Ratings - too many or too few stars

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Fallion, Sep 4, 2017.

?

Should the rating system be changed?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2017.
  1. Yes - I want a good/bad rating system instead

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Yes - I have a good idea or saw a good idea in the comments

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Like/dislike system wouldn't improve it.

I think everyone knows that the current system of ratings isn't very reliable... But unless someone gives a better idea (which IMHO, is not like/dislike system), I don't see it changing.
    The vast majority of people don't rate, and the system is well known to be flawed... I don't see why it would be a good idea to be put it on top when there are more important things to be on the top.
    I report people all the time, and my reports are solved all the time, it's pretty reliable.

kenar and LaDyViL like this.
  2. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say that it would be an improvement, but at least it would not pretend to be a measure of quality. The star rating here is totally useless feature as a quality indicator. Youtube got rid of star rating because of the pointlessness of it.

And I don't advocate to like/dislike, I just make note that using a binary system just makes it a like/dislike system.

Ease of use.

As I said, if you want a more useful statistic, you need a lot of data. That is why surveys come to you, not the other way around. Surveys actively seek you.

If you want the rating system to be totally useless, fine, make it inaccessible as you want. Make it invisible unless people scroll all the way down. That makes them interest to cast their vote.

But if you want the rating system to have a modicum of respectability, then show that it is something important. That you wanted our opinions. Not put it all the way down like it is the last thing you wanted.

Uh... You report people who give 5 or 1 stars for stupid reasons? You report those who try to skew the result? And they remove these reviews/ratings or something? Say yes and I will take this statement to heart. Say no and this statement is pretty much pointless in our discussion.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    How about this rating system. Everyone votes on what they think the rating is, any number, no limits. 1 million is fine too. Then those that rate it get together and fight to the death. Last man/women/child/critter/whatever-you-self-identify-as standing gets to set the rating.

In this way, no one could dispute the rating and it would be 100% fair.

Fallion likes this.
  4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    but that would be inaccurate >_>

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, if you think it is inaccurate, just come up to the winner and say that you "disagree" and after a "friendly discussion". I guarantee there would be no one left to disagree by the time it's over.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's not an improvement, then there is no point in changing.
    You don't have access to the reason people rate unless they leave a review.
    I know this is a joke suggestion, but... No.

NU doesn't want to create needless drama or hate between users, not happening.

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no drama or hate in fight club though : /

8. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I think so too:

Never did I believe that it could be improved and I didn't advocate that they use like/dislike system, I just comment about how Fallion's suggestion is just like it.

We apparently are in agreement.

Then report those that has reviews. Those that gives reviews like "Too much hate so I give five stars to pull up the average" or "Over-hyped, one star because it is actually average" and the like.

And since it is apparent that your answer is No to any of my questions, your statement about the report feature being effective (against these cases) has zero relevance to the discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.