needs are different.

mir and aintg like this.
  9. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I agree that most Korean products are well known for their effectiveness and quality as they are like the capital of beauty with extensive research done on products and extremely competitive market over there has forced them to up their game quite a bit. But all I say is sometimes you may be sitting on gold without realising it. As a person whose face can give Dubai competition for oil production, a simple Gram flour and turmeric mask has worked wonders in terms of oil control. And imported products prices are sky rocketing due to the heavy customs paid. I am just saying that sometimes good quality products are within your reach and you don't realise it. Some local products are more famous in international markets than in local which is bizarre

aintg likes this.
  10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2021-6-17_20-54-5.png

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    aintg and ongoingwhy like this.
  11. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally understand you. I was born in a family where my mom, maternal grandmother, aunts and paternal side aunts too have never faced any skin issues. To them doing a bit of cleanup before functions is all that's required. Growing up in such a household, I've never considered the need of skincare as that seemed extravagant. Now that I am an adult who's almost done with education, I've finally realised what kind of mess my face is. Extremely tanned, dull and greasy with visible white heads on chin and nose and pores big enough to be called craters all over my face. At this point it's not optional but more of a necessity to take care of my skin. I am kunda jealous of everyone that says they don't need skincare, including my mother but every human is unique and what needs to be done, needs to be done.

I have no issues with how people willingly spend money, what am concerned about are those teens who are still reliant on their parents and squeeze out their wallets to get some shit cause their favourite influencer patronised it. I am concerned for the vulnerable not the capable.
    If you have seen, there are plenty of videos of pre adults spending ridiculous amounts of money off of their parents cards to purchase some random s**t that they find cool. They have absolutely no remorse for their actions as they often fail to realise the financial gap between the ones on screen and their homes. It's important that kids be educated on wise usage of money and what it buys.

mir and aintg like this.
  12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s tons of cheap and effective options out there .Personally I don’t use body soap or hand soap things like that because the ones I have in my house are heavily fragranced and lots of fragrance irritates my face . But everyone has different skin so if it works for you that’s great . Also sometimes the soaps on your body might be to harsh to use on your face because the skin on your face is more sensitive than the rest of your body. But yeah sometimes people use way more product then needed .

mir and aintg like this.
  13. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a very cheap and effective skin routine. :blobokhand:

1. Cheapest bar of soap, bulk
    2. Aquaphor, a little goes a long way
    wash your bedding, you filthy human being : )

So… the equivalent of about 10 USD a year? Pretty cheap eh?

Dizaster likes this.
  14. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine is
    1. Cetaphil face wash
    2. Rose water as toner from Local Herbal shop in a cheap spray bottle
    3. Salicylic Acid from the Minimalist as the actives for my skin issues
    4. Nivea soft moisturizer.
    5. Homemade scrub once a week.
    6. Homemade mask once a week.
    7. Ice for the open pores and acne

aintg and babybb like this.
  15. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man that’s so much effort :blobtired:
    I’m glad it works for you though~

16. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people do skincare as a hobby so they're happy spending money on it.
    I buy expensive stuff for my sister but Idk much about the products as long as she likes it.

17. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    What’s your recipe for it?

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well~ taking care your body for health and appearance is ok way to express you love yourself and thats good~ but there should be limit ya know, a healthy one~

tbh this cat kinda have mix feeling to people who overly obsessive(?) with beauty products~ maybe cuz. . ... they don't have time for proper research~ this cat talking about working class especially cat slave err those who work on office~ too much time mulling da boss yelling so better sleep on rest time~

maybe it also culture or peer pressure?

hmmm da mindset of high price better results kinda right on general but specific result may wrong nyahaha!
    well this cat kinda lucky perhaps cuz surrounded by advise, choice your beauty stuff based on your health~ there many living example within fa family lul~ this cat like dettol soap but imouto like other type~ we both get rid acne just from different soap~ there also shampoo, perfume, make up, toothpaste and other stuff~

different people have different need, its ok to try various stuff until you get (you think) da best results~

Nekopara-Anime-Vanilla-Chocola-1960418.png

mir, aintg and Dizaster like this.
  19. Dizaster

Reading List:
    Link
    Mask for oily skin:
    2 tbsp of Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) + 1 tsp of sandalwood powder and 1 tsp of turmeric powder.

(Or)
    1 Tbsp. Green Tea
    1 Tbsp. Fuller's Earth (Multani Mitti)
    1/2 Tbsp. Honey
    Rose Water.

As for scrub:
    1 tsp rice flour
    1/2 tsp honey
    Couple drops of milk to adjust consistency.

If my skin is feeling dry, i just switch to multani mitti + yoghurt

In fact some of the easiest skincare tips I get from the elders in family are:
    1- apply a layer of honey as mask before you start working in kitchen. Acts as barrier for my dirt magnet of a face as well as soften it up.
    2- wash both hands and face when prepping fruits and rub the juices that dripped on your hand on face, leave for a couple of minutes and wash off. Sometimes when i spill milk, i absorb it with a tissue and squeeze the liquid onto my palm to apply as mask. Unless you're allergic all types of fruits and veggies can be beneficial to the skin.

mir, aintg and Bobasis like this.
  20. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to think that a lot of products are better, but now I realize that it all depends on your skin type and condition. In my case, I've got an easily dry skin that's also prone to acne, and it's a little bit difficult to find products for this specific type of skin. So now I've started to use more natural products. I still use facial wash for acne-prone skin, but I have to make sure that the product doesn't dry my skin more. In addition to that, I use grapeseed facial oil and sunscreen. I'm still trying to find the best skincare routine, though.

P.S. If you have any suggestion or recommendation, please hmu. :blobsweat_2: