Spoiler Rebirth of a Star General

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Shivani, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Shivani

Shivani Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese name : 重生之女将星
    NU link : https://www.novelupdates.com/series/rebirth-of-a-star-general/
    Summary
    The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong.

He Yan was born to be a Star General.

She was merely a stepping stone for her family, and was used as her brother’s substitute. She had fought on the battlefields for years, bringing peace to Xi Qiang, stopping the barbarians… When her brother recovered, she gave up her position with great laurels brought to her name. Without further ado, she was married off.

During her married life, she was forsaken by her husband and even suffered from a strange illness, thereby losing her eyesight…

The young and pretty concubine stood in front of her, speaking softly: “The decoction you had drunk that made you blind, was instructed to be send to you by the elders of your family. But as you know, the dead tell no tales. If you live, you will be your family’s greatest threat!”

A great general of her time, the heroine of the country, died pitifully in the hands of those shameless women, who only knew to fight for a man’s favor… How absurd!

When she opened her eyes again, she had become the drill fields officer’s daughter, who was weak and arrogant, innocent and naive.

They had stolen her glory, taken her life, lead her army and betrayed her feelings! She had crawled back from the depths of hell and would take back everything she had lost, one by one.

Bring the world under her feet and with her beauty and nobility, overwhelm the nine prefectures!

But would she get out easily once she entered the barracks?

Hardly did she begin her adventures when He Yan met her arch-enemy of the previous lifetime, that young hunk whose “enemies would retreat as soon as he attacked”.

The chic and cool female general versus the handsome and ravenous young man. Two efficient generals team up to conquer the world!

Note: Guan Xi is the west part of Hangu Pass and Guan Dong the east part. The Hangu Pass seperates the Upper Yellow River and the Wei valleys. This place held considerable importance in the ancient Chinese era.

2. Lishasharma

Lishasharma The Kitten in the blacksuit

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone have spoilers for this. The novel seems really interesting but I need some confirmation whether it's any good or not before starting to read it......

3. Emme Unofficial

Emme Unofficial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like the author's other works, this one is interesting, although the plots and settings are considerably different. This novel has a more realistic MC. You can read the reviews to find out more.

Lishasharma and Humbledaisy like this.
  4. Syringe

Syringe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am very much a sucker for revenge stories. I would gladly read this if what you said about MC is true. I wonder if reading this using an MTL would finally be a good idea. :hmm:

5. 08phamann

08phamann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know who the ML is?

6. Emme Unofficial

Reading List:
    Link
    It's Xiao Jue. He appears in the next chapter. There's a second Male Lead too

TripleColor96 likes this.
  7. Emme Unofficial

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive never read MTLs but from what the reviews say I guess it's worth a shot

8. Emme Unofficial

Reading List:
    Link
    It's reincarnation as well as second chance as the main focus of the novel is NOT revenge. The bastards who killed the MC get proper retribution but the story is centred on the MC trying to regain the military strength of her previous life and becoming a general again, this time using HER name and not her cousin's.

9. Gottago

Gottago Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How is this story in the same universe as the Malicious Empress?

10. dreamcatchergyu

dreamcatchergyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not in the same universe.

11. Gottago

Gottago Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then how come on Novel Update, it's listed as "shared universe"?

12. dreamcatchergyu

Reading List:
    Link
    no idea... the person who updated it probably made a mistake

13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I was nodding along as I read the synopsis, but then...she reincarnates into someone else's body... This kind of thing always disappoints me, as I still prefer for the MC to prevent her future tragedy than be the loser who has to take revenge in someone else's body. I mean, she'll regain her glory, but it still won't be in her own name, but the body she inhabits. So futile. It's really a matter of taste, but this kind of body-snatching scenario is not in my favorites, except for quick transmigrations where it's contractual or something. I'll still read it, just wanted to complain a little.

