Discussion Regarding Paid sick leave. How affordable it is during this season ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reagents 11, Mar 1, 2020.

1. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    imK likes this.
  2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't heard anything like that discussed here in NZ....or at least yet. I think they are banking on our isolation and prevention. It's hard to stockpile food and other necessities when you are on a limited income, let alone take leave without pay.

Hmm..if you are out of work here for a long period of time and with a doctor's certificate you can get a temporary benefit but I think that has conditions attached I'm not sure. It might be something to look into for sure.

The crazy thing about the lower income wage earners is that they are more likely to be in positions that spread a sickness: checkout workers, fast-food joints, store employees, cleaning staff, etc. Making sure they can stay home when needed for the good of the community should be important.

The US is really behind when it comes to so much....this is another reminder that we have a lot of work to do so we treat people humanely. (I'm an American ex-pat)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    imK likes this.
  3. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Not many staff to worry about so changes have been minor. Meetings have been reduced and rescheduled as online conference calls where possible. Most staff have the option to submit their work remotely already. Until further notice anybody who is sick gets extended paid sick leave provided they let us know and bring a doctor's certificate on their first day back.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  4. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Meanwhile in the US:

[​IMG]

imK likes this.
  5. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    My work place pretty much put out a memo, that individuals that have traveled to known areas with contact of COVID-19. Are to self-quarantine for 14 days.

They will receive Paid Time Off (Administrative leave) upon confirmation of their travel whereabouts, through travel Itinerary records or through medical documentation. Outside of that window, everything will be on a case-by-case basis.

reagents 11 and Femme Fatale like this.
  6. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a firm believer that if you can't afford to treat your workers well, your business is shit and so are you.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now you made me curious if COVID-19 will affect pregnant women and how it will affect their babies.:hmm: Very dangerous times for newborns and those with weak immune systems or bodies.:blobfearful:

Kuro_0ni and Femme Fatale like this.
  8. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. The weak and sick are so vulnerable... I ache on behalf of pregnant women going through this historical moment in places that already require mandatory isolation...

imK likes this.