Spoiler Record of the Missing Sect Master

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Attica, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently finished this Wuxia BL novel--well, to be more accurate, I couldn't stop reading it for 2 days straight. I first saw it on Winter-T's rec list and then enjoyed it a ton, so I'm really happy to see that Spearpoint took up the translations for it!

教主走失记 by 一世华裳
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/record-of-the-missing-sect-master/

Overall, the premise of the story is that MC was badly wronged by hypocritical greedy high-ranking righteous path masters. So over the course of an entire decade, he set up a masterfully complex revenge plot to expose his enemies and exact justice.

The other thing about this story is that it's really freaking funny!! There are so many hilariously quirky characters, as well as perfectly timed comedic awkward moments.

---------------------

Mostly Spoiler-Free Summary (I'll give one with spoilers soon):

MC is the master of the most prominent demonic sect (he literally straight-up named the sect "Demonic Sect" hahahahahaha), when he loses his memory and is badly burned. His rescuer discovers he has some connection to the rescuer's friend, so the friend comes by to pick him up.

This friend is ML, a really talented and high-ranking righteous path master. ML claims to be the older disciple-brother to MC. He says MC went missing 10 years ago after their shifu died, so ML appears to be really happy they were reunited. (MC is really smart so he is of course suspicious, but decides to go along with it).

ML takes him to see the best doctor in the Jianghu to cure his memory loss and burns. But when they arrive at the city with the doctor, they find themselves drawn into a complex conspiracy involving deadly poisons, treasure maps to secret forbidden techniques, brainwashing drugs, old tragedies, and long-dead villains coming back to life.
    ...And along the way, MC and ML rekindle the embers of an old relationship <3
    ---------------------

MC has many names due to spoiler reasons: his commonly accepted name is Ye You, while ML calls him "A-Xiao". He has a genius intellect, with a personality that's 20% innocent, 80% ruthless, and 100% shameless lol. He's an expert at leaving people speechless <3 Oh, and his face is also apparently "Helen of Troy"-level beautiful, described as capable of sowing disasters in and of itself LOL

ML is named Wenren Heng, and is also extremely smart and badass. To strangers, he's "polite and warm on the outside, distant and bitter on the inside"--it's only to MC that he is genuinely affectionate and caring.
    -----------------------------

The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the story is MC trying to find out the truth behind the conspiracy, while also trying to regain his memories to find what role he had planned for himself in this conspiracy.

The second half is MC with his memories back, playing this game to its finale and exposing the villains behind all the tragedies in the past.

And I might as well put the BL poke list here, credit to @alexfilia:

@scriptor @winter-t @LaDyViL @Sakhyu @cici @SnowTime @MoMoePom @SummerX
    @kiara8 @readerz @krrizis @Kittsune @Shem @Toyo @Hotato @Novel otaku desu @Matsurika @kly @sinyueliang @ludagad @Luen @DarkBlue @Yuslia @clear @dustmite @smr85 @lalalyly @iampsyx @HesheFell @Kailyria20 @Shizun @Misaki Yata @Haigi @XD @xiin @PKitty @insteadofdeath @Victuuri @ShenHua @Corensi @vsukio @-kiai- @Kleep @ChuChi @Cohran @azure_sea @mereumsama @Hatchy @jadelin @Neelambori @Ami @Shizuka15 @NerdExpress @Popipopipoi @kumquatsjingleheimer @Nokiyoh @K-ralara @MikotoP @purple_mangosteen @Taida07 @Matthew9999 @Hasr11 @Rilise

@missycin @Skyelyne @blaze27 @dontwanttotell @Miri-Bell @Ezralva @DJdragone @leva @CrazedCookies @Leir @Selax @Regalia1896 @Shiina @Shizuka Mikki @Nokita @maya_sov @Land of The Fallen @leedalys @pcheshire @Loriel @byebye @Vi.M @Raneday @LavenderBlizzard @psychobee @theragingpanda @Ease @LiYao @SmilePlease @li.king24 4 @Zhen_Qing

@ferrelrose @cheerydandan @Raizendeville @aNonYm0U5 @Rabbitanairy @foxymirage @LiYao @Boinkers @Khysylia @UpInTheAir @Food food @Ashie @Lisstr @blues86 @rainbowturtle @GD2318 @ahsudole @imsodone @Wildelily @Dayong9909 @Haruka1409 @WagKalimutan @GinDole @Tintl @veihakase @DeanRae @haweii @Sasakira @etern @MidnightKaito @michoux @jyuuxvii @xilainia @Fieyy-Qa @JadeBunny @Levanta @Storymonster @Ash Astin @solomaize @Ninjagal @EveningWind @Silver_Moon789 @Yukki576 @Juria @Lunnear @KazeYuki @waraa @misminor @Shigure Hakuya @LoneSoul @Grandia @YukiShiiro @ThePinkHotPot @curryninja @lifeisbittersweet @Shionismad @KuroBaraHime @shouahang58 @XiaoPingGuo @bitterblackrabbit @Ryss @Moocakey @324722 @AaronKing @Cian-Chan

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. WagKalimutan

WagKalimutan Mpreg Lover, Married To Yaoi

Reading List:
    Link
    So what happened between MC and ML when MC memory came back???

