Spoiler Rebirth of Malicious Empress of Military Lineage

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Rena.anggreina, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe he goes...
    "What?? I will have children?? Why nobody tell me about this?" *glare at some hidden guards that protect SM.
    HG: "M...m..master, Madam ordered us to not telling you" *silently crying because of some fierce dragon.

2. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So that how the story end. We dont get to see how xie and empreas interact after the war. I was hoping for more. I guess I have to wait for the whole novel to be translate. Awwww I wish I can read chinese.

3. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, but maybe rdaww is still writing that, writing so much is hard especially if it is full with onion ninja.

4. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    It still has a bit more before the ending. And yeah. The onion ninjas are harsh in that last summary. Every time I read that part, rain starts pouring in.... :blobsob::blobsob::blobsob::blobcry::blobconfounded:

5. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Bear in mind all those labeled "the finale" is one single chapter. there is still quite a bit to go.

Snowwhitefox likes this.
  6. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is more? So excite!!! Thank you. I'm glad there story does not end with cliff hanger.

7. Nanashy

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the full thread you will find the spoilers for the chapters after this, they are not summarized chapters like the ones rdaw wrote tho.

Snowwhitefox and astaterix like this.
  8. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really. I been reading all the post on this thread and dont see it anything. I'm so addicted that I even read all the summarie twice. I even created account just to post. I need intervention. Lol do you guys feel my pain.

Tatsuya27 likes this.
  9. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    The happy moment is when both MC and ML forced one of their twin son act as reps of emperor and taking care of the ministers and problem of the harem, while the other son is to protect his brother from harm as military man. mein while both MC and ML goin travel the world and back to bring a lil sister for the twins.... if i remember it right.

morticia_addams and PurpleMousse like this.
  10. Nanashy

Reading List:
    Link
    That's strange, i clearly read here how she
    falls into coma and she returns again to the past, there she meets the monk again and he advises her what to do to return back. I think she needed to go to the palace her irl body is. But she needs somehow to gain the trust of the ML again.

Anyway she somehow manages to make that other ML to bring her to his home and he tells her to return fast to her real husband as the other ML is sure she is terribly missed. Then we return to the reality and ml is at a picnic with his family and MC wakes up.

11. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    The finale (vii)
    inc cliff
    In less than a month of each other, the Yongle Emperor and the Xiande Empress had passed away. The world mourned.

The emperor passed, the empress followed. Those ladies of the former harem who had heard the news rushed to pay their respects. The empress had been generous to them, add to the fact that the emperor had been cold to her was enough to cause them to feel pain and sigh.

The empress’s father took the news calmly. Perhaps he had long expected her to make such a decision. He was saddened, yet he accepted it.

In accordance to her last will, Shen Miao had the empress buried together in the imperial tomb, leaving only their name forever in the history books of Daliang.

What followed was a lot of things.

When the Yongle Emperor passed, there was the Xiade Empress. Then the Xiande Empress passed, who was to take charge? Though the emperor’s will was present, Xie had yet returned to be enthroned. To call Shen Miao ‘empress’ was not proper. But the Yongle Emperor had no other blood relatives except for Xie.

No imperial court would be stable in the absence of a dragon ruler.

The imperial court which had been silenced was becoming noisy again. There were always a few flighty courtiers who wanted to do something. They had the ambition but not the courage, and so they were unwilling to let go of this chance.

Shen Miao asked Eunuch Deng: “Is the disturbance getting stronger?”

“Yes. They are clamoring and pushing for a regent to temporarily govern the country, to await the return of Xie and then to make further decision,” he answered.

“Presumptuous,” Shen Miao’s lips twitched. “They want to steal the country!”

Eunuch Deng was quieted.

He did not know the reason but he had always felt this Princess Rui had a temperament similar to the Xiande Empress, yet was more harder-edged. Usually she was mild, speaking only pleasantries. But one cold look was enough to shake his soul.

She was very similar to Xie Yuan.

Before Yongle Emperor’s passing, he had instructed Eunuch Deng to support Xie. The eunuch had been in the palace his entire life and he could be helpful in many matters. Now that Xie had yet to return, he cannot afford to be remiss in assisting Shen Miao.

“Eunuch Deng, it’s time to for me to clean things up.”

The eunuch was stunned. “Your highness…”

“The court is in chaos; if the confusion spreads it will cause trouble and harm the people. Let me be the wicked person, it is unnecessary to worry about how others think of me. It is important to first calm down the hearts of the people.”

“But…” Eunuch Deng looked pointedly at her bulging stomach. “You are still pregnant.”

“It is because of this child that I can make an appearance,” Shen Miao smiled. “The child has royal blood, if they dared to take action they would have to worry about the repercussions. Although I am from Ming and they will certainly make use of this fact, but the child in my stomach is of royal blood and would not dare to disrespect me.”

Eunuch Deng thought it was reasonable. “This can be a temporary measure, but then your pregnancy can no longer be concealed.”

“It was only concealed so as not to affect the battlefield situation. Now that the war is ending and the dust is settling, there is no longer any need to do so,” she said to the still frowning Eunuch Deng. “You are worried that the palace would not be peaceful, that someone would harm me.”

Eunuch Deng hastened to bow. “This slave will surely protect your majesty and the royal prince!”

Shen Miao nodded. “There is work to do.”

After Eunuch Deng had retired, Shen Miao sat down to relax and watched the falling leaves outside the window.

The Empress had left too quickly, and the remaining problems were quick to resurface. Things were far from over. Before Xie returns, it was her job to calm down the chaos.

“Since you have been in my stomach, there wasn’t really a good moment,” Shen Miao whispered to her belly.

“But everything will be fine.”

Five days later, the deceased emperor’s edict was publicly announced. There were those who doubted the will, but his ministers were meticulous. Before the Yongle Emperor left, he had prepared everything well. The hundreds of officials were left speechless.

There were some who have the good intention to say that the country needed a few regents, but the idea was shot down. There was already an heir to the dynasty.

For a time, there were widespread rumours. They all say that Shen Miao who was from Ming was obviously a spy. Now she had revealed her wolf heart and ambition to squat in the palace.

Yet the rumours died just as quickly when Shen Miao’s pregnant belly was revealed. Eunuch Deng and Aunt Tao vouched that the Xiande Empress had ordered her to enter the palace to protect the bloodline.

With this child’s appearance, nothing untoward happened. Furthermore, when Shen Miao appeared she had powerful thunder in one hand and careful subtlety in the other. It was a slap to the faces of those trouble-makers. It raises the feeling that if something happened to her, none of them would have good lives after Xie returns.

Half of the reason was because of Shen Miao, the other half was their fear of Xie.

But that did not mean it was all leisure for Shen Miao.

She had to walk the talk and cannot just use casual, empty words. She read the memorials and petitions. When the Yongle Emperor died, many problems accumulated and it only increased when the Xiade Empress passed, causing the documents to pile up. She read them until the night.

Her maid earnestly pleaded with her, but in the end she accompanied Shen Miao.

Luo Tan half-shouted, half-asking: “Cousin, why must you do so? If you don’t trust those them, you can at least believe in the previous emperor’s people. Give all these memorials and petitions for them to handle, wouldn’t that be better? Why must you push yourself, you are still heavy with child.”

Shen Miao shook her head: “People’s heart change, one must not let go of authority easily. I am not a prophet, in such a short time I can’t see their true nature. It’s impossible to take into account of future variables, it is better for me to see for myself. If something goes wrong, it won’t be easy to correct it.”

Perhaps the emperor did have his confidants, but once he and the Xiande Empress had passed, nobody knows their thoughts. If this was Ming, Shen Miao could understand them. But her time in the Daliang palace was not very long, how could she fully understand the characters of these people?

Eunuch Deng who was present nodded in approval. When Shen Miao had said those bold words to him previously, his heart was not truly convinced. If all she had was mere words when facing the many courtiers, wouldn’t it affect the dignity of the royal family? Women are after all more delicate. Before, the Xiande Empress was able to accomplish things because she was the empress. But Shen Miao had never done this before. Seeing her read the documents until nightfall made him feel that Shen Miao was forcing herself.

Fortunately, Shen Miao did well. Her handling of matters was not lacking. Although Eunuch Deng was not versed in the bureaucracy, he was literate and knew a thing or two about the court. Those officials who was suspicious of Shen Miao and opposed her in the beginning were easing back due to her good work, or else they would keep finding fault with her.

Eunuch Deng was somewhat gratified. If Shen Miao was this capable, and more than the Xiande Empress; perhaps Daliang could really be the prosperous, lasting country the Empress Dowager had dreamed for.

“This is too backbreaking,” Luo Tan said. “But yesterday I heard them gossiping. They say you were lucky that the decisions you made were able to satisfy them. What ‘lucky’, it was obvious that you were great. Cousin, how is it that you are able to do everything? You could even handle the chaos in the palace, what exactly can’t you do?”

Shen Miao have her a look. “There are a lot of things I don’t know.”

“For example…?” Luo Tan asked eagerly.

“For example, I don’t know how to be like you, finding everything to be so curious.”

“…In any case, it is going to be hard. You’re almost ready to give birth, brother-in-law is finishing the war. Then Uncle Shen Xin and my father will come too, we will have a big family reunion and discuss the future. What’s the bitterness of today compared to that?”

Shen Miao smiled slightly. “Yes.”

The hard work of today will definitely be worth it.

News from Xie came back from time to time: Ming had been destroyed, the Daqin emperor saw the hopelessness of the situation and had fled north. The Daliang army was marching towards the Daqin capital. After taking the capital, Xie will then return to Daliang.

This was the best news Shen Miao had ever heard.

Shen Miao sighed. Xie found out the matter of the Yongle Emperor and the Xiande Empress. When he returns to Daliang, he would go to the Imperial Tombs to pay his respects. Who knows what he was feeling in his heart? His only blood relative in this world was Xie Yuan and now he was gone, leaving Xie alone.

Well, not truly alone. He had a family; at least he had Shen Miao and his child.

Aunt Tao laughed: “It is estimated that you will give birth next month. There are more than a dozen days to go; you should pay close attention at this time.”

Luo Tan rubbed her hands. “I’m so excited; don’t know if its a little niece or little nephew, I’m dying with anticipation. I think it would be a little girl, it has been so good and quiet.”

“That’s not for certain,” Aunt Tao said. “Her belly is sharp and pointed; it could be a little prince.”

Shen Miao smiled as she listened to them, yet her heart was restless.

After giving birth and Xie to return, perhaps the difficulties of the past year and soldiers fighting will end. Then she could finally have a good, relaxing time.

However, things would not be perfectly smooth all the time. Even if the ending of the story is good, the middle part has twists and turns and full of difficulties and obstacles. It was as if for a good ending to be truly precious, it should not be easy to obtain.

And for Shen Miao who had walked unimpeded towards the perfect ending for some time, now faced a troublesome problem.

12. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your hard work. You are the best.
    falls into coma and she returns again to the past, there she meets the monk again and he advises her what to do to return back. I think she needed to go to the palace her irl body is. But she needs somehow to gain the trust of the ML again.

Anyway she somehow manages to make that other ML to bring her to his home and he tells her to return fast to her real husband as the other ML is sure she is terribly missed. Then we return to the reality and ml is at a picnic with his family and MC wakes up.
    [/QUOTE]

13. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Crisis

the finale (viii)
    It was a rare autumn day with good weather.

Shen Miao was in the garden reading the memorials. Luo Tan somehow found a kite and rediscovered her childish heart, playing with the maids of the palace. Infected by her laughter, Shen Miao could not help but smile.

Eunuch Deng appeared in a rush, his face solemn. Shen Miao saw that he had urgent news and went inside.

“It’s not good, the Lu family is attacking the palace!”

Shen Miao frowned. “The Lu family? Weren’t they eradicated in Fuyang?”

“In the Lu family there was a miss, her husband is a military officer who was raising a private army. When the Lu family was besieged, they were not in the city and pretended to be ordinary civilians. They maintained close ties with the Ye family, and when the Ye family was suppressed, Ye Maocai had given them huge funds. Now they have weapons and horses, and they plan to seize the palace. They are already attacking the city,” Eunuch Deng said.

Shen Miao’s face hardened. She said coldly: “Centipedes don’t die easily. The Lu and Ye families must have wracked their brains to deal with the royal family.” She looked at Eunuch Deng: “They are coming for me.”

He wiped the sweat off his brow.

The remnants of the Lu and Ye families would find it impossible to defeat Xie who had the command of the army, therefore they decided to attack the city at this time and fulfill the wishes of Ye Maocai and Lu Zhengxuan and avenge them. Today in the palace there was only Shen Miao in charge of the palace, and she was carrying Xie’s child in her stomach. Perhaps they felt that by killing Shen Miao and the child, it would cause Xie to be suicidal.

When it comes to dealing with Xie, this would be the greatest revenge.

Was this the influence of Ye Maocai and Lu Zhengxuan? They were already dead, yet they still had such a reach.

“How many soldiers are there in the city, how many guards are there in the palace?” Shen Miao asked.

“There are enough in the palace to protect you, but those rebels are already slaughtering the civilians outside of the city. Once they break in, they will commit a massacre. They have mixed themselves in the crowds; if one was to deal with them it would take a lot of manpower. This would deprive you of your guards; thereby leaving you open for them to take advantage.”

Shen Miao frowned. “In short, it’s either the palace or the city, choose one of them?”

Eunuch Deng was silenced, such straight-fowardness made him unable to answer.

“Understood,” Shen Miao nodded. “Send out the guards, first protect the civilians.”

“Princess Rui!” Eunuch Deng remonstrated. “You cannot put aside your own safety. If you fall into danger, how would one account to Rui Wang!”

“It is not that I want to do so,” Shen Miao said. “But, are those people really only outside the city? I am afraid they have long infiltrated inside. What they want to do is alarm the people. If the guards remain in the palace, it would be easy for them to stoke the fears of the people with a few words. Even if the palace is impenetrable, once the people are shaken, everything will fall apart. Especially since he is coming back, the more we cannot afford to fall into chaos.”

She saw the disapproving look on Eunuch Deng. She said, “Moreover, I would not joke around with my own life. Before Xie had gone, he had placed people with me. They will protect me.”

Some of Xie’s elite soldiers had stayed back and then followed Shen Miao into the palace. Her heart is clear: there was no other choice. This final move of Lu Zhengxuan and Ye Maocai was nauseous and disgusting. If Shen Miao was selfish and did not care for the fate of the people, it would affect Xie’s enthronement in the future and give him a terrible reputation. A new emperor must ensure that he has the hearts of the people. If he lost their support, the foundations will be unstable.

It is for Xie’s sake that the guards cannot stay within the palace.

When Eunuch Deng saw that she had made up her mind, he no longer protested and made the arrangements as she commanded.

Shen Miao was not a flighty person. Her brows tighten. Things have head to such a juncture; enemies had taken the chance to attack when she was giving birth soon.

No matter the cost, she must protect the child in her stomach.

Hearing the news, Luo Tan came over. She too was worried and tried to persuade her. “Cousin, it’s better to go elsewhere and hide until the child is born. It is not safe to remain in the palace. Everyone knows you are here. There are too few guards here; they will definitely attack the palace.’

Shen Miao shook her head. “If I run, I am afraid that those people will accuse me of escaping by myself. This palace is the central position of authority. If I retreated and allowed those thieves to enter, the prestige of the royal family will collapse.

“But…”

“But nothing. In a few days Xie will be back. As long as we can hold out for these few days, it will be all fine.”

As Shen Miao expected, on the second day the streets and alleys were full of rumors that the Princess of Rui had taken the soldiers to protect her escape, disregarding the life and death of the common folk. They say the Daliang palace had been abandoned while the rebel thieves were fighting the city garrison at the gates, threatening to break through soon. When that day comes, rivers of blood will flow.

Civilians were gullible and gullible people were the easiest to manipulate. Whether it was rumors or truth, they could only depend on the blessings of the royal family. But now there were rumors that the ones they depended on had fled by themselves, leaving the rest of them like fish on the chopping block awaiting slaughter.

For a time, there were accusations of the royal family being heartless and Shen Miao had cold and uncaring words. They scolded Xie who only cared about hunting for glory and ignored the common people, scolded Shen Miao as wicked for abandoning the city and escaping.

Shen Miao sat in main seat of the court, dressed in purple and yellow robes and the royal headdress with her hair tied in the royal fashion. It was clear that she looked young, yet she had a regal, commanding aura.

“Let the court session begin,” she ordered.

The officials glanced at each other before one of them stepped forward. “Princess Rui, wouldn’t this be too risky?”

This person had objected to Shen Miao’s presence in the beginning; he was the most vocal of the opposition. But in recent days, he had quieted down and dutifully accepted her.

“By taking the risk, only then the people will believe that we have not abandoned them in their darkest hour.” She stood up with the assistance of her maid Jing Zhe, as wearing the royal trappings made it inconvenient to move about.

The palace was more like a castle than an opulent mansion. She led the hundred officials up the tower, and more and more civilians began to gather below. Mo Qing took charge of the guards, ready to prevent an assassination attempt.

Someone in the crowd recognized Shen Miao and excited shouted: “It’s the Princess of Rui!”

Immediately there was a surge in the crowd, causing fears of a stampede towards the tower. Shen Miao looked down and slowly opened her mouth:

“People, lately there have been many rumors. The scrap remnants of the Lu and the Ye are using vile methods with the intention of misleading people.”

In the wind, she was not loud or soft; yet it had a firm tone that let the people feel the determination in her voice.

“Don’t be fooled by them. I swear in my name as Princess of Rui, I stand and fall together with the city! I live together with you, and will fight together with you!”

There were sighs of relief from the civilians, but there were still doubters.

“Our Daliang army is outside of the city. I am here, and I am of the Xie royal family. The Xie’s honor is not extinguished, I will not escape. Our generals and soldiers will not retreat, we can be defeated but we will not flee. What’s more, how can mere remnants cause shake us? What a joke!”

The people watched as she spoke resoundingly, she was a young woman who wore royal robes. Her chin was slightly raised, letting the people see a glimpse of her arrogant, majestic aura.

“That is why: don’t believe in the rumors, don’t spread them, don’t be afraid and don’t worry. I am right here in this palace, who dares to come?”

Her purple cloak fluttered in the wind, and raised high above was the flag.

The common folk were silenced, and then they cheered as one, their voices ringing loudly and shook the heavens!

Nobody would decline a victory. To inspire the civilians, there needed a powerful oath. Though there was no ruler present, this woman was there to uphold the great cause, her courage causing eliciting admiration and assurance.

It was a very awesome sight.

The civil and military officials standing behind her were much moved by the scene.

This was the power of speech; this woman was able to evoke their passions and make their blood boil, invisibly strengthening the city gates.

Shen Miao turned and left.

Over the next few days, the slanderous rumors were quelled. Dissenting voices were shouted down. After all, Shen Miao personally ascended the tower during such a critical situation. Words can inspire people reveal the power of the human heart.

However, the situation outside of the city remained chaotic as the Lu and Ye forces intensified their assault.

Shen Miao read the memorials and petitions as well as making arrangements for the guards to reinforce the garrison soldiers, becoming busy the whole day. She was heavily pregnant and yet she felt that she could leave her responsibilities.

One day she got up early and saw Luo Tan rushing in. “Cousin, someone is here to see you.”

Shen Miao frowned. “Who?”

While in the palace, other than talking to the officials there were no others who would come to see her. She had no relatives nor friends, the ones closest to her were already in the palace.

“Let me help you up to see,” Luo Tan said.

Helped by Luo Tan, Shen Miao went out to the main hall and saw someone sitting at the table, being served tea by her maid Jing Zhe.

Shen Miao whispered: “Pei Lang?”

He turned his head.

During the past year, too many things had happened. When Pei Lang decided to leave, in some ways it was the best choice. With their knowledge of their past lives, they did not know how to face each other.

Pei Lang smiled. “I heard the country in trouble and the palace in danger. Though I don’t have any special talents, I can at least help share the burden.”

Shen Miao frowned and did not speak for some time.

Pei Lang: “Don’t think too much into it. I am from Ming, Daliang is at least a neighbor. Moreover we are teacher and student and not insignificant friendship. It is right for me to help.”

He smiled, as if the past had never happened. Shen Miao looked at him carefully and saw he was serene, as if he had let go of the past and removed a burden from his heart.

For Shen Miao, the past was long gone. She was more concerned with the future, and Pei Lang’s appearance can indeed be helpful in solving many problems.

“I owe you yet another favor,” she said. He had taken a knife for her last time.

Pei Lang said quietly: “Owe?” He laughed. “Good that it can be thought of that way.”

He looked up at Shen Miao. “Lets not waste time, let us begin to handle matters, the country is the most important thing.”

The most important thing was to clear out the rebels and ensure the safety of the city’s population. Because of the conflict, the memorials were endless. For the heavily pregnant Shen Miao to handle alone was stretching her to the limits.

After Pei Lang had arrived, the burden on Shen Miao became lighter.

He was after all the chief advisor for Fu Xiuyi, he understood the matters of the court. Furthermore, he had a natural talent in this regard. Even though it was his first time in the Daliang court, it was as if he was very used to the work.

However there was still the difficulty of manpower. To protect the city civilians would require drawing off soldiers fighting the rebels. It was a headache inducing problem, a risk nobody wanted to take; yet a stalemate was also not the solution.

“We only need to delay for a month. Once Xie returns, these rebels will be cleaned up,” Shen Miao said. “It is good enough to resist for this period of time.”

