Request Approved Relation between novels based on shared readers.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Agecaf, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    This is more of a "That'd be interesting to have" than a "Please do this!".

I'm not sure but it could be interesting to see how two novels correlate based on their readers i.e. something like "80% of those who read novel A are also reading novel B".

If it were possible... we would be able to take our favorite novels and see which novels correlate the most with them! That is, we could sort novels by how likely they are to be similar to our favorites!

How it could be calculated? Many ideas come to mind; maybe using the correlation coefficient from stats (0), or a simple "readers of both A and B / readers of A" (1), "readers of both A and B / readers of B" (2), or a linear interpolation of (1) and (2) (weighted mean). If A is the novel we know and B the one we're looking for, then (1) would favor more generally popular novels, whereas (2) would favor more niche ones, I think. (0) Might be the most unbiased, but I'm not sure..

I'm not sure how computationally feasible would that be though : /

2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have something planned but I haven't worked out all the details yet. I'll mark this thread as 'approved' and will come back to it. Thanks!

Agecaf likes this.