Question rate my translation (no spam or hijack)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by tact, Jan 8, 2016.

?

how it my work

1. 1/5, trash (worse then mtl)

26.7%
  2. 2/5 (better then trash)

48.9%
  3. 3/5 (not bad but not good ok ok)

22.2%
  4. 4/5 (good)

2.2%
  5. 5/5 (same as other translator or better)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, as everybody else have already pointed out, Even if it's not 100% TL accurate, it has to pass the english standards. Since I think that's the point of translating the novel, to make it readable for english readers. With that being said, as long as you get the point across or have the translations contextually correct, IMO it's acceptable. At this point you just have to get an editor or at least a PR person to make it decent. I rate it 2. Sorry for being harshly critical even though I'm a trashlator myself ;(

Edit: and one more thing, MTLers redeem themselves for having decent english quality since they can't guarantee accuracy :D

2. NinetH

NinetH Demon Yuri lord....lazy guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i'll be honest, you suck. well that is normal for the first time.

i only read this line and already gave up reading the rest.
    the translation is wrong and some of the grammar. I'm not actually good at grammar too that's why i have editors.

俺から十メートル先に木の板が立ててある。
    There was a wooden plate place 10 meters before me.
    俺はその板を睨みながら、弓を引く。
    While staring at the wooden plate, I drew my bow.
    矢を引き絞り、狙いを澄まし、放つ。
    i drew the arrow to limits of my bow, cleared my aim, and released it.

矢は見事に板の横を通過して森の中へ消えた。
    The arrow beautifully passed through the side of the wooden plate and disappeared in the forest

……

「リーダー下手くそ。これで十回目だよ」
    「Leader you suck, this is the 10th time you know」

my advice: learn jp(at least hiragana and grammars) before you TL

Poor_Hero, Ldyrdy, Asf and 2 others like this.
  3. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    After translating...There would be an Editor right? I think that will fix things?
    Like the folks said some grammar and punctuation problems which makes your work Incoherent.
    Not familiar with this stuff about the editor and translator...But I think you convey the ideas right, well 'cause its readable...
    So I'm giving this 3 out of 5...

PS: GANBATTE!

4. Ababil

Ababil Non Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was planning to read your translation..., but then I saw "how it my work" and "worse then mtl"..., you know the rest....

I think spellcheck is important....

Poor_Hero and FAiri110 like this.
  5. raven

raven What to type?

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude i Think its gud i dunno abut raws but eng k

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, did you proofread this? I understand that english is not your first language, but there's plenty of errors that could have been caught (using different spelling for same word, run-on sentences.) You probably could have run it through a grammer checking program like grammerly or even just Microsoft word. Straight MTL without any knowledge of the language and no editing/proofreading doesn't work out. Try learning some basic grammer laws of both languages.

Poor_Hero and FAiri110 like this.
  7. FAiri110

FAiri110 Your Secret Stalker

Reading List:
    Link
    Erm, I think you should've edited the tl first before posting it here. Corrects the grammar and punctuation because it is hard to read. I do not know any Japanese though. Some that are too obvious:
    Runas>>Run as
    ron>>Ron
    "Hey, little shit Do not move!">>"Hey, Little Shit, do not move!" or "Hey, Little Shit! Do not move!"

Incorrect use of capital letters (use I instead of i in pronoun), no full stop (.) at the end of the sentence, well...yeah 2/5
    But good luck on editing ^^

8. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    English isnt my 1st language.. I'll just comment a little bit.. The conversation feels blocky... like any other MTL, its feels like each sentence are saparated from the other. And I want to ask, do you have basic knowladge on japanese..? Like the vocab, hiragana, katakana and their grammer? I think any long time anime watcher would have a semi descent vocab on the language. With only vocab though, you can translate better using mtl that translate all kanji into hiragana/ katakana, or just plain voice function from google translate. Though I think I can do a bit better with that part, as I have a bit confidence in my japanese vocab, I never study kanji and my english are bad. So..
    anyway, your translation arent good. Imo

9. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    Urghhh the urge to hijack.... I though you have tlc and editor... did you finally break up with them?

10. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Incorrect, people are allowed to call you slow even if you do Translating for free. It comes with the territory (I would know). Whether or not you should care is another matter cause for everyone 1 person who thinks you're slow there are 10 people who love you.

Another point though is that how long are the chapters are you translating? 1k? 2k? 3k words? 3h for a 1-1.5k word chapter is really slow, like you should at that point stop, and either learn the language your translating from, or to.

Also your English is really bad.

11. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Its choppy and doesnt flow well. Lots of grammar mistakes. Some things make no sense like "the target 'the leader is poor '" what is that?

12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when your english is this bad you should just consider this the first step. many with this kind of situation do the TL's in parts. most of the time an editor will proofread and adjust the grammar, sometimes they even mtl the chap and cross reference to check the tl a bit. something like part 1, this. part 2, check nonsense areas with mtl. part3, edit spelling/grammar. part 4, compare raw and tl to make sure everything still fits the story after the edits. part 5, fix any of the pointed out errors.

in the above tl does parts 1 and 4, editor does 2 3 and 5.

something along those lines is probably what you should try to do at this point. Also raw mtl's are terrible so it might sound weird to make any use of them, but recently edited hybrid mtls(and even regular edited mtl's depending on the simplicity of the writing) have actually ended up getting better. machine translation programs have improved a lot in the last year or two imo, usually not all that useful by themselves, but they can sometimes provide some clarity.

also don't worry about speed things atm. faster tl's of the same quality are obviously better for the reader... but a fast crap TL is still worse than a slow good one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  13. Qianweijia

Qianweijia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd give it 1.5--Equal to MTL

14. Lickymee

Lickymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My inner grammar nazi is tingling

Poor_Hero likes this.