Discussion Ratings with Few Chapters

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by VixenKiss, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    balphsemy!

so here's what i feel...
    i sometimes dropped a novel even when it was early like 1-10 chapter.. why?

1. it's boring..
    everyone have their cup of tea.. like what you say you drop issth while other think of it as interesting... if you think it's boring, why not dropping it?

2. it's really early to tell?
    for some novels, even just the prologue can draw you in to read further, some people are used to that and some story have a quick pace of events and some others just feel so slow..for example ze tian ji, the MC cultivation just started on 100++ chapters and for some it can be too slow. while some other novels like JP, the MC will be invincible since the prologue so it's all back to the reader's own opinion

3. first impression
    this is influenced by many factors, synopsis, prologue, other ratings. and by no means i honestly believe if a series with 1-2 chapter have 1 score of rating given by a person, others will follow suit without thinking much. the duck theory XD...

honestly if you really interested in a novel, just give it a go. fck the rating, fck people opinion and read it. it's your time it's your choice.

2. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    First decent post.

I don't really mind or care too much, it just irritated me that some good novels got bad ratings from people who only read the first few chapters.
    C'est la vie, it's their fault they're missing out.

3. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    that's one of the advantage and flaw of community and democracy... everyone has their own opinion which can influence others...

yup just pity them...
    *look down on those that's missing out like Gods looking down on mortals*

4. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with rating/reviewing though, is that despite it mostly targeting other readers by giving them your impression of a book, it's also helpful for remembering why you dropped a book. Say, I read 10 chapters and found the story boring, but I found the synopsis at least to be intriguing. Without a review to remind myself of why I didn't like it in the first place, I might pick it up again despite my previous dislike, since I read so much that a novel that I have previously dropped I might have forgotten the reason why.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    kainee, asriu and Scarecrow like this.
  5. Fluffy

Fluffy Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - few chapter is enaugh to give an impresion of what might come
    - good for you doesnt mean its good for other people
    - the best thing to do to avoid a bad rating is to delete the rating system it self

-------- question to TS --------
    - why should i read more when i get bored or had enaugh in like 4-5 chapter ? (or even 1-3)
    - should i read more if i think the translation is bad and/or not up to my standard ? (or when i dont like the story)
    - how long should i mark it if its take too long for its release/story development ? (the posibility of me reading it again and get even more disapointed)
    - is the rating system not mean to give your own impresion? (at least 1 person can only vote once)

note: there's still me and many other that dont give a shit about rating and just read what i like and never give a rating... what i often see is how many people put that novel in their reading list... thats enaugh ^^

6. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    why wouldn't I rate Help Gooogle Sensei and such after 1 chap as 1/5 when there is pedophilia,incest, lousy humour and obsession with boobs.I like bewbz and even find some 14y girls attractive, but saying 6y girls are sexy and BOOOBZ boobs I like boobs, it's clear that author has mental issues

kainee likes this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Errr.. You want something to remind you why you didn't like a story? ...That's a little...

I don't know about you, but there have been more than a few cases in my life where I've returned to something I didn't like the first time, and gotten really into it. First impressions stem from a lot of things.. not even just the content of the story. A little time, a different mood, and fresh eyes can really change your perspective and allow you to enjoy something you previously couldn't. You shouldn't be afraid to give things a second chance, and you definitely don't need a bunch of reminders beforehand about why they suck.

8. Fluffy

Fluffy Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or he can just make a section on his reading list and named it trash... so whenever he go see a novel and its already on his trash list he dosnt need to read it ^^

9. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't give a bad review with just a few chapters ,unless it is truly horrible , a lot of people seems to think that a ''slow'' start is bad ,lol . As someone who prefers character developement and world building to action ,i prefer a novel to take its time to start with a solid begining.

As for a good review with few chapters ,i actually gave one ,i just though the novel was exceptional .
    I think i can recognize gold when i see it. *_* my Dao is eternal.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/everlasting-immortal-firmament/

10. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I have too much to read with too little time. I dont' have the desire to waste my time on second chances.

11. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Gibberish, cat. Gibberish. Of course you should prioritize things you're really interested in reading, but if you expect me to believe that you have some strictly scheduled never-ending list of books to read, then I call gibberish. I've yet to meet a person who wasn't guilty of having downtime. Time they basically spent doing nothing between deciding what they wanted to do.

12. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    And why would I want to waste my precious down-time on a novel that has only a minimal chance of me enjoying

13. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like I said you should force yourself to read it, geez! I'm saying that it's okay to forget why you didn't like something the first time, and try it again. Over time, your preferences might have changed. .. or you might have just not been in the mood for that kind of story the first time you picked it up. Your poor first impression of it could have been for any number of reasons... There's absolutely no need to meticulously remind yourself that this or that particular novel sucks. That's just reinforcing a potentially mistaken preconception you have about it.

14. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that as I get older and read more and more, my standards have only risen higher and any novel that didn't fit my past self's criteria, assuredly wouldn't meet them now. And I'm fine with reinforcing that perspective. My free time is finite and light novels/webnovels (which are what I have been discussing here) just don't evoke enough caring in me to give them second chances.

15. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like your past self had a stringent checklist that every novel you picked up was immediately tested against. Like I said, and keep saying, there are many reasons your past self could have arbitrarily decided you didn't like the novel you picked up. Those reasons may no longer exist. It's common. .... ... And the entire concept of downtime means that you're already wasting your "finite" free time, so it's not like you'd spontaneously combust if you happened to accidentally reread part of a novel you didn't like.

16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    And those reasons would be in a review. So if I decided that the reasons for not liking a novel was insufficiently objective, yes i suppose I might read it again. But I still think that you should have a review that covers over your thoughts and opinions so that you would be prepared for such a possibility.

17. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? After all, you have finite free time. Shouldn't you stop wasting it putting sticky notes on everything just to remind you that you don't like them? If you actually have any strong feelings about the novel, you won't forget that you dislike it. So you're just wasting your time, aren't you?

Besides, cat, I get the feeling that when you don't like something, you're completely capable of spouting any random number of "objective" reasons that it's bad. At best, you're just persuading yourself to never touch that novel again.

18. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I like putting the sticky notes on (reviewing) though. It's something I enjoy doing. Unlike reading that novel :p

If I can persuade myself and other people that a novel is bad even if the review isn't the most objective, well then it's good enough for me *shrugs*

19. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Gee, well I guess I can't tell you not to do something you enjoy. By all means, cat. Stick your notes to everything!

Just don't be too afraid to pick up things up and glance at them again from time to time, if they sound interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.