Pei Lang helped to read the documents. They did not discuss their past lives or other sensitive matters, as if they were all things long gone. There was no point in raking over the past, sometimes playing the fool is the best way to get along.

When Pei Lang saw the mentally crippled Ye Hongguang, his gaze lingered for a long time. He too saw the startling similarities between Ye Hongguang and Fu Ming. Therefore he was exceptionally gentle and considerate to Ye Hongguang who was pleased to play with him.

“However,” Pei Lang said with concern, “The Lu rebels also know about the inevitable. But I have consulted with the garrison commander yesterday: the rebels did not make any moves yet. They are behaving abnormally, and I feel they are preparing something.”

“No matter what they are planning, our situation does not change,” Shen Miao sighed. “I thought Daliang’s security was solid and impenetrable. Who’d knew the Lu family still had this hidden card.”

“The Lu family hates the royal family and yet they know they can’t win, thus they kept this trump card for this very last minute.”

“The old thieves are unwilling to die peacefully,” Shen Miao said as she took the memorials. “But we cannot abandon this country, nor allowed it to fall.”

Luo Tan came over with a food basket. “You two have been reading for so long, but it’s time to eat. Especially you, cousin. You are not only eating for yourself anymore, there is a child too. It’s your child, but I still don’t know if it’s a nephew or a niece!”

She took out the cakes and soup. “Mr Pei Lang, please eat some too. I have seen these prepared in the kitchen with my own eyes, they are clean!”

Luo Tan had been idling and bored in the palace for days. She could not help Shen Miao and Pei Lang to read the memorials, and so her thoughts were occupied with the little child. The palace had many people and who knew what were in their hearts? Luo Tan moved a little stool to the kitchens to keep watch on the cooking.

Shen Miao smiled lightly. “Thanks for your hard work.”

Pei Lang’s eyes fell on her stomach. “The day should be soon?” he asked hesitantly.

“Don’t know the actual day,” Shen Miao said. “But I feel it should be soon.” She caressed her belly gently. “For it to be born in such chaotic time, it will be really difficult for him.”

“What chaotic time?” Luo Tan protested. “What cousin said is wrong. Today the world is at peace and there is a future of bright prosperity. When brother-in-law comes back, this little fella will have a war-hero of a father. The entire world will be cheering for his birth, who else can get such glory? Such a good fate, but your mouth made it sound like a bad thing.”

Shen Miao laughed. “You are so glib, why not be a singer story-teller?”

“If I do become one, I would be the best in the world,” Luo Tan said proudly.

Pei Lang shook his head when he saw their liveliness. “It is good enough just to have time pass like this. I just hope the rebels will not cause any other trouble.”

Pei Lang’s words were prophetic, his fears were realized two days later.

Especially at this critical juncture, mistakes could not be tolerated. As long as they held out, Xie would return in time to settle the troubles. Whether rebels or bandits, they would be wiped out from Daliang. After the extinction of Ming and Daqin, there would be only one flourishing country in the world, and this country would be in the hands of Xie.

Now the rebels were anxious, wanting to escape to the ends of the earth.

They had not intended to survive at first, their attack on the Daliang capital was a suicide mission to kill Shen Miao and her child. But each day passed without success: the ordinary folk were not incited and the royal family was unshaken. The rebels had intended to sow chaos and let Xie see the tragic deaths of his wife and child.

Therefore, two days later the rebels launched a frantic attack.

As Pei Lang had guessed, the rebels were indeed preparing something. It was a plan made by Lu Zhengxuan and Ye Maocai to launch a coup and force the emperor to abdicate. How did they know that their plan was instead used on an empty palace?

But as Shen Miao said, their situation did not change.

In the Lu-Ye plan, the Lu military officers would deal with the royal family imperial guards. But the rebels were not as daring as the Lu officers, and the imperial guards were not as powerful as the days of Emperor Yongle. Thus the situation was in a stalemate.

Diverting the guards to protect the civilians meant there were less people in the palace. Shen Miao’s situation was very dangerous.

“Princess, do you not want to recall some of the guards? It would make the palace more secure,” Eunuch Deng suggested.

“Adding one or two people is pointless, and there are so many outsiders,” Shen Miao said. “So be it for tonight, even the rebels have to rest. They failed to achieve a breakthrough today, so their morale would be reduced by half. Tonight will be the most critical time, after tonight, things would be much easier.”

“Still, it is worrisome to hear. Princess, is the child alright?” Aunt Tao fussed.

Shen Miao subconsciously touched her belly. These days she could clearly feel its kicking and moving in the stomach, but it was very calm tonight. She laughed: “It is sleeping quietly, knowing that it cannot make a mess tonight, it is very well-behaved.”

“Since you have made up your mind, then stay. But you still need to be prepared. If anything happens, let your secret guards take you away to a safe place. The palace is important, but life is paramount. The ordinary folk will know that you only escaped at the very last moment and will not blame you. After all, you have to protect the royal blood,” Pei Lang said.

Shen Miao nodded. “That is also what I think.”

“Then everyone should stay alert,” Luo Tan said. “Tonight is the decisive night. We are all here and united as one, there is nothing much for us to fear. The year is almost over and there is nothing left but some minor nuisance, who would be afraid?”

Luo Tan grew up in the Luo family, she had courage and pride in her bones. The more dangerous it was, the less fear she felt. Her words caused those in the palace to feel their blood boil. The eunuchs and maids in the palace all knelt, vowing to stay in the palace.

Things did not become that desperate.

