Discussion reforming sex tags

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DocB, Apr 19, 2019.

?

should this new system be implemented?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2019.
  1. Yes

24.6%
  2. No

68.4%
  3. Only Vanilla

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os_Maias
    Not asian but the plot twist is exactly the one refered

the only issue that happens with the new tag system is that you have to judge the worth of a book by reading it instead of using the cover (or tags in this case)

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But none in NU right? The issue that you raise is not happening here so it doesn’t seems a concern to address for me.

There are multiple issues with your suggestions:

1. I can’t avoid a certain plot line. I’ve mention multiple example in my previous post (reverse rape but not tentacle, incest but not BDSM, BDSM but not orgy, etc)

2. Your definition of vanilla is not standard and each person have their own definition of vanilla. Lots of website play it safe by removing multiple tags that you consider vanilla (anal, 3some, breast fetish, paizuri and even masturbation)

3, i can’t search story that match my taste of the day. With your solution If I want to read about BDSM, I need to browse multiple title that tagged fetish, read the title, see the review and try to read multiple chapters only to find out that the novel doesn’t contain BDSM.

4. If in the future there is more sex act to filter out then we need to expand your definition of vanilla/fetish/HardCore.?Who is the judge for that? There will be long debate to say where we must put “mind control” or “exhibitionist”. With current solution we just need to create a new tag and problem solved

5. There is no issue that you solve that current tag capability can not cover. You only want vanilla? Then search stories with the tag that you mention, done. Better yet, this will match each person definition of vanilla/fetish/HardCore

3. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    if the novel still wasn't reach that point your system is also useless

fuck, if you don't like the vanilla term, just think of it as DocB list of services

same problem as the first with the added problem of starting reading a novel for one type, for it to only appear 100 chapters later.

exhibizionist, already exist and would fall on fetish and mind control doesn't exist, but hypnosis exist, but was it is significance outside of sex acts does not fall under the reform proposed (did you even read the original post)

nope, to search any tag that i consider vanilla and you will get about 90% of all sex novel, if you want what i consider vanilla you would need to search for a or (with all or some) of the vanilla tag with exclude all of the fetish or C.U.M. tags

4. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But if the novel reach that point, the current system solve it. Yours don’t.

It not about the term. The grouping it self have issue. What are the basis of grouping? Who gonna do it? Who determine which tag enter which group? You are using level of sex intencity to group the tag, but who determine that anal is more intense than orgy? Based on what?

Same answer as the first. After certain point, the current capability solve this issue while yours don’t

Mind control and exhibitionist is just an example. The main questions remain, who define which tag enter which group? What are the basis? Did you even read my whole post? It can be “chicken feather” tag and it still issue on where to put the tag.

Ok, you probably right here. But still the definition of vanilla, fetish and hardcore are different each people. I can probably stomach BDSM and orgy but no anal. This is not covered in yours solution. Basically your solution solve very little issue yet creating more and more issue that already solved right now.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    fine, go search for BDSM novel for a 5 min wank to realize that it is vanilla until chapter 100, so try to end up anyway, but 5 min passed and you still aren't finished and have to leave the subway with your pants down
    the same guy that defines the tags overpowered, smart protagonist and invisible dragon is bezt novel

6. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I define that vanilla tag shouldn't include whatever you're trying to include.

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    i define a R0 tag as content suitable to people under age 0

8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    a49DVlRK_700w_0.jpg

9. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And this can be solved by your suggestion how? Your suggestion have the same issue. Tagging a story fetish doesn’t mean it will have fetish from chapter 1 to 100. It mean the story contain fetish sex, somewhere

Like I said, your suggestion solve very little issue, mostly have the same problem with what we have right now and create multiple new problem

This is totally different. This is defining what tag for a novel but the definition of tag it self are clear.

Your suggestions is creating a new tag; which definition are depend on each person. what you consider vanilla maybe fetish for other people and vice versa. So who can determine if tag A need to enter this grouping? What are the basis? You are the one that suggesting this, and yet even your concept are too abstract.

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    This discussion reminds me of animal classification. Take cat or felidae as an example. Tiger, lion, lynx, domestic cat, and so on is included in cat family. If I want to see a white tiger specifically, since there's only "cat" in detail, I'll greatly disappointed if what comes out is a lion in a circus or a zoo.

and this is the Wikipedia link about cats: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae

11. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    but if it is advertised as cat there is no way you would find a dog there, the system works besides "house" cat are the most eficcient hunter in the world, so you don't need to ever see its lees sucessuful cousins

12. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    What Im trying to say here is the current system is useful for people to search a very specific kind of novel while yours can cover a broad range kind of novel, it lacks the ability to search a very specific kind of novel. That means people will have to spend many hours to search a novel of their taste using your proposed system but that can be avoided by using the already accepted and running system. That's it, I won't comment any further than this regarding this matter.

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  13. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    it already lacks the ability, NU sin't a specialty erotica novel site so the amount of sex tags is quite limited, and the longer the novel the worst the tag system becomes, so why not get rid of it and just give a warning about the level of content that you might find
    good, i always like to get the final word

14. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You seems hell bent on saying about level of content yet you can’t even answer on how to corectly define the level of content.

On your point of lack the ability, you only consider include filter not exclude filter. If I hate rape scene, I can use the tag to filter out stories with rape scene. Yours can’t.

