Feature Request Rec list title search + genre

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by juic3, Mar 5, 2021.

1. juic3

juic3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, not sure if this has been requested before but can we get the ability to search for titles of rec lists? And add genres when making them because so far it’s just tags.

2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    While I understand why title search might seem like a good option... If you consider that you can use any names you want, it'll bring you less potential matches than the current options do.

You can't genre search, because you're not searching for novels, but lists. The tags need to be manually added by the list creator to even be searchable. There's a lot of lists without tags.
    Adding genres now would probably only cause more mayhem. Do you think people would update their lists?

3. juic3

juic3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would the title search necessarily have to replace the current features? I do like the tags/novels included way of searching but sometimes it's just too specific when I'm looking for lists centered around certain genres (like comedy + romance). And I do see a lot titling their lists with keywords like genres so I don't think the search results would be few? And though many probably won't update their lists, I thought adding genres would be useful when making new ones. I'm not really sure how updating features works and it might be more effort than it's worth :hmm:.

4. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say that. I just meant that rec list names are as random as reading lists names, so I think the current features bring better results.
    Seeing how many lists don't have tags added, I'm willing to bet the genres won't do much better, especially since a lot of list has already been made and people would have to update them. While updating is not a problem per se, I don't think many people will do it.
    I think you're better off using Series Finder instead.
    Once you find some more popular series with genres you like, their novel pages will have "novel recommendations" with the counter of how many people agreed with the rec + reclists containing the series <= these should potentially have more "similar" series, bringing you the results you want.

Calahan likes this.