Shen Miao sat in a very spacious hall, the vast space caused one to be light-headed. Pei Lang was nearby arranging the documents sent by the officials at noon for Shen Miao to read. Luo Tan somehow dug up a nine-ring chain game and was playing with it. Aunt Tao and Eunuch Deng were at one side serving warm tea from time to time. It seemed that each were busy with their own duties.

This was to alleviate the tense atmosphere.

However, the guards would come in regularly to report the situation in the city. The rebels were attacking fiercely, killing civilians in their path and wanting to cause panic everywhere. Fortunately Shen Miao had dispatched the imperial guards to fight against the Lu, and nobody could get the upperhand.

The rebels were truly cunning: on one hand they were openly causing disorder among the people, on the other they were infiltrating the civilians to secretly attack the palace. They could hear the shouts of the soldiers outside from time to time, and with the occasional fires being set, none were truly calm.

It was like a bow, being pulled tautly and then loosened. Every move affected the heart, making it difficult to settle down.

The night felt exceptionally long, the smoke from the incense burners seem to hang in the air, giving off fragrance but also obscuring the scene.

At dawn, the ruckus outside were diminishing.

Eunuch Deng and Aunt Tao were relieved.

The captain of the imperial guards came in. “Reporting to the princess: the Lu rebels have already retreated, and those remaining in the city have been cleared. The garrison is now placating the citizens.”

The crisis had passed.

Luo Tan stretched, she had played with the chained rings but could not solve it. It was not that she was not clever, but it would take a miracle as her mind had been distracted the entire night. Though she was excited, she was still exhausted. She yawned. “Cousin, the crisis is over. I stayed up the night with you, does this count as earning some merit?”

Shen Miao looked up, she was a little better off than Luo Tan. Tired, but not sleepy. “Everyone had worked hard. When Xie returns, all will be rewarded.”

The captain also smiled. “The princess too have worked hard.”

To remain calm at such a critical juncture and even stay up the entire night at the palace was in some way fighting together with them. For a woman to do so was admirable. Everyone could see what sort of a person she was. If she had escaped by herself, the city would have been lost.

Pei Lang looked up from the documents and smiled at Shen Miao.

“Since things have been settled, the princess should rest. Staying awake for the whole night is not what a pregnant woman should do,” Aunt Tao said anxiously.

Helped by Aunt Tao, Shen Miao took a step and felt something in her stomach. She stopped.

Luo Tan saw this and said: “You have been sitting for a long time, your legs must be stiff. Let me give you a massage, otherwise it would be difficult for you to walk.”

“No,” Shen Miao forced herself to calm down. “First help me call for the midwives to come.”

Aunt Tao and Luo Tan glanced at each other. Aunt Tao reacted first. “Hurry! Call the palace midwives!” she ordered, her voice half excited, half horrified.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that last chapter is huge compared to the average chapter; I believe around ten times as long. The writer actually took time off of work to finish it.

MatchaGirl likes this.
  15. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    dun dun dun

The finale (ix)
    To be doubly safe, Aunt Tao had the two best midwives of the kingdom to help deliver the baby.

Midwife Li said: “Princess Rui, please don’t worry. For women, the first time can be scary, but next time your future births will be smooth and easy.”

The older Midwife Liu scolded her: “What are you saying in front of the nobles?” She looked at Shen Miao and said, “But Princess, we have helped deliver many births, to see someone as calm as you now is our first time.”

Shen Miao was lying on the bed, looking serene as if it was no big matter in her heart. From the start, she was calm and not nervous at all, causing them to think it was not her first childbirth. Even those going through their second childbirths were not as relaxed as she was.

But Shen Miao’s heart was not as tranquil. Regarding childbirths, she had to think back of her past life long ago, when Fu Xiuyi did not care about her. She had given birth with great difficulties and uncertainties.

Now this child was carrying the hopes of everyone in the world. Whether to Xie or her own self, or Empress Xiande or Emperor Yongle or to the Shen family, this baby would definitely be a precious treasure. But the more you cherish something, the more you are afraid of losing it.

She forced herself to breath and exhaled deeply to clear out such worries from her mind.

“Princess Rui, please eat first,” Midwife Li said, holding up a bowl of sweet soup with egg for her. “You will need a lot of energy and time to give birth.”

Though she had no appetite, Shen Miao forced herself to finish the food.

“Princess Rui is not at all squeamish,” Midwife Liu praised. “In the past there were daughter-in-laws who throw their temper. Those wives from wealthy families are especially picky. They would refuse to eat and yet complain of being uncomfortable and the lacking strength during the childbirth, just causing trouble for themselves. Princess Rui is very sensible; the child will be delivered very smoothly.”

The midwives saw Shen Miao’s gentle and calm demeanour and not all bothered by her origins as a Ming person. They chatted and fawned over her.

Shen Miao knew they were trying to distract her so as to pass the time. The true ordeal had yet to start.

Outside, Aunt Tao and the rest were waiting.

“My heart is beating so fast. I don’t know if cousin will give birth to a boy or a girl, after so long, I can finally get an answer.”

“No matter if it’s a princess or princess, his majesty Xie would be happy when he returns,” Aunt Tao laughed. “Just that don’t know how long we have to wait.”

Eunuch Deng was also a little nervous. “This is the royal family’s first little descendant, the Empress and the Emperor and the Empress Dowager in the heavens must also be very happy.”

Needless to say, the people around Shen Miao were joyous as well.

Even Mo Qing who was usually stoic and solemn had the flush of excitement. The other guard was chatty as well: “I made a wager with Iron Coat, I bet that it would be a little princess. I staked everything on this, if I lose, I might not get a daughter-in-law.” (losing a daughter’s dowry).

The maid Jing Zhe happened to hear this said scornfully: “I think it will be a little prince.”

“Why a little prince?” the guard asked. “I think it’s a little princess.”

“I said it’s a little prince, so it’s a little prince!” Jing Zhe insisted.

“Knock it off,” Gu Yu hit the table. She turned to Butler Tang, “Uncle Tang, any troubles?”

Uncle Tang was at a corner reading the sutra and reciting: “Beseeching the ancestors, bless and protect the princess and child, the mother and daughter and the entire family…”

The day had passed into the evening when Shen Miao finally began to give birth.

The midwives called the maids for clear water, towels, clean scissors and other useful items. Luo Tan wanted to enter but was persuaded not to by Aunt Tao. Instead, Aunt Tao and a few of the palace ladies as well as Jing Zhe and Gu Yu went in to watch the procedure.

Shen Miao was lying on the bed.

She did her utmost to endure the severe pain, hour after hour. It was the most pain she had experienced since her rebirth, as if someone was using a pair of scissors messing up the insides of her belly.

“Princess, push with your strength!” Midwife Li said. “I can see the child’s shape!”

Outside, Pei Lang and the rest were restless.

From time to time, the palace ladies were carrying out silver basins filled with shocking amounts of blood. Luo Tan anxiously grabbed one of the older mama beside her and asked, “What is happening, why is there so much blood?”

The mama comforted her: “This is nothing, women have to bleed when giving birth, don’t be afraid.”

Pei Lang’s heart was shaking violently.

In the past life, Fu Xiuyi did not care about the births of Fu Ming and Wan Yu. In the past he was just passing by and Fu Xiuyi allowed him to take a look.

In some ways, it was Pei Lang who had accompanied Shen Miao when she gave birth. Who’d knew that in this life when Xie was not at her side, it was Pei Lang once again who was with her.

This was considered fortunate, at least at this moment she was not alone. At least he was also with her this time.

Every second felt like an eternity. It was unknown how much time had passed but suddenly a woman inside exclaimed excitedly: “He’s out, it’s a little prince! Oh, there is another!”

“Twins! There are twins! The princess is blessed!”

Soon there was the loud crying of babies.

Everyone was full of joy and Luo Tan almost fainted from happiness! But before their roars died down, they could hear Midwife Li’s shouts: “Princess, please hold on, don’t sleep! Don’t sleep!”

Pei Lang’s heart tightened but before he could react, Aunt Tao’s shaky voice filtered through: “Princess, persevere!”

Luo Tan could not bear it any longer and charged into the room. Pei Lang hesitated, but Aunt Tao called for him. “Sir Pei Lang! Come in!”

Pei Lang rushed inside. Shen Miao was covered by a blanket, her face pale as she said to Midwives Liu and Li: “As long as the children are good, it is fine.”

“Princess...” the two midwives did not speak on.

“What is going on?” Luo Tan asked while crying. “What happened to cousin, why do you say such things?”

“The princess’s body was already weak, furthermore she gave birth to twins. She was already fatigued and her condition wasn’t stable. Now her body is exhausted and lost too much blood…” Midwife Liu said, unable to continue.

“My body is unwell, not suitable for childbirth. I… I am afraid I can’t go on. Cousin, when you see my father, mother and brother, tell them I am unfilial for not being able to serve them in their old age.”

Luo Tan shook her head frantically. “Cousin, I cannot say such words. Don’t speak any more such unfilial words, you will be fine and will see aunt and uncle yourself! Don’t say any more, don’t say any more!”

She was crying towards the end of her rant.

Shen Miao smiled helplessly, and then looked at Pei Lang. Though his lips were trembling slightly, he was outwardly calm.

“No, you can go on. I have yet to pay my debts to you, you must have a long and healthy life,” he said, forcing himself to believe in his words.

“Sir Pei Lang does not owe me anything. If you want to pay me back, then promise to protect my children and let them grow up well.”

She took a deep breath, as if her strength had all been exhausted. “When you see Xie, tell him, I am sorry, I can’t wait any more. Thank him for always protecting me willingly, for tolerating me and for us to be husband and wife. I… I am very happy…”

“Princess!” Aunt Tao shouted.

“Let me see the children…” she said.

The midwives had cleaned the babies and swaddled them and placed them by her side.

Aunt Tao said tearfully, “Two little princes, they are very healthy.”

Shen Miao’s eyes fell on her two children. She struggled to stretch her fingers over their eyebrows. She whispered: “When these two grow up, they will be very handsome. Whether they look like their father or their mother… me and Xie had suffered a lot of bitterness, if the heavens are kind, they surely would not bear to let these two suffer.”

Aunt Tao and Luo Tan were wiping their tears.

“I really want to watch you two grow up…” she said, looking at the two children with deep love. On their faces, she could almost see the people that were thousands of miles away.

“I really miss you…”

Her voice faded away.

On a battlefield a thousand miles away, the young master suddenly felt a sharp pain radiating from his heart to all corners of his body that caused him to stagger. He held on to the table and gasped.

Gao Yang was just walking in and was shocked to see the scene. He quickly took his pulse to check. “There is no problem, what happened?”

Xie’s brow wrinkled. “Tomorrow we will attack Xunyang,” he said suddenly.

Gao Yang was shocked. “Why the sudden decision?”

“Quick decision, fast resolution.”

Xie turned to go outside.

Daliang attacked and occupied Daqin’s capital Xunyang. With this, the three kingdoms were finally united into one by the young Rui Wang after more than a hundred years of separation. The heroes ended their grand journey and Daliang was triumphant.

The loser became a bandit, the winner became the king; in the end the defeated were annihilated. The world now only had the Daliang Emperor, there will be no more Emperor of Ming nor Emperor of Daqin.

History only remembers the winners. Though the people of the defeated kingdoms may lament their fate, if their previous rulers were tyrannical and the new sovereign was kind and generous, then the people will naturally side with the new.

The Daliang soldiers were returning, bringing back glory home. Those who were still alive had a bright future to look forward to, those who had died were proudly honoured.

The people of the Daliang capital could not wait to celebrate their return.

But even as the people were preparing to celebrate, the palace was cold and gloomy.

Luo Tan was sitting in the yard as the rare autumn sun shone warmly. The maids Jing Zhe and Gu Yu were drying out the books, laying them out in the floor.

Luo Tan squatted wistfully. “In Spring City, she used to sun these books. I had thought that books will spoil inevitably and it was pointless. Didn’t expect that I would do this errand for her now.”

The man dressed in green beside her remained quiet.

Pei Lang seemed to have aged overnight. Without Shen Miao, he could not even read the court petitions and memorials and thus only read books and did little else. Such waste of time was bitter to him.

There was no happiness in the palace.

Aunt Tao took the two children out. Luo Tan quickly stood to hold one of them.

“The two young princes are very healthy,” Aunt Tao said. “The wet nurse said they are very well behaved and quiet at night.”

Finally, there was a smile on Luo Tan’s face. “Such behaviour, they surely gotten it from their mother.”

Her voice stopped.

Pei Lang saw the two children and light returned to his eyes.

“Which is the elder, which is the younger, I really can’t tell,” Luo Tan rubbed the baby’s head. “They look exactly the same now, what more in the future?”

Aunt Tao laughed. “Of course, they can be dressed up different. And surely they will grow up with different temperaments, and then it would be easy to tell them apart.”

“But what to call them?” Luo Tan was troubled. “Which is the elder, which is the younger. Cousin didn’t even give them names yet…”

She immediately chastised herself and could not help but to smile in annoyance. “I never want to speak about it and yet can’t help talk about it.”

Aunt Tao saw her look and wanted to comfort her, but then Gu Yu and Jing Zhe rushed inside. “The prince has returned!”

“What?” both Luo Tan and Pei Lang were surprised. According to news of the Daliang army, there should be more than a month left before its return.

“The prince rode home by himself on horseback,” Gu Yu whispered. “But the princess…”

After a moment, Pei Lang spoke: “Let’s go take a look.”

Xie strode quickly into the palace. Much had changed in one year. Both Yongle and Xiande had passed away, and the palace seemed to have become much colder.

Eunuch Deng smiled. “Your majesty, go see your two sons. Aunt Tao and Lady Luo Tan are playing with them.”

Xie’s brows furrowed. “Where’s Shen Miao?”

He had barely said it when Luo Tan and Aunt Tao came over with the children in their arms. Pei Lang was following behind them.

The babies awoke just then, excitedly waving their small hands under the warm sun very cutely.

Xie’s halted in his steps.

“Where’s Shen Miao?” he slowly asked.

Pei Lang stepped forward. “Go and see her,” he said quietly.

The white-bearded Gao Zhan shook his head. “I have tried my best to preserve her life. Her body is exhausted, but she had a strong will to live, perhaps she felt she had an unfulfilled wish and refused to give up her last breath. I have used a golden needle to seal this last breath to save her life, but that is all that I could have done.”

“Grandfather, what do you mean?” Gao Yang asked. For so many years he had been exiled from the Gao family and went on his own path and never contacted them since. A single word ‘grandfather’ caused Gao Zhan to tremble slightly.

“I mean, she may continue to sleep forever. Though she is breathing and has a pulse, she would never awaken and would never open her eyes. Even if she wakes up…” he looked at Gao Yang. It would be like Ye Hongguang’s case. What she would be like after waking up, nobody knows.”

In other words, Shen Miao might end up mentally crippled like Ye Hongguang. But more likely, she would continue to sleep year after year, never to open her eyes to see Xie.

“Isn’t that just…” Ji Yushu swallowed the words ‘living death’. Though he did not say it, everyone understood Gao Zhan’s obvious meaning.

Gao Zhan asked Xie: “This being the case; would your highness still wait?”

“As long as it takes,” Xie said. “She kept her promise and waited for my return. What is me waiting for her for a lifetime? Her life is mine, without my permission; not even the King of Hell can take it.”

As he spoke, his face was cold and reminiscent of the Yongle Emperor. Yet it still had his own streak of arrogance, as if nothing was worth anything in his eyes.

All were silent.

Shen Miao’s eyes remain closed and she was deaf to these words. Seeing her sleeping so well, Luo Tan said, “Let’s go out; let her rest for a few days. She hadn’t had a good rest for so many years.”

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  16. karairo

karairo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My crying just won't stop.
    @rdawv thank you so much for your hard work.

17. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much. Such sad chapter. I'm crying like big baby.

18. Raizel_Kertia

Raizel_Kertia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I cried so much damn

19. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    yea....
    Shen Miao is ded......

...and live at same time at another timeline.
    in dream line.

20. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's so beautiful that XJX and SM cared for each other and that even in the past life only SM was able to enter XJX's heart ;w;

I want my own XJX ah