Discussion Release That Witch Translation Drama - Mega Merge

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ishmael, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why there translTor willing do qidian novel cauze they want got hired or hope qidian buy they translation ita all about money but mostly theze kind translator dont have hign standart most of real good translator will pick another publisher novel if tjere a good translator doing qidian novel that mean they got a good deal there no such a thing for the fans

2. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. ishira

ishira Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, i don't think Seki is wrong (by stealing march?) by translating RtW when Rox still have sponsored chapter to release. Few of my points of this "drama":
    - At first, Seki didn't really care about being listed on NU, Seki just mention it after some comments asking why his/her translation not being listed on NU, and only then starting to look for how to get listed, which he/she mention later that he/she need 50 chapters to get listed.
    - AFAIK that Seki started translating when Rox still doing sponsored chapter, but only for himself and some readers that can't wait. And from his statement a few days ago, he did translation to escape from his depression by working on something he/she can enjoy. (source : here). He/she post his/her translation so people can enjoy or correct what he/she translate.
    - Seki did have patreon, but AFAIK he/she didn't engage in "money for chapter", his patreon page is only for support (that means non-forced donations).

My point is, Seki is just doing his/her own things when the drama started by some people, and i think Seki don't deserve to get this much hate from community. And i personally don't hate Qidian or any other group, as long as they not stealing other translators works without any credit or using it for money-transaction (something that actually happened before, i forgot the site, but it not Qidian).

Weedisdaboss likes this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    If the new TL'er's TLs need a little bit of TLC then...

NU edit power ASSEMBLE!

there's enough heads reading it to be able to help the guy out. new TL'ers are a good thing.

5. Alex Crimson

Alex Crimson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Westeller's timeline leaves out the fact Qidian started translating RTW before Seki. Qidian has the rights, but poaching the translation of a novel has nothing to do with the Chinese version, nor who has the original rights for the novel. Starting your translation whilst another group is translating the same novel, that is poaching, no? Its not a legal matter, but something the community frowns upon, and NU bans. If Roxerer had not stopped translating, do you think Qidian wouldve kept their chapters? They started translating after contacting Roxerer before chapter 330 released.

Once again, if NU is so sure there is poaching going on, they should remove that translation from the site, regardless of who it is.

As for the translation quality, i have no idea why Seki chose to translate certain lines like that, but i cannot read the raws, so it makes no difference to me. I am fine with translators taking some liberty with the translation in other to allow for smoother reading.

6. Ananse

Ananse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah aggregators do more harm than good, people seem to think that QI is some cold, unfeeling corporate machine and forget that there's translators in there who are innocent of any crime the community pins on QI.

Poaching touches more on the moral side of things I think. I don't know if it's hypocritical of me to say this but if a series that was being poorly translated was poached by a better translator I'd be okay with it, ecstatic even maybe, but if it was done in a more scummy kind of way (as in the series had no problem translation wise and just had a week or two with no releases) then I wouldn't be alright about it.

^Which can lead to the series being dropped by the original group that was translating it (the higher quality one) and then everyone's left with the poor quality work.

Logicsol likes this.
  7. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I was here b4 the merge and I have read every post here.

catatopatch likes this.
  8. catatopatch

catatopatch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm:that avatar so perfect...matches that reply so well.

9. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow i dont know anymore, somewhat my post ended Up in a drama thread(n)
    What i get of it all is that readers got a serious trauma with the Word MTL.
    I share the same thought as someone posted before, that its unfair to think of someone Using MTL for their translations is doing some shity work.
    MTL is just a tool how you use it is a different matter.
    And i assure seki translations are improving.
    About who is wrong and who is not in taking the translation.
    I am out of that drama, qidian made it complicated when they put profit in middle.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... And honestly? I don't think Qidian is as bad as people say either.

They're just a company, they aren't "fan"translators (between quotations because I don't call things like WW and Volare as fantranslators either), they're a company and they want money... Basically, the same as any other company in the world.

I'm 95% sure nobody would care about what Qidian does if they had clashed against WuxiaDream instead of WW... Even if the situation was the exact same.

As for poaching... Hmmm... I personally don't care about it. If someone is translating just for the sake of spreading the novel, I think that person would probably pick up another series and be done with it.

Ananse likes this.
  11. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks dood

12. Ananse

Ananse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the main problem with QI was how they went about doing things. It's like you said they're a company and you can't really fault them for trying to profit from the translated webnovel industry but if they had exercised a bit more tact they wouldn't be in the position they're currently in (although I doubt they really care about it anyway).

And yeah if QI had clashed with a group like Wuxiadream instead of WW no ome would've been angry at QI... but to be fair comparing WW with the like's of Wuxiadream isn't a fair comparison.

As for the poaching I disagree, I mean if someone translated a novel for the sake of getting it out there and someone else poached it from them and their translations/grammar etc were sub par then I personally wouldn't be okay with it and move on and I can't see a translator doing the same to be honest, although I'm sure there's been cases like that that have occurred before.

Mangochic likes this.
  13. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem that I have with QI is because they are company but don't act like it.

1. When they have beef with WW, what did they do? They complain to the community rather than deal with it in court. This paint QI as unprofessional and borderline amateur.

