Discussion Recent censorship

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Braxx, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Want to discuss any new cershorships happening to novels.
    What are the latest novels hit by china's censorship ?

Recently I have been reading Summoning the Holy Sword and 108 Maidens of Destiny. Both novels have NOT been hit by censorship. I had to drop Meng Huang Bao since it has been hit cencorship, I found about it when I compared translations on different sites and there are missing sentences'.

I have also started looking more for original novels to avoid these censhorship issues. So im rading Profane Prince of Domination and Spirit Cultivation. I can feel safe , since both these novels will never be censored. So im slowly trying to turn away from Chinese novels, but Im too used to them and like them very much, so its difficult.

I also found out that some translators are creating "apps" to avoid china's censorship. It seems china only cares about whats on the web and doesnt care about apps for now. If they want to censor novels on apps, they will have to update their laws and regulations , thats what I heard at least.
    But this method is a little .... strange ? Like this we will have 2 different translations from the same translators, one on their site will be censored so they dont get DMCA or something, and then a uncensored version on their app.
    Personally I dont like this new method , since I dont want to download anything xd. Why cant there be just a site where they dont censor the novels ?

As far as I know, fully translated novels dont have to fear censorship. For example Womanizing Mage is fully translated , so even if china hits the RAWs with censorship, the novel is already translated the uncensored version, so the translators wont go back and delete the chapters and then post cencored chapters. At least I hope this is how it works.

The real problem are the novels that are currently being translated. I have read that some big translators will go back and censor old chapters if their novel(the novel they are currently translating) gets hit with censorship.
    I was looking forward to read Nine Star Hegemon Battle Arts. But I heard it got hit with cenroship ...
    This devastated me a lot, was rly looking forward to reading this novel....

Have any novels you were looking forward to read, get hit by censorship ?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese censorship works in mysterious ways. :blobhyperthink:

whitespade likes this.
  3. Indelible Faith

Indelible Faith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omg the censorship is in effect already? btw, exactly how did you find out which novels are being hit by censorship? or is it only the ones you're reading that you know about?

4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend insanity was hit with it but just that the whole novel needed to be censored so they having a dilemma.

Guess they have to do it CIA style
    [​IMG]

Well atleast we'll get to see the chapter numbers rolling.

whitespade, Imperiestro and Arie Sun like this.
  5. Arie Sun

Arie Sun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not related but what is that? Is that real?

6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    THAT IS NOT A CIA REDACTED FILE
    it is a California District Court redacted testimony.
    they use different fonts

7. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you're just comparing between a wanton translator that "adds sentences for flavor because there isn't enough context/story/flair", a aggegator site that picks up the first version and never updates and the actual "what is written by the author" translation?

Also a dead giveaway...
    "United States District Court"
    "For the Northern District of California"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2020
    sekach likes this.
  8. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    That pic is something I got from Google, it's not a disclosed CIA file. It was an example.

Hmph if I had my hands on CIA files, I would settle down in life in some villa in Russia.

Westeller and Arie Sun like this.
  9. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the translators I read from say they try to get the uncensored versions if possible. There have been some fiascos where the novel was censored in the middle and the translator had to beg the readers if anyone could provide uncensored chapters. Usually someone has them thank goodness. I feel like almost everyone I run into is trying to reproduce the work as closely as possible to the way the author originally intended without external interference. Maybe I’m reading from different sights. Maybe some of the larger pay by chapter sights care less about this?
    I fear admitting this but I also store chapters from the books I want to read offline. I never post or modify them. I just copy and store them because there have been to may times where I wanted to read something but then it disappeared. Sure, I could probably still find it as a snatched version on some advertisement ridden copycat sight, but I don’t like reading from those. So I just pick up the things I like to read and hide them away somewhere so if something happens I can still read what I wanted to read.

whitespade likes this.
  10. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of CN novel that I ever read, even there is no racial sensitivity stuff at the beginning
    If it run long enough, there at least one arc or involved a group of people that involved with this

11. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Zeusomega likes this.
  12. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do they censor in these novels? The sex scenes? 'cause if it's just that, it's kind of annoying, but I don't really care. Sure, I might enjoy reading all the details, but it's not that important to the story (unless the story is based around the act, then you would be censoring the whole novel and I'm against that.) It's probably because I got used to seeing white rays, black screens, fog in the middle of a sunny day, etc in anime.
    Over all censoring is just someone in power being a huge asshole. It does makes sense if it's to keep yourself in power, but it's still shitty.

13. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Indelible Faith

Indelible Faith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite true! Censoring someone's art just because you have the power to do so is a dick move. Also, what I fear is that it's not all sex scenes, but those present between lgbt couples in fics that might get redacted - which is a whole other level of a dickish move - also, what's to stop that from going another level and making such stories inaccessible? (God i hope that doesnt happen) but yeah, this whole censorship business is just sad - the story is on a niche site that you have to click on and willingly browse through to read, it's not like anyone's flashing sex scenes to the general public, what's to censor? When you're reading stories by online authors that too. Ugh this whole thing is a pain

whitespade likes this.
  15. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While sex scenes do get censored, and whole chapters will occasionally be deleted/locked, there's a lot of minor annoyances too, since a lot of these censorship tools are bot-driven. So while readers might not notice as much, a translator might be trying to translate a chapter and find that several of the words have been censored □□, and the translator will simply have to guess what the word was. (More often than not, the word isn't even anything bad, it's just been caught by a bad bot. It's like if someone censored the "ass" in classroom.)

whitespade and Senros like this.
  16. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, didn't think someone would be such a genius that they would censor words in a novel with bots. You could probably argue censoring sex scenes and scenes that are too gory, but words like ass, fuck, shit, etc... "advertisement friendly" is goddamn retarded. Does it matter for a company if someone curses in the page or video that has one of their ads? As long as the person cursing has a lot of followers, they shouldn't care that much.

Now that I think about it, isn't it a lot of unnecessary work censoring words, sex scenes, etc in novels online? If someone manually does the censoring, it would take ages and be expensive. If they make a bot, there will be many times in which the bot fucks up the content. Why not just leave it?

Braxx likes this.
  17. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow there! Did you just dare to write "semen"?

whitespade, Braxx and Senros like this.
  18. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China censor novels and a regular basis. The way I find how a novel is censored is simple.:
    1. Compare translations on different sites, there is a good chance that on one site key words or whole paragraphs are missing.
    2. Reviews. When censorship hits a novel, usually there are a few reviews point it out how the novel is bastardized by censorship.
    3. Forums and comment sections. Forums like this one for example. Comment section is where readers sometimes blame the translator for the censorship.

Indelible Faith likes this.
  19. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not just the sex scenes. Heavy Violence(torture for example), rituals where many are sacrificed, prostitution, rape, heavy usage of drugs, depiction of bloody scenes(like a monster eating someone and is described in detail for example) etc ...
    Most translators try to get away with it by censoring certain words like s*x, f*ck etc ... while totaly avoiding words like pussy, dick, tits, ass. For example pussy becomes her garden, ass becomes butt or rear etc...
    Yes, sex scenes are the thing that get censored the most, but dont let that blind you. You give them an inch , they want the whole world next.

Indelible Faith likes this.
  20. NaverGirl

NaverGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whaaaaat, Am I too late for this but I am really shocked. I took a long break from reading danmei’s and Chinese Censorship entered the novels. I am still fuming from what they did from all of the bl movies and series I watched, now the novels???! Effing hell! Can you please enlighten me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.