Recommend me a laptop?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am wondering if it is released as legion 5 at my place, because ryzen 7 5800h and rtx 3060 is only available at legion 5, not 7.

AMD x nvidia is bad compared to intel x nvidia? I should do my research more, since my research suggests that AMD cpu is slightly better than intel cpu.

xiazixin likes this.
  2. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AMD is better for paralelization, where Intel is better at single process. Because ML generation training is better with more processing power per cores, Intel is the best choice. Thats why intel x nvidia is better than amd x nvidia.

edit: if i am not wrong, many older ML script can only be used with intel cpu. you might need to do some research about this.

Shiki and xiazixin like this.
  3. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AMD CPU are bad with Randoms. Though they are fixed, I think if you update everything to latest version, I think it will work even with older scrips. Though I didn't have a AMD system with me right now.

Intels are better for Adobe premier pro. About 30% faster especially in laptop due to iris graphics, though they are close in desktop. If OP do anything video should get a intel CPU.
    upload_2021-8-21_19-8-20.png
    (image: premiere pro, highest the better. Without IGPU intel run 526 and AMD 439)

But as I said before power limits matters. If CPU get anything bellow 60W from the motherboard, AMD generally wins even in single core. Intel gets a sight edge if motherboard provide more than 70W of power. (provided the both cpu treated the same voltage and cooling) (11800H can take about 90W of power, 5800H 85W)
    Most laptops only provides about when GPU and CPU working together CPU only get 45W to 50W powers, unless some really well implemented laptop, (Amazing VRMs, MOSFETs, Cooling, and board designs) your unlikely to run at 90W. (HP OMEN 15 only 30w of power. It just sucks)

Generally Intel is faster when GPU is not working unless in some amazing laptop systems, Or some Sophisticated AI engines that measure your loads on each components and make adjustments.

Lets talk about well implemented laptop like legion 7i (intel), legion 7i provides 88W (measured by software) of power when CPU is on load and GPU is on not so much load.
    When GPU is on Dynamic boost +15W load, CPU power drop to 50W.

For Legion 7 (AMD) provides 85W (measured by software) of power when CPU is on load and GPU is on not so much load.
    When GPU is on Dynamic boost +15W load CPU power drop to 45W.

Over all intel 11800H is a bit faster with intel "7" 10nm process nodes compared to 5800H in Legion 7 with more power draw.

upload_2021-8-21_19-31-44.png

AS for @Molen said, intel is better. maybe that's true. Intel have bigger L2 and L3 cache. And with 10nm superfin it's not that bad as compared to the desktop.

Legion 5 pro is thicker, and bulker, but 200 USD cheaper, the laptop is still amazing, but definitely don't have the amazing build quality like legion 7. Make sure you don't pay extra for Laptops.
    upload_2021-8-21_20-6-1.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Shiki and Molen like this.