Resolved reinstall win10, unable to activate the microsoft office 2016.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Takeru Takaishi, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... Is there a way to activate it? Microsoft office 2016 for home/student?

Daitengu likes this.
  2. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get your license number and call their help line.

3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    why use 2016? when 2010 version has almost all the same features and you don't have to pay no monthly fee.

4. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just buy a new activation code.

In my country you can get one for 5 bucks

5. Takeru Takaishi

Reading List:
    Link
    Got this laptop hand me down from dad. Dad brought the license for 2016. AFAIK none of those yearly edition has monthly fee. You might have thought about 365 instead.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. Takeru Takaishi

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh... which country are you from?

7. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just find a license activator coding at youtube ofc... If you're one of the guys whose pc was forcefully upgraded to win10, and the standard office was "upgraded" to office 365. I think it's just to get that activator I guess since you're just a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

P.S. iirc, there's a one-time activation key to office 365 right? just the standard programs ofc(word, excel, pp) ... I think it was 5 - 10$ iirc.

8. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're a student, your university likely offers free licenses. If you're not, ask your father if he still has the key. Even if he doesn't, he should be able to login online, disable the old key and issue a new one through Microsoft. If he got the original code through work, he can ask for another license from his employer.

9. justmehere

Reading List:
    Link
    Indonesia..

I think this is not a special occurance. If you watch science studio in YouTube he was promoting activation code for win 10 for 12 bucks.

10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know nor do I care cus anything that is annual or monthly is a ripoff when these office product use to be buy it once and done.

11. Takeru Takaishi

Reading List:
    Link
    I still have the boxes and keys.
    2016, 2019 is buy once and done.
    huh... me too. Where did you buy it? Tokopedia?

12. Takeru Takaishi

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, borked driver installation made my PC BSOD. I'm reinstalling it.

13. justmehere

Reading List:
    Link
    iya, cari aja.

Sering beli koq

14. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need to pay the subscription for Microsoft Office, you can use a free suite like Openoffice or Libreoffice. With a stable internet connection I would use the Google Suite though, if you never try it, do it, it will change your world; actually you can also use the Google Suit without internet but sync and sharing features would be disabled.

15. Takeru Takaishi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't need to. I already have one license for 2016.

anyway... I reinstalled my windows 10 again, use the account with office 2016 license as the main account and it works without problem right now.

Thanks everyone.

16. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but not to be too annoying like a weekend religious door-knocker, but libreoffice.org will ALWAYS be free, and NEVER have 'activation issues'. Ever.

Bit of a pet peeve of mine whenever people want me to 'crack' their M$ Orifice when the activation trips and MIcro$uck successfully steals another activation from another hopeless victim, confident their customers are clueless and inflexible enough to buy another license... again and again and again for the rest of their lives.

userunfriendly likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried Libreoffice once, it felt kinda unwieldy and somewhat slow and not really worth it. I'd rather use MS Office.

Kinda like using GIMP instead of Photoshop. You can if you need to, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that can afford Photoshop.

18. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe this is a matter of what you're used to, rather than how 'unwieldy' things are.

Photoshop is a wet, stinking mess of a UI (and so is GIMP). Micro$uck Orifice and LibreOffice.org are similarly buried in poorly organized 'features' that one in a thousand people might need, to try to please everyone.

If you can simply get over the little hill of experience, they're quite interchangeable. Heck, you use 'different' editors every day on different forums, too. Probably more often than you use a word processor.

It's downright pathetic/sad/tragic/evil how (broke, penniless) children are taught to use the commercial products with either the permanent 'subscription' fees or that cost hundreds of dollars right up front, and need to be paid for with every 'new' version (which can be incompatible with 'old' versions)... when for pushing pixels or typing text, either will do the job just fine.

Especially when you consider building a 'team' to do something, and you multiply those costs... or resort to 'piracy'. Sort of like shoplifting stale, shrink wrapped sandwiches from a store, because the almost identical, perfectly good sandwiches you have in your lunch box don't have a pretty, colorful wrapper.

To maximize irony, Microsoft is infamous for utterly 'redesigning' their UI every few years and forcing their users into the same learning curve that they'd go through with switching to the free project. Adobe just keeps adding more and more shit to menus, and never considers their UI much at all.

Yamcha likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I politely disagree, Photoshop was really intuitive, while in GIMP I needed a tutorial on how to make a circle... >.>

I dunno which one is better, but Photoshop is definitely a LOT easier to use.
    Difference in opinions on that one I guess, I preferred MS Word~
    Almost all forums out there just use BB Code though? At most they have different shortcuts. (and maaaaaaybe a few very specific differences on the more complex stuff)

Only "forum" that uses a different system that I can think of from the top of my head is Reddit, and I think most people can agree that Reddit's editor is kinda garbage exactly because it doesn't use BB Code. (and because you can't do anything in Mobile Mode and spacing also gets mega messed up in Mobile)
    The new versions always have compatibility with old versions though? You can open 2003 files with Word 2019 just fine.

You also don't need to upgrade your version whenever they release a new one. I think I still use Word 2013 on my PC. (or was it 2010? I forgot) Rather, I never heard of anyone that upgrades their MS Office version at any moment except when they change computers and need to buy a new MS Office package... Which usually happens like... Once per decade or something? I certainly don't mind paying for MS Office once per decade if it means I don't need to use Libre Office~

Again though, just my opinion on everything. I tried Libre Office and I disliked it, so I'd much rather use MS package instead.

... And on a side note (I know you didn't mention it, but figured I might as well comment on it), I'd much much much rather use MS Office over Google Docs/Sheets and what not, never imagined it was possible for a text editor to be that heavy and that slow.

20. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of your opinion is probably because you have grown accustomed to the suite of Office, there's a reason there are other suites and in that sense there's a reason that even Linux is still used.

Old versions of Office Suite lack specially in the sharing features that although maybe not many they are very important for work or study in modern days. Just for the sharing aplications many prefer the Google Suite cuz it is more affordable and more updated with times, heck just paying the G Suite Basic you have personalized options for mail and website, perfect for small and medium business. Then comes all addons and integrations such and Zappier or IFTTT. With Microsoft you can have more or less the same but with much more restrictions, spending much more and with a more discriminating user base.

Office 365 goes from $70 to $100 in its official page. Now you could still say, 'I can just install an old version of Office' but then you lose time looking for it, installing making it sure it has no bugs, then suffer everytime there are compatibility problems and have 0 sharing features in the worst case. Sorry to say this but that's no smart, you could install (in like 3 minutes) a free Suite if you have bad/no internet or use Google Suite (ready to use as soon you have a Gmail account) if you have a good connection. Or just leave your data hostage and pay 70-100 bucks to MS every year.