Ranting about Employer(s)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Nov 7, 2018.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever job hunt, send your resume and got a call in a couple of days; but...in my recent experience they want me in the following day for a group interview at 7AM!

Assuming it’s a group interview, it would last up to more than an hour! And I start work at 8.

Guess hat job isn’t meant to be mine.

prongsjiisan and Beltran like this.
  2. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    My rant would only be something like this:

I don't have an employer :blobsob::blobsob::blobsob:

Lazriser, Tsukkin and Miku like this.
  3. goldmark25

goldmark25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always just call in sick for your current job. Most people when they are going to interviews and such typically plan using PTO and/or sick leave. If you want the job you have to work with their schedule

mir, AliceShiki and MrSplashy like this.
  4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't this how it's supposed to be done? Unless OP applied as a joke.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. aridharma

aridharma Hikikomori NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    [in my recent experience], [following day for a group interview at 7AM!]
    You dint take the interview because dint want to start work 7AM. So what are you rant about?

6. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not ranting about the time they ask to start the interview. I’m ranting about the day they asked, tomorrow. They called me at 2 pm and tell me to show up tomorrow at 7AM, like I have no job.

7. goldmark25

goldmark25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately for you that is something you have to work with. YOU are applying for a new job that you want to work at. They won't be completely unreasonable. Almost all companies will work with you on a time that can work and if they really want you then they will work with you to find the right time. Otherwise you need to work with the schedule they put out to try and put yourself above the rest.

TamaSaga and MrSplashy like this.
  8. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    That was normal though. Calling interview for the next day is usual. I have more than ten times got called to interview next day. Worst i got is I was emailed at 6 PM to interview at 8 AM in a city 100 KM from mine.

And if you are really are busy at the time, well... it's kinda test to some to show them how willingly you work for them. Your current work or the new job.

TamaSaga likes this.
  9. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    o_O if I don’t have work in the morning I will fly over the ocean to get to my interview if I can; but if I have other obligation like my current job, I would not jeopardy that since I am not promise I’ll be getting the job.

It’s hard accepting the fact the interview time doesn’t work.

10. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Then why are you applying for another job if you have that job of yours? It's also the reason why there's an interview when it comes to applying/getting jobs because it helps them understand the applicant more, how they act, how confident they are, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a goddamn interview in a goddamn job.

It's not that hard accepting that the interview time won't work, it's the matter of either you landing the job or not or do you want your employee to somehow magically accommodate you and your precious time then? Holy molly, I even had to wake up 2 or 3 in the morning to prepare myself for those goddamn interviews and some people could even take it further. I know it's a 'rant' so rant all you want but goddamn you can just tell those employers of yours that you might not make it on time or if there's other way for them to interview you on a later date or something.

goldmark25 likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd just call my job and say I'd be late for work due to some circumstances or whatever. Sick leave would probably be better though.

Like, I get that you don't want to reach your job late, but that's why you call them (your current boss) in advance and tell them you won't be there in time.

12. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I did, but they are not accommodating. So yea, just have to let it go.

Not a possibility. I just change department, and so current my supervisor isn’t easy to reach. But oh well.

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you could call the secretary? Or a coworker? Or your previous boss and see if they can tell your current boss? There ought to be someone you could call to tell that you were going to be late/not come to work.

As in... If you were actually sick and unable to work, you'd call someone in your job to warn them right? Well, you just need to do the same.

14. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    7 am in the morning? Haha. If the interview goes behind that I can’t even step outside to make a phone call. Oh well. Not worth making a mark in my history. But I would definitely think about it for next time.

15. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to interrupt this tango of @AliceShiki making suggestions and you... savoring your dilemma.

Just want to point out, that if you need to take leave, in most cases you can call in at anytime, utilizing the 'leave a message function' on the majority of phones in the modern world.

I have had employees calling in for leave due to bereavement, due to car troubles, due to house on fire, ranging from 6 am, 3 am, to the night before. Shit happens, people need leave sometimes and they call in.

That is just how employer employee relationship work.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanted to point out that it's not a good idea to generalize it to the whole world... As in... Sure, phones in my country do have the "leave a message" function, but... I've never met a single person that knows how to hear those messages. Like, seriously, never. (I don't know how to either btw)

So... At least over here, nobody uses this function because nobody knows how it works.

Cascadian Rex likes this.
  17. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

IKR, I tried leaving those voicemail of messages but dont know how to retrieve in other phone. It is better to leave those over messengers.

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I use whatsapp or something similar if I need to leave a message, because nobody here knows how to listen to voicemails...

19. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    ehhh.... key word being most and majority, I guess.

that said. knowing how to use the tech and ensuring there are ample method for employees to reach me out of hours, I feel, is my responsibility. and I'd also accept email, text messages. and even a note under the door at the main entrance, as long as It gets to me.

and I know what you mean, about voice mail, I also almost never used it until I had to, for work.

BUT! Objection!
    That is also a generalization. *wink*

anyway, I guess trying reach your superior should not be restrained by time of day, or dark of night is my point.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh huh... I think you'd find that just because, someone uses the word nobody, it does not mean its a generalization, it might indeed be nobody as they claim!

THAT'S RIGHT!!! YOU HAVE MADE A GENERALIZATION ABOUT PEOPLE THAT USES THE WORD NOBODY!!!
    BWHAAahahahaHHAHAH!!!