Cherrypopper likes this.
  3. Zhen_Qing

Zhen_Qing <<Danmei Sect Temp. Summoner>>

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds seriously interesting, especially the MC having a personality of 100% shameless part~ I've come to love shameless MC after reading GDC. :sushi_singing:

You mentioned rekindling embers of "old relationship," does that mean that they used to be lovers before doing a star-crossed lovers thing with one being the head of demonic sect and the other being a famous righteous cultivator? :cookie:

4. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been trying to create a spoiler-containing summary of this novel, but it's so packed with plot twists that I feel kind of bad ruining the mystery lol.

Here's a rough timeline of some relevant events, with some spoilers:

20 years before the present day--MC was just a child when his family was slaughtered for the secret martial arts technique they held. MC had to watch his parents' bodies being mutilated and dismembered, and he didn't even have the chance to bury his family. His parents told him to seek shelter with a wise master, so baby MC crossed rivers and mountains to find that wise master. The wise master accepted him, and MC and ML became disciple-brothers under a warm and loving Shifu. I'm pretty sure MC and ML had mutual crushes on each other as teenagers.

10 years before the present day--when righteous sect people were pursuing a cultivator who had gone mad, the insane cultivator started going on a rampage. MC and ML's Shifu pushed MC out of the way and then died to stop the insane cultivator. The teenage MC was traumatized yet again, especially because during the incident, one of the victims of the insane cultivator gave MC a message telling him the true culprits. After this incident, MC made revenge his life's mission.

MC first pretended to have gone stupid from shock for 1 month while plotting revenge, during which ML took care of him. Then he got ML drunk and slept with him. The morning after, he pretended to have sobered up and called ML "Disgusting". Using that as an excuse to leave ML out of this revenge business, he departed ML and the Central Plains to start a demonic sect in a remote area.

During the 10 years between that incident and the present, it's mentioned that of course ML did run into MC a few times. MC always acted distant and unfriendly towards him. Because of the whole righteous-demonic sect divide thing, they fought a few times (not going all-out of course).

Then when the story starts, MC engineers his own amnesia precisely to get ML to take care of him, help him carry out the execution of his revenge, and rekindle their previous bond. ML is probably the only person in the world MC truly trusts.

After MC's memory returns, he starts to pursue revenge directly while still pretending to be amnesiac and innocent. ML effectively catches him in the act of carrying out vengeance. MC first tries to deny it, but ML keeps pushing, declaring something like "If you wish to make me a bystander to your vengeance, I'm okay with that. But our fates are intertwined: if you succeed, I will celebrate for you. If you fail, I will die with you." MC finally opens up to ML and lets him in on the revenge plan.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Needmore, komo komo, Emma401 and 20 others like this.
  5. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mr Translator here, arriving to say hello because I'm coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine~

Okay, admittedly, I am running into this semi-blind/finding out stuff as I go basis, having eaten only the MTL. (lmao)

-Spoilers incoming, everything under here is spoilers but you’re in the thread?-

And I didn’t really pause to try to read the raw except when Ye You went into Demonic Sect Master persona mode and I read the words because I though he was being sexy as hell calling himself Benzuo(本座) and killing a dude (multiple dudes?).

Benzuo(本座) = “this seat” is a self-referential pronoun used by those in a position of high power (usually deities), think throne or leader’s chair, it’s pretty domineering & prideful…I pretty much fanboy’d every time he said it because it’s so arrogant (and hot).

Sadly, I am so early in the translation but I want to be at the middle of the novel when WRH and YY sleep together, in the yaoi sense. The scene itself in the novel is fade to black :/ but I’m totally going to write detailed fic, like pages of it, and I’m having headcanons right now even though I probably can’t write stuff until a year because I don’t know how to form things to fit into canon yet. But I still posted a headcanon at the end of my last chapter part update, which was YY being the type of person whose mental capabilities goes down after orgasm because the pleasure is that destructive and he needs time to reboot but before then he’s just *Rihanna voice* What’s my name?

So one of the things I’m trying to work out a headcanon for, like why did it happen (maybe it was explained in the text but I missed it in MTL) but at some point late in the story, Ye You starts telling his Demonic Sect members to refer to Wenren Heng as (夫人 furen) which means madam, Ye You’s wife basically.

Tentative title of the “missing scene” fic I want to write to explain this

金屋藏嬌
    jīn wū cáng jiāo
    a golden house to keep one's mistress (idiom); a magnificent house built for a beloved woman

Or

Mistress to Madam

In my headcanon this happens because Wenren Heng confronts Ye You with the metaphorical thought, oh my god? I’m a mistress, your mistress. And it’s not a good feeling, being a mistress, especially when he’s the leader of his own righteous sect and a man. And Ye You’s smart so he can figure it out but Wenren Heng expands the metaphor anyway.

A Prime Minster returns from the power struggles of the imperial court(a metaphor for Ye You’s revenge business - the General is clashing with the Minister of Rites, the Crown Prince’s people are fighting 7th Prince’s people) and he doesn’t even go to his own household with the main wife and concubines and their inner courtyard struggles but goes to his mistress, who is apart from all that, for stress relief, for respite from his real life. Someone that is played with but isn't really involved. She'd be at risk.

Ye You is like, I don’t have a main wife, or any concubines, and to be my mistress we’d have to be a certain sort of physical relationship, which we’re not in (at that moment)

A mistress isn’t part of the household officially, and as a result can avoid the dangers. If the emperor calls for a nine familial exterminations, she is safe by virtue of being secret and hidden, in another residence, not publicly known as the Prime Minister's person, but the main wife and concubines cannot escape.

I’m not even sure this make sense without half a dozen of footnotes or if what I wrote is even understandable at the moment. First I have to translate deep enough into canon so that this doesn’t contradict stuff and I need to make sure the time-line is right. But anyway the point of the fic is something about trust, and letting people in and really sharing your life, all the things, good and bad instead of keeping some arbitrary distance that is supposedly protective and keeping burdens away from the other person, but actually just feels really awful (like being a secret mistress).

Wenren Heng meant stuff as a metaphor, but after that talk Ye You tells his sect members, okay you have to call him the madam, he’s official and legitimate, the one and only wife. And can Wenren Heng complain about that? Now he’s not a mistress!

Anyway, I wrote this instead of translating. :)

6. Zhen_Qing

Zhen_Qing <<Danmei Sect Temp. Summoner>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, thanks for your hardwork in translating this novel.
    I think some readers appreciate headcanons, but not sure whether the readers welcome fanon additions to the original written work. :blobsweat_2:

Cherrypopper and CawCawBird like this.
  7. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll have to label carefully so people know they are codas. ...I don't know if people still use/understand the fannish term "coda"

Cherrypopper and Zhen_Qing like this.
  8. morticia_addams

morticia_addams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cherrypopper likes this.
  9. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So is YY the bottome?

MXTXFAN and Cherrypopper like this.
  10. aiji

aiji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone! After lurking for a while, I decided to create my very first post here in the forum related to "Record of the Missing Sect Master" novel I'm currently reading.

To be honest, I didn't read the full review (the only review at the moment) of Attica. I stopped reading after the first four lines, afraid of obtaining too much info, and would like to find everything out all by myself as I read, as I'm genuinely afraid of any spoiler (yep, I intentionally didn't read the above posts as well). I'm currently at chapter 20 and came across a very disturbing lines which made me worried and pushed me to stop reading for a while. This novel is very interesting, and I would like to read further but this question must be answered first:

Will the MC die?

I don't like spending time with novels with no happy ending, so I'd be really grateful if someone can answer me.
    Thanks!

Cherrypopper likes this.
  11. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, this story is 100% a happy ending.

Needmore, Cherrypopper and Shizun like this.
  12. aiji

aiji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much for the reponse!
    I'm currently at chapter 26. It's so interesting and intriguing that I couldn't help but continue XD
    It reminds me of Founder of Diabolism.

Thanks again ^^

Cherrypopper likes this.
  13. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the 1st chapter, feels intrigue then and @Attica spoilers, hmm so much trickss LOL
    I will keep this to my MTL list.

From 1st chapter, the MC is not the most powerful in his sect. How did he manage to build a sect? And why all the elders/disciples nominated him to be the sect master?

Cherrypopper likes this.
  15. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, it’s been a long time since I read this, but from what I can remember... you get a glimpse of the sect elders’ personalities in Chapter 1. Do any of them look like competent leaders to you? :p

Of everyone in the sect, MC gets all the actual business done and actually has a plan/future to guide the sect towards. He recruited all these crazy oddballs who had been rejected by society, and gave them a family and home where they belonged. Meanwhile the elders are having fun gardening and catching butterflies and playing pranks on each other..... yeah.

Also, even though the rest of the sect is very protective of him like he’s their newborn child... you can probably guess that MC is actually ridiculously OP.

16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Attica LOL so MC is actually the most reliable in his sect XD

Ray Levantret and Cherrypopper like this.
  17. Ginonymous

Ginonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just now heard of this web novel and this bolder part has me laughing and placing this on my reading list

Cherrypopper likes this.
  18. Sa76

Sa76 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    do you know/ remember the smut scenes and if it's explicitly written or just pushed to the background like most chinese bl nowadays? the story is definitely very interesting and the fanart looks beautiful. Thanks for the recommendation.

Needmore and Cherrypopper like this.
  19. KeyLyme

KeyLyme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Late as hell but if anyone else is wondering they are all fade to black

Needmore and Zhen_Qing like this.
  20. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can some spoil ehat happens to the wei sibling and their dad. And whoo was the true enemy