Re-translate first 9 chapters of Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mavsynchroid, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavsynchroid

Mavsynchroid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would anyone be willing to re-translate these 9 chapters? The whole novel itself is only like 16 chapters long, plus 3 extras. However, trying to read even the first chapter is absolutely horrendous. It's also littered with T/N notes over explaining simple sentences.

For example.

I think of myself as having a bright head, being 10 years old and understanding everything that’s taught up to 18 years old at the academy. (TN: he basically says he knows every subject taught at the academy and the academy is attended until up to 18 years old)

Pretty sure it's not basically... Pretty sure that's exactly what the author wrote.. Doesn't seem like much, but this is in like every other paragraph. Some sort of absolutely pointless T/N.

That along with mixing up the past and present tense, and other grammatical errors, I was hoping someone would be willing to fix it all up. It's a pretty fluffy and cute short story, but is unfortunately ruined by an overconfident yet not ready translator. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to the chapters, so I wont, but they're easy enough to find. It may sound like I'm exaggerating but check it out yourself if you're curious. 12 T/N notes, some where the translator is literally asking for help in the first chapter alone, and they're extremely short chapters.

“Fufufufu”(Cecil) (TN: Laugh sfx)

..... I mean.... C'mon.... Really?.. -_-

Anywho, if anyone would be willing to clean these up and bring more happiness to the online novel world, that would be so awesome!

lohwengk likes this.
  2. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Wrong forum to post. Should be either novel general or general chat.

2. You could ask the tl from chapter 10+ to redo chapter 1-9 or have it proof read. Or just do it yourself and put it in pastebin or something.

3. Its already completed. No need to re-translate. Just find someone that can reupload chapters and edit it. *see #2.

Sabruness likes this.
  3. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is more of an editing problem though. You need to ask the tl to allow it, as it is their work.

4. Mavsynchroid

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, that seems kinda tough in a sense. If they didn't allow it, wouldn't we be stuck with a sub par version forever? That's why I thought it'd be better to ask if someone could actually re-translate the chapters. The translator himself makes a bunch of T/Ns saying he's not even sure if he translated the sentences right or doesn't know if he got the meaning right.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I personally think it would be better to re-translate, as like I said above, the translator themselves weren't sure if they got the meaning right. However your reaction is what I fear most concerning translated novels. That once a novel is translated, regardless of the quality, it's MUCH less likely for it to get a good translation. That's why sometimes I'd rather certain novels weren't translated at all, so we could wait for someone more qualified to do it. Think it's a shame for the original authors who wrote the stories to have such poor translations done of their work.

lohwengk likes this.
  5. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asking the translator was about editing. If someone re-translates it, it's fine.

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    At best,you are certainly an auteur.
    At worse, you come off as spoilt brat.
    Here is the deal, you are dealing with amateurs.
    You are being overly demanding for something you didnt pay for.
    Also, you can easily fix this yourself as many have pointed out.
    Start a free wordpress blog and edit out the translator notes. It is not difficult
    be the change that you want to see.
    It is too easy to simply talk. You should try to walk the talk.
    Cheers!

Kuro_0ni, ludagad and An Anime Addict like this.
  7. Beer_Kitty

Reading List:
    Link
    And again..

1. Its already completed. Why retranslate something thats already done. Its a waste of time and effort tbh. Just find someone who will proof read and have them talk to the tl and edit the work.

2. This is just fan translations. It doesnt need to be perfect. It isnt anything close to a book or something that will be sold.
    Why the need to have it perfect if you can understand every detail.

3. If being a grammar nazi is your pet peeve then do it yourself. Theres already the translation and the raws. Just copy paste and edit.

Just saying. People here are fan translators and some are professionals and most arent. Theyre not paid by anyone to do the work like professionals. They only get donations or ad revenue from views. So whats the point of having multiple translations if most of the readers had already read the novel.
    As said by Wujigege, you didnt pay for the translation. Just accept the fact theres something to read and just read what is given to you. Unless you are willing to pay someone to translate it perfectly.