Others thing that you keep pointing out is “what if the scene come out on chapter 300+” then the tag not working if I follow the story from chapter 1. Well your solution also don’t solve this issue, and the current tagging system will cover this once the scene come out.

Not with me:D

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  15. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    rape is inlude in the Cum category, defenition criminal or unique (beyond human ability) method, so yah ,say what you want that tentacle is not always rape the point of this system is not to classify if the murder was done with a pipe or a gun, but if it is intentional or accidental.

No it doesn't but the point of this tag system is not to tell what is inside it but give people the warning that you might find thing you don't particulary care about
    it is not a "this contain nuts" but a warning "this might contain nuts"
    Still were and will be for the whole week until the poll closes

16. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But I probably want to read reverse rape story, I just don’t like rape story. Your solution is ignore all in the CUM which limited things that I can read.

And youu keep ignoring the point of excluding certain tag, that is not covered by your system.

The point of tag is always what contain inside. What are the use of “gray area” tag? It like having 10 rooms and each have tag “this maybe a toilet” so you need open one by one to find it

Beside your analogy is not correct, your solution is “this may contain one or more of nuts, meat, milk, soy bean, sugar, coffee and grow hormone”

Which didn’t help anyone as I only alergic to milk and yet the item (based on the tag) may or may not contain milk. I probably avoid a perfectly fine item for me because of your tag.

Then why you selectively ignore my point?

1. How we define the level of intencity that you use as basis of grouping? I’ve pointed out that even your definition of vanilla are not standard and every people will have different definition of vanilla. This mean the grouping is subjective and not usefull

2. The capabilitv to exactly exclude certain theme, which are supported by current tagging system yet is not supported by yours

3. What happen if in the future there is new tag to be added? It tied to point no 1 where there is no standard to determine which group does the tag belong. With the current system, we just need to create a new tag, thats it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  17. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    a defenition is not standart because everyone agrees that it is standart, it is standart because it was proporsed as standart by someone and imposed due to utility
    there are no survey about how much a kilogram weight, it was defined as the standart and protected to prevent fluctuation in the measurment
    but this system also does not fully present, example if you wnat to excxlude missionary position should all novel have such tag because someone might wish to exclude it, how about dark skin? eye colour? at what line do you draw that we are supossed to be able to exclude
    So you are saying that our system of standart should be something constatly mutating to accomadate any and all possible change, instead of one that was designed from ground up to be prepared for any new trend
    example. should the kilogram be used to measured all mass or have pound for grain, elephant for stones and bananas for biological measurment

18. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are totally wrong about the kilogram. Defining a measurement is a lengthy process and need to be agreed by multiple stackholder. Same like your proposal. It need to be standarized but by whom? We can’t use existing word since there is such thing before.

We need to create our own words, define the meaning, spread it out and make sure it popular enough - as not all NU user are NUF member - and all that effort is for what? Solving non existing issue.

Depend on the demand. If there is a big enough demand that the mod think neccesary then it will be added or removed. What the issue here?

First tag is used to label not measure. Second your analogy is off. I said that if there is a new tag, where should be the tag group in? Who define that?

In your example kilogram, pound, stones are tag. It then grouped into “weight measurement”. Then there is other tag like jolt, watt, volt that group as “electricity measurement”

Now if suddenly there is a new tag called dyned that measure how much power can be generated from a 1 kg mouse then it will be grouped with jolt and the others. The definition is clear, while your proposal is not

19. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    The kilogram was originally defined as the mass of a litre (cubic decimetre) of water. That was an inconvenient quantity to precisely replicate, so in 1799 a platinum artefact was fashioned to define the kilogram. That artefact, and the later IPK, have been the standard of the unit of mass for the metric system ever since.
    yup cause Nu is basically the tag and genre system of myanimelist wit wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan added as an after though
    And this is an issue, at least 16 people think this is a good solution and at least you think that this is relevant enough to discuss with me during several days.
    so basically if were a mod, my decision to implement my system would be fine and you would agree with it
    ok, problem solved @Tony make me a mod
    how simple it is to leave decision to some people and hope that they agree with you
    cause NU only has sex tags! brilliant!!! , in my analogy those other measurment would be for other genre of novels, while my system simply measured the kinkness of a novel, if you want to apply to other genres action, for how desciptive the violencce is, for romance how mushi and for comedy how many faceslapped per minute (this seems to be the comedic element for novels here)

20. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and how long it took to replace the definition of kilogram? A day? A week? It took years to agree with the replacement. Which bring me to a point, that your solution will took a lot of time to implement. Maybe even longer than QI vs WW

I don’t understand what you are trying to convey here

12 people agree with you and 4 agree with vanilla. I’m not even sure those 4 agree with your definition of vanilla or not. Even then more people said that your solution is unnecessary (more than double). And me discussion with you is just me wasting time. Up until now you still haven’t address the issue that I keep raising. The exclusion of scene that is not covered by your solution.

Yes. NU and NUF are services created by tony and helped by the mod to manage. If they decide to add/change/replace it is within their right. We can protest and debate but if they hell bent to implement and I don’t like the way they do it, I just leave. Easy.

Never said that. Where the hell do you get this statement?

No. Your solution is grouping tags based on the kinkness level. You are replacing multiple exisiting tag with a new tag. More valid example is you saying “lets remove KG, poind, stone, etc and replace it with light, medium and heavy”

Cause this is what you try to propose, removing tag and create a new abstract measurement that did nothing to solve issue and creating new issue

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.