Discussion reforming sex tags

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DocB, Apr 19, 2019.

?

should this new system be implemented?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2019.
  1. Yes

24.6%
  2. No

68.4%
  3. Only Vanilla

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    yah cause foot fetishist can only cum on foots (oh wait that tag isn't on NU)
    cause arm pit fetishist can only cum (not this one too)
    cause people into auto erotic suffucation (does not apply)
    do i need to keep going?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrugs* If someone were to try adding those tags to novels that they apply, I don't think the mods would be against it.

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You see a novel which has an erotic setting, and there is no tag to describe the sexual setting used... Make a tag. The basic argument from the tag council is that you can use tags to find some specific sort of novel, or exclude some specific elements while you are looking for a novel. While I initially liked the basic 3 tag system proposed, I realised that not only does it involve a lot of ironing out, it also doesn't have as many plus points as the current system.

For the point about tags describing something that only happens in c888 or something... That is misuse of the tag. If you see this, remove the tag. These tags are intended to be used for ero novels specifically. We didn't put the clause in the definition so that the definition will have a more permanent impact.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite
    Only 4 novels with this tag. I bet one or two of them have NTR! It has to!

5. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    but even ero novel suffer from this point, most start very vanillaand then in order to not repeat they either start ommiting (even they don't are fuuly based in ero) or go more extreme
    example Road to kingdom, starts quite vanilla with vampire fellatio and 350 chapter llater you get trap fucking and whips and dick stucks in all manner of holes

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, that is a specific case... There aren't too many ero novels out there which are that long. And for novels as long as that, there is no real workaround. The tags are present to be used to reach the majority of the novels.

For the minority few, tags aren't really enough. Like...that is just a complete 180 of the themes. We can only include both types of tags, and hope that the users will exclude what they don't want. Then these types of 180 change novels won't come up.

If the user is still ok with some tags, they won't put them on exclude. From there, you only got to look at the reviews or something.

7. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    that is why i believe my system works better, novels are a long term investment unlike hentai video (that must of this tag are based on) a simple level of warning should be sufficient to most people, you aren't into looking into the abyss read only vanilla, you want to that a peek and see you are lucky and enjoy it, try fetish, you want to dive into the abyss and get tentacle raped go C.U.M.

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I am unable to put my point across properly here... Suppose I want to get into the abyss. There are multiple ways of getting into the abyss. A tag is supposed to show me how to get into the abyss.

And I will prefer one path over another to get into the abyss. In fact, I might definitely not want to use some path.

Your system gives me a range of paths which, for all practical purposes, are different ways to get to the same abyss.

If you really want to talk further about the feasibility of your system, I suggest you put down tag definitions for the 3 tags you want to put. Then, put down which current tag comes under which new tag.

I believe that you will then realize how subjective people are about these tags, and why people specifically want some paths to get into the abyss. If you don't see this as an issue and are able to convince me or @runsing or corps or anyone else from the tags team, there is a high likelihood that your proposal will be put into action.

9. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    i've already put them, it is literaly in the spoiler

10. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    No, that's really not how it works... People who are looking for femdom do not want to find female submissives, for example. Even published erotica knows to distinguish between these kinds of things. "Fetish" will not cut it.

Also, aren't toys super vanilla?

11. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    toys are probably vanilla but the thrusthnitator 3000 is probably a little to strong for vanilla
    and NU does not have femdom tag

12. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, but it was a simple example. If you must have one that relies on NU tags... Expecting someone to read an incest novel just because they want to see the MC bang some elves is ridiculous.

13. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously, people's preferences for erotic lit can be very specific, and they can change depending on their mood. I used to go around fandom kink memes and consume all the dirty talk tags one day and then the age-difference tags another day. Don't get me wrong, NU's tag system has been great, but I long for the days where I could filter for content down to the tee when fics were archived on deli.ci.ous. But that could have been just the specific fandom I was in.

Moonpearl likes this.
  14. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    incest novel have normally a description that goes like this
    my sister is hot.... and a banged her
    see easy to spot
    why stop there, puttting tags in all chapters so that you can't be catch unware by a unlewd chapter, or better yet by a paragraph
    novels are long term investment so eventually must lewd novel will have almost all tags, so it reach a point that having all tags is the same as having no tags
    hentai with only 20 min of content will have at minimum 10 tags can you imagine what a novel that takes tens of hours to read have

15. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By a similar line of thinking, not all novels listed on NU are massive epics. There are short stories listed here too. Then all the short stories will be collapsed under vanilla, fetish, etc, and not have any meaning either.

AliceShiki and Moonpearl like this.
  16. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Not always. If it's a harem novel where the sibling is just one of many "conquests", it won't get mentioned.

Also, why should I have to research and dismiss all those incest novels just to find some pretty vanilla elf sex? No other site or publisher makes me do that. It would be pointless.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    there are 304 novel with tag elfs (i know cause right below it is the tag rape with 303, just a nice coincidence), for what i considered vanilla sex you had to cross reference it with at least one of these
    First-time Intercourse (101), Fellatio (96),Threesome (62), Anal (62),Masturbation (37), Nudity (36),Cunnilingus (34), Handjob (29), Paizuri (23), Seduction (9),Breast Fetish (10)

and exclude some of these Incest (93),BDSM (35),Adultery (26), Toys (24),Orgy (19), Exhibitionism (19), Outdoor Intercourse (10) Rape (303),Rape Victim Becomes Lover (64),Reverse Rape (59),Sex Slaves (32), Tentacles (9), Bestiality (4),

what i'm saying is trade the first group for a vanilla tag and if there is any of the latter group then it is no longer the vanilla tag but fetish or C.U.M
    in your situation you are better served by my system

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Or... They could use the Series Finder to search for Adult Genre and remove all the tags they don't want to see.

Works much better.

Moonpearl and Ai chan like this.
  19. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I'm not... I'm really not. My idea of "vanilla" is not your idea of "vanilla". Say on top of wanting to avoid incest novels, I don't want threesomes or anal? Or I just really, really want to read a novel with cunnilingus and don't want anything that won't give me that?

It's very easy to customise the search to fit your mood with the current system. Yours is extremely arbitrary.

Kuroguma and AliceShiki like this.
  20. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    ups you open another can of worms
    adult or mature or smut = 33 pages
    only adult = 13 pages
    only mature = 27 pages
    only smut = 6 pages

remind me how this system is actually working

Thread Status: