Reincarnation Of The Strongest Sword God vs Rebirth of the Thief Who Roamed The World

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by yosr, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yosr

yosr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    shi feng is better sole reason that he is a warrior that has thief and assassin skills. along with cultivation skills.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Early chapters I'd say Rebirth of the Thief, Nie Yan being a thief and using unconventional tactics to find good grind spots and soloing boss monsters by abusing NPC AI and/or special terrain and using the thief class stealth advantage + special items to do special quests and/or grab higher-level treasures. (Sword God also has a bit of that stuff, but a lot less and usually much more simplistic.)

Unfortunately the author just had to be Mad Snail and he's too full of shit and senile so stuff that happens before constantly gets retconned etc. The novel is/was very promising, but simply being promising doesn't make it good. That just makes it even more disappointing when it turns out to not be what it should have been.

Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God however, it's definitely worse in the beginning 200-ish chaps (and it doesn't help that it's clearly being a Rebirth of the Thief copycat), but besides that the author can remember at least most of the stuff (or at least he sometimes goes back and look it up whatever crap he wrote before I guess?) and although there's still quite a lot of bullshit and obvious plot holes (like in most webnovels, especially CN ones) at least there's less of it and they usually aren't significant to the plot. (Which can't be said for Rebirth of the Thief unfortunately.)

Something quite unique in Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God (which some might actually dislike, at least at first—I kind of thought it stupid at first as well, though after reading 2k+ chaps I think it's a good thing) is how instead of one chapter describing what happened in an entire week, what usually happens is that multiple chapters go in depth about everything Shi Feng does in a day. This is shown to the extreme in the beginning when after like 100 chapters it's still the FIRST DAY (which is actually 48 hours in-game, but still) of the game and everyone is still below level 10. I think they didn't even get to the city before 200 chaps?

Also something to note is that in Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God, a lot of the times when you think the author has completely forgot something and the MC (Shi Feng) is retarded for not doing x or y, you'll find him doing that say 500 chapters later, and it still has only been like a week or two (maybe a month), so a large part of it is just about that.

And as a side "bonus" I guess, even if there's some plot hole or mistake chances are that you'll have forgotten the exact details by the sheer number of chapters in between, making great use of "Fridge Logic". I've personally went back and checked some stuff (and checked wiki too) when I felt like something is up. But while there obviously are plenty of times where the author forgot something or just retconned, I found myself incorrect often enough as well.

Now there definitely are still some timeskips, but usually they're just a day or two, maybe a week tops, as Shi Feng is at some place grinding or doing some special quest in a disconnected location.

In both novels it doesn't help that the MCs just tell everyone to do as they say without explaining anything at all and thus looking like idiots until after the fact. In this aspect I think Sword God is a bit worse than Rebirth of the Thief, though it could be because it's the one I read most recently so I just feel it more strongly.

Anyway, something to keep in mind when reading. Rebirth of the Thief is completed at 995 chapters, Sword God is 2500+ chapters and still going, and at this rate it's going to be like 8k+ chapters. Mainstream players are still level 60+ while MC is level 70+ and MC was level 180+ in his past life after 10 years.

The time is still like around 1 year since the game released, so 9 more years before catching up to his previous life. And it could go on even past the previous...

Btw this is one of (if not the only) novel I can say I could totally see myself reading 10k chapters of, but for many reasons that might not be the case for you, so that's something to keep in mind; maybe you'll find this novel better, but simply by the fact that you'd have to wait for years before it finishes or that you simply don't want to read so many chapters, you might end up preferring Rebirth of the Thief or something else anyway.

4. yosr

yosr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bro thx for all of this but for me i read many novels and i always drop them after 3-10 chap most novel i read so far was the revenred insanity like 350 chap i think u read many novels so i'm asking u if there is any good novel that make me cant stop read and read for more any genre jsut good ! i like someone smart or someone when he kill enemy he get stronger any thing good

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly can't think of any atm, most novels take at least a few chapters before they get going and many of the novels that seem good in the beginning burn out of steam real fast and end up trash (God of Slaughter comes to mind for example).

The only two novels I can really think of (which will be quite controversial) that mostly fit what I think you're asking for are Against the Gods and Tales of Demons and Gods. The MC's definitely can't be called smart though, or even if they're "smart" they're also very "hot-blooded". But they should be some of your best bets if you want some fast paced stuff.

As for growing stronger when killing enemies, how about novels with game elements and/or game system cheats?

For example some of my fav novels are The Amber Sword and Abyss Domination (or you could try Advent of the Archmage and Night Ranger, which are both fully translated). Basically MC ends up transported to fantasy world that's based of games, and they still keep the basic game system like being able to get EXP from killing others and allocate attribute points, choosing abilities/feats. Basically they're like semi-players in fantasy-world-turned-real where everyone else are "NPC".

So they can grow faster by killing stuff and they make plans and strategize since they know parts of the future and have experience from playing the games so they quickly get their combat abilities up to snuff.

Edit: Actually, along with ATG and TDG, you could try God and Devil World (note that this novel has a lot of Chinese supremacy and racism in it, in case you can't stand that)

Edit 2: I don't think this novel fit in terms of anything else (honestly objectively speaking I think it's even a bad novel) but somehow when I read it (and it seems a lot of other people also do it, plus that they love it) I just couldn't stop myself from reading it.
    The Second Coming of Gluttony

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  6. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Never read the thief one but RSSG had ridiculous time stretching among all novel I ever read... And also ridiculous amount of money from whaling (the bad guy )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.