14. dreamcatchergyu

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the body she reincarnates into still has her name so... I get what you mean, but there's always other things to look forward to I guess. For eg in malicious empress, SM managed to take her revenge, but in her second life, technically her enemies have not committed those 'crimes', so they don't know what's happening. In star general, the enemies are being punished for what they've done, and seeing their actions come back to haunt them... is actually very satisfying to me lol

Another thing is because everything that has happened in He Yan's life stays in this timeline, Xiao Jue is able to pick up clues here and there and find out about her past by himself, unlike in malicious empress where SM had to tell XJX about her past as a 'dream/ vision'. I really love this process of gathering and piecing clues - and the grand reveal is seriously full of feels.

Honestly love this novel as much as malicious empress, but each to its own I guess :)

15. Ahmya

Ahmya mammiyaah~

Reading List:
    Link
    Got really interested because of the reviews.
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

Emme Unofficial and RaiLi like this.
  16. Zyphera

Zyphera Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the main focus of the story isn't revenge, but can you pretty please give me a detailed description of how those people who screwed her over in her previous life got their retribution—seeing bad people suffering is my guilty pleasure, I suppose.

17. dreamcatchergyu

Reading List:
    Link
    He Yan's enemies and Xiao Jue's enemies were in cahoots so the two of them worked together to take down the two parties.

Basically He Yan challenged He Rufei to a sword fight during a banquet, and of course, he lost. The military officers present were able to see that He Rufei truly lost to her because he was less skilled than her. During the course of the sword fight, she kept taunting him, saying things like he has a good sword but unfortunately he does not know how to use it. It ended with her kicking him behind the knees and making him kneel. She then whispered into his ears "Older brother, are you worthy of my sword?" The original sentence in Chinese is more impactful - "Older brother, using my sword, you -- (do you) deserve it?" (there was a pause after 'you'.)

And then of course, being the prideful failure he is, he sneaked an attack on her with a dagger lathered with poison just as she was getting off the stage. Then together with Xiao Jue, they questioned him (back and forth conversations) and told the emperor that He Rufei is not the Fei Hong General who went to war and returned victorious.

Then thereafter because He Rufei was also charged with colluding with enemies, basically the entire household were killed, except He Yan's younger sister who married her ex-husband. That's about it.

Pretty satisfying :D

18. Emme Unofficial

Reading List:
    Link
    Around chapter 35, He Yan starts training in the army. It's so fun reading it that you want to keep knowing more. Gives off Mulan vibes but I'm okay with it. He Yan is like the weakest in the army and at first, Xiao Jue is like, that kid won't be allowed to go to the battlefield but seeing He Yan persevere so much makes me tear up.

Uncopyright, elparis and lailai like this.
  19. dreamcatchergyu

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a review of the novel by a (Mainland) Chinese reader on Weibo. Personally think it's very well-written and wanted to share it with you guys hence I translated her words (permission sought from her to post this). Just a head's up, it's quite long. Enjoy :D

Always wanted to write this book review, finally finished it today.

After reading about the lives of so many people, it seems like even after so long I haven't been able to walk out of it. From time to time, I'll come back to see the traces I've left behind in the past. When I look back at the duration that belonged to me uniquely created by 'Female Star General', I feel touched and warm.

I have always been chasing after the footsteps of every single one of them, watching the joy, sorrow, separation and unification of each character in the novel. Until the day 'Main Story Completed' appeared, I know, I can only accompany it till here.

Yan Yan (晏晏) regained her sword, Du Du (都督/ Commander-in-Chief) found back his true love. Lin Shuanghe remains glib-tongued with his cheeky grins. Chu Zilan carefully planned and strategized every step in the first half of his life, but ended up losing the entire game in his later years. He will ultimately no longer be able to walk out of that small Jiyang city.

Hua Youxian (花游仙) had returned to Jinling's Cloud Tower. After an eternity [1], she still ended up at the starting place of her dreams. From then on, her pipa tunes often sung of the vicissitudes of life. The tables of guests would lament on her unparalleled beauty and talent, just like before. Only she herself, would know of the real sufferings. The sound of her pipa drifts far away, and what she wants to convey, is probably further away from 'far'. Perhaps in her spare time, she would still occasionally recall upon the foolish love and ignorance of her youth, back when she was still a young lady. Was it unforgettable? Perhaps it was, but what she could give, was but time. Time will teach people to forget, push everyone to grow up, and walk towards the future.