Kuro_0ni and Wujigege like this.
  8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolutely agree. Though a translator could certainly be advised how to improve on their work should they wish to do so. I noticed from the examples two types of translator notes. One is useful and necessary to people who are just starting on Japanese novels - the sfx sounds might be unfamiliar at first. The other note was clearing up the meaning of the sentence, because they translated it keeping the original structure. If you, as a translator, think that what you wrote down isn't clear enough, then it's better to rewrite the sentence and break the original structure to make it readable. It's much better than writing an additional sentence in brackets clearing up what you meant. That's my two cents about the topic.

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I think translator notes should be at the end of the chapter. Putting them inbetween paragraphs is annoying.
    We have hyperlinks or footnotes urls or whatever they are called for a reason

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Certainly. But I think it's excusable, since there are people who aren't very familiar with the tech stuff and don't know how to do that yet. It's still an amateur translation. But it's best not to overdo it, just when it's absolutely necessary. If it comes to idioms and stuff that needs more explanation, it's best placed at the end of the chapter.

11. Mavsynchroid

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never agreed with the "It's free, so don't complain" logic. It's the perfect excuse for translators to never grow. Not to mention most of the webnovel novels aren't entirely free. However, this one is. Yet, if I made a pretty delicious meal, yet defecated on it at the end before presenting it to people for free, I think people would complain even if they didn't have to pay. :) An extreme comparison, but that's how I see it. The original authors worked hard to make these novels, and it's an insult to them for translators not to take them seriously. Using someone's hard work as a practice tool also isn't taking them seriously.

I unfortunately can't read Chinese, so I can take no part in it. You might just be referring to editing, however this translator has said again and again that they're not even sure if they even translated the sentences right. That goes beyond editing. You're right when you said I could start my own wordpress blog, I suppose. However, that wouldn't change how bad the original translator is. A bad translator is bad. A careless translator is careless. A lazy translator is lazy. Whether or not something is free doesn't make any of these truths untrue. I don't believe calling these truths out makes someone a spoiled brat. I think passing any sort of translation off as fine since it's free is simple minded. How will translators/editors ever grow if they're never criticized? Sure, it's easy to say I'm being selfish, but I think that's incorrect. I'm merely being brutally honest.

Just woke up so my mind's a bit foggy. May come back to edit or expand upon this once I'm more awake. :)

Sabruness likes this.
  12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd go for this. Convallaria did a cracking job on translating so this would be the best option. Besides, it would be nice to have all of the chapters in one place.

Kuro_0ni and LynneSuzuran like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know who I am? Your misinformed statements are a joke.
    I started the "its free doesnt mean that we cant complain" mantra.

And you call syosetu hard work? These novels are rought drafts. And it is not Chinese, it is Japanese.
    Your ignorance is pretty outstanding for someone so arrogant.

You are certainly an auteur, I know the owner of Convallarislbrary since I help set up the site, web hosting ads etc.
    You might actually get your wish @LynneSuzuran
    How lucky for you, right?
    But please educate yourself, you use a lot of words but the ignorance of your post is just wow.
    Over and out!

EDIT: The novel is now on Alphapolis, so its most likely taken down from Syosetu and no longer free.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. Beer_Kitty

Reading List:
    Link
    This guys is really a moron or something.
    Dont lump other translators to a corporation like qidian(webnovel).
    Those guys are "PAID" to translate the novel chosen by the corporation.
    The tl from chapters 1-9 and even the tl for 10+ arent under any corporation whatsoever.

Theres a difference between a fan translation and a legit one. Like how homecook's are different from 5star restaurants or a DIY home project to a full blown construction site.

15. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for showing up late. Wuji's right, the RAW is no longer available on Syosetsu (I only have the RAWs from chapter 10 above; and don't let the number of chapters fools you as one chapter of this novel is so lengthy lol). The free chapter RAWs I can get are from Alphapolis' free sample. So, that's one major trouble...?
    Therefore, I'd support editing the first 9 chapters rather than re-translating them.
    PS: Kimamani Translate did a good job with chapter 1-4.
    Well, that's my opinion for now, at least XD

Kuro_0ni, Wujigege and Sabruness like this.
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything's good as long as the quality improves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.