Yang Mingzhi (杨铭之) was granted short but pitiful chapters, yet it seemed as if we had seen a whole life of growth and maturation. There are many times where people are unable to act out of their own volition (i.e. has to compromise). What made me sigh mournfully, was that the one time he could not do as he wanted, he lost everything of the past. 'Unrestrained youth, crazed youth, despised Kunlun, laughed at Luliang, sharpened his sword for several years, and is now showing off its brilliance. [2]' Back then in Xianchang Academy, the youths proclaimed that they would ride well-bred horses while drunk. Little did they know that with the grind and passage of time, all they wished for was but contentment, just like an old man brewing fresh tea after the rain while exchanging greetings. [3] To him, the lost splendor will be unforgettable for life.

Shen Muxue (沈暮雪) was actually not in the wrong. Her falling in love with Xiao Jue was a matter of the heart. However, love has always been a dilemma since ancient times [4]. There are too many forks on the road to success, and the one she happened to take, was not one of him waiting at the destination.

Yan He (燕贺) must be the most unforgettable (意难平 [5]) character. His first appearance gave me the impression of a young blood that just appeared in the Jiang Hu, as if only when his hair had been styled high enough, would it show his mettle. The silver robe he wore accentuated the pure chivalrous courage in him. He is bright, competitive, arrogant, reckless, and valiant. Yet it was such a young lad, whose empty heart was filled to the brim, by a gentle, elegant and intelligent lady in that spring day. The general has the courage to rush onto the battlefield for the country, and also the tenderness of chasing after his sweetheart with joy. That year, he had racked his brain and clumsily wrote down the unfathomable 'Deep flowers, shady willows. Willow and flower intermingle in search for news. The wife's heart was betrayed by the gentleman.' [6] Back then, who would have expected that these words, would reflect the ending later. That righteousness was engraved into the bones, even if he were to start over again many times, he would still choose to fight for the world. He had a small heart for human love, but great love for the world [7]. Because of his great love, he was destined to be wrapped in horse hide [8], with the ending of an eternal sleep in the desert. Since ancient times, how many people would be able to return from a war expedition? He broke his promise, Cheng Xiu (承秀) did not manage to wait for his return, and from then on, all that remained in her eyes, was a passer-by. While in despair, she gave birth to little Mu Xia (慕夏) - her only source of light henceforth. I have always liked Cheng Xiu, she is too strong. If it was a bystander in present time, they will definitely criticize those that commit suicide because of love. 'The persistence of one in love, who would be able to understand?' How would outsiders be able to understand sufferings of the person involved, they would only blindly lament that the person isn't magnanimous. If Cheng Xiu did not have Mu Xia, she would not hesitate to follow and leave with Yan He. In the end she left peacefully, as if all these years she was making a guarantee to Yan He, that without him, she would still be able to single-handedly raise Mu Xia. She was diligent in managing the house, and lived her life earnestly. Looking at Mu Xia's face that was of no difference from his father's; seeing him without an expression of joy in the spring wind, unbothered by the summer cicadas, unperturbed in winter; seeing that he is as pure as that person in his teens, who will come forward when he sees injustice, and be willing to stand up against disrespect and unfairness; looking at him don on his wedding robes and marry his sweetheart in front of her, hand in hand with her as he made a vow of a pair for a lifetime; seeing as his life becomes increasingly blissful and fulfilled, without the regrets that shouldn't be involved. Until she was surrounded with grandchildren around her knees [9], she finally went to settle the old debt with Yan He.

Yan Yan and Du Du will continue to be blissful, and will watch the moon twenty years later, thirty years later, fifty years later, together. Their Yao Yao (瑶瑶) will slowly grow up, attend school, and be envied upon for having such amazing parents like Feng Yun (封云) General and Gui Yue (归月) General. She will meet her sweetheart, dress up in red, and marry a particular young gentleman.

The story will forever stop at these 3 words - 'Main Story Completed', or it might continue to be written somewhere we can't see. It's just that, though you and I know of everything in the book, how unfortunate it is that we're but mere outsiders. After all, they're just the lives of people on paper. In the end, the ones who are unable to walk out of it, are people like you and me, the unwilling outsiders. After reading finish about the lives of these people, it seemed like I've had a very very long dream, and had experienced a relationship that ended without rhyme or reason. However, I would probably be able to walk out of it, after all there would always be a new encounter.

I really like what Cha Cha (茶茶;千山茶客) said: "When I was young, I always liked to watch tragic performances on the stage and listen to songs filled with sorrow. I always felt that the joy in the world, are not as memorable and unforgettable as tragedies. As I grew older, I only wish for a satisfactory ending in everything, but I know it is difficult."

It's my first time writing such a long review, and also the first time a book gave me such an impulse. I'm thankful to Cha Cha. If there is a 'next time', we will definitely meet again.

[1] 千帆过尽: after experiencing many things, aka a rough life, and reaching current point in life. Even though I used 'eternity', it is definitely not able to encompass the full meaning of this Chinese idiom.

[2] “少年自由少年狂,藐昆仑,笑吕梁,磨剑数年,今朝显锋芒” This line came from a particular Song poetry 江城子 and was slightly edited by Cha Cha. 'Unrestrained youth, crazed youth, despised Kunlun, laughed at Luliang, sharpened his sword for several years, and is now showing off its brilliance.' It is describing the energetic and daring youths, and how unrestrained and wild they could be. They could scorn and despise the grandeur of Mount Kunlun and Mount Luliang. After 'sharpening their swords for years' i.e. putting in hard work for years, they could finally reveal their magnificence.

[3] 'Back then in Xianchang Academy, the youths proclaimed that they would ride well-bred horses while drunk. Little did they know that with the grind and passage of time, all they wished for was but contentment, just like an old man brewing fresh tea after the rain while exchanging greetings.' These two sentences described the youths who were armed with big dreams for the future. However, as time pass by and as these teens experience setbacks in life, they will lose the initial excitement and naivety and will slowly understand that ultimately, all they wanted was to have no regrets, and be contented in life.

[4] 两难全: difficult to satisfy/ fulfill the wishes of both parties.

[5] 意难平: 不能释怀、放不下,不甘心的感觉,念念不忘却没有回响 I used 'unforgettable' but I feel that this Chinese phrase is more than that; it encompasses the feeling of being unable to understand, unable to let go, unreconciled and hoping for something one will never be able to get.

[6] 花深深,柳阴阴。度柳穿花觅信音。君心负妾心。This is part of a poem, and I really didn't want to translate it cause I know I don't have the abilities to do it. 'Deep flowers, shady willows. Willow and flower intermingle in search for news. The wife's heart was betrayed by the gentleman.' Allow me to give a more complete explanation. 'Deep flowers, shady willows' refers to plentiful and flourishing flower bushes and thick willows, signifying the deep feelings of the husband and wife. 'Willow and flower intermingle in search for news.' is referring to the wife who is waiting, seeking and searching for news of her husband. The last part 'The wife's heart was betrayed by the gentleman('s heart).' It's referring to the husband who failed to live up to his promise and return to his wife, hence 'betrayed'.

[7] 小爱之于人心,大爱之于天下。Of course I took liberty in translating this sentence. There's also a Chinese saying that 'small love' is selfish while 'big love' is selfless. In other words we can understand it as Yan He loving Cheng Xiu, but beyond that, he has a selfless heart for the world.

[8] 马革裹尸: wrapped in horse hide after death/ die on the battlefield

[9] 孙儿绕膝: surrounded by grandchildren aka have a lot of grandchildren

For this who are able to read Chinese, I suggest reading the original post. It's seriously really well-written and some nuances can't be encapsulated in the English translation. https://m.weibo.cn/7256735254/4487856620073698

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  20. masrifa

masrifa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, I would like to thank you for the spoiler.

But can you tell me:
    Yan Yan and Du Du are He Yan and Xiao Jue right? And who is Yao Yao, is she their daughter? Do they have really have children?

I mean, I read in some chapters in the end, it is mentioned that they have no children, or may be I miss that part?
    If I do miss that part, can you tell me in which chapter is it?

Thanks in advance.

TripleColor96 likes this.