2. When people are asking/cornering them, they go missing. How many open question that @Qidian failed to answer? If you want to speak, make sure you finish it, if not then don't speak at all.

3. They don't care about quality to customer. Several other people already pointing their low quality, but they still keep the same TL team, no editor and poor chapter quality.

4. They don't bridge the TL and the user. If you had read the thread by noodletown, he said that while he have "responsibility" to deliver X chapter/week. Nothing happen if he can't deliver.

I think there are also several cases where other title (i Think "I have mansion in another world") can't fulfill their quota, but no info come from QI.

I realize that TL are human that may have RL issue (sick, family matter, etc.) but QI should keep in touch and update the user.

There are several other issue with QI as a "company", but I think the 4 points above is enough for now

Mangochic and Fooljastic like this.
  14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Eeeeeeh...? Both are translator companies, both are there basically for the profit, both make fast releases... One has a high quality standard, the other has an okayish quality standard; one is old on the business, one is relatively new.

That's about it, I don't see how it's an unfair comparison. It's just that WW has some loyal customers, while Wuxiadream has none.

Well, I doubt Qidian cares about it either... Having tact just doesn't look like something that makes sense for them.
    Oh, they definitely do.
    I've read the 1st post of every Qidian thread, they made announcements on their stance and tried pulling the community to their side. That's no complaining, that's a business strategy, strike first and paint your opponent in a bad light.
    Try sending an e-mail to Microsoft about their business decisions and your intake in it, see if they reply.

If not, well... I guess you will have a comparison to make.
    I've seen a few people saying that they have some novels with quality, and others with bad quality.

I've also seen at least one announcement by Qidian saying that they had an editor going through all of WuxiaDream's chapter for a given novel (I don't know which novel that was, I didn't pay attention), so as to make the quality better.
    What? Seriously? Sure, they have a release schedule, but they don't need to give notices every single time one translator or another won't reach the quota. You can say it's more "professional" if they did, but they have way too many projects already, what company notifies their customers of every single small issue they find?

I don't see how they don't look like a company in anyone's eyes... The last point is the only thing that remotely shows lack of professionalism, and even then, it's kind of a stretch.

I don't have any problem with anyone hating Qidian, I couldn't care less about the whole matter. Accuse them of being anti-ethic, of not caring about the community, of ruining the spirit of online translations, or whatever else you can think of that makes sense, tons of people already did that.

But saying they look like an amateur company? That's laughable, they definitely look like a big company trying to smash a small one, no matter how you look at it.

asriu and Fooljastic like this.
  15. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me fix it. They don't act like a professional company.

The matter are not finalized, their post paint WW as the guilty party when the court haven't started yet and when WW confront them, they bailed out making them looke like the guilty. Like I said, if you want to talk, make sure you can finish it.

When I complain in microsoft QnA forum, they reply and make sure the questions are answered. QI post here, saying things but when people ask for clarification they go MIA. So yeah, I have my comparison

Announcement is one thing, doing it is another thing. I'm not saying that all of their TL are bad, but user have give them feedback, here in NUF and in the comment section. What did they do? Ignore and delete. They don't want to improve.

The release is part of their commitment to user. Not the TL. When they can't deliver, it their job to tell the user.
    When apple announce a relase date of the new IPhone, then they can't make it because technical issue, who make the announcement? The developer or the conpany?

You are right, they look like a company but an amateur company for me.

Big =\= professional. Professional speak with product, service and response. All which QI haven't meet the standard

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Fooljastic and Mangochic like this.
  16. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Announcement, seki joined qidian :blobpopcorn:

17. Ananse

Ananse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiadream have been embroiled in one controversy after another. There was the time when Bagelson ,who had been translating Doulou Dalu for about 2 years, had his comments section flooded with spam accounts promoting Douluo Dalu on Wuxiadream and troll accounts making death threats in an effort to get him to drop the novel.

They poached Doulou Dalu 2&3 from WuxiaWorld too depsite Wuxiaworld having the licenses for both novels and announcing their intentions to translate/host both novels months ago.

The quality standard for Wuxiadream isn't okayish, it's only a step above MTL really.

Yes, both are companies, have fast releases but while both are in for the profit atleast WuxiaWorld started off as fantranslation as opposed to Wuxiadream who clearly only joined the translation scene for money from the start. It's not really surprising that WuxiaWorld have people willingly donating money through patreon for them when you consider all they've done in regards to making chinese fantasy webnovels popular.

So it isn't really a fair comparison because you'd be hard pressed to find people (the kind of people who run around with hashtags of support for WuxiaWorld) to care for Wuxiadream like they do for Wuxiaworld after all the morally bankrupt actions Wuxiadream have done in their time exisiting.

Mangochic likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... Basically, one company is liked, and the other is not, right?

Yeah, basically that, it's a totally fair comparison, the company that is liked receives support, the company that is disliked either receives hate or indifference, it's the exact point I wanted to make.

19. Ananse

Ananse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the support comes from the fact that WuxiaWorld have a solid fanbase because they've been in the community for about 2-3(?) years as opposed to Wuxiadream which has only been around for a couple of months, so yeah it isn't a fair comparision in my opinion.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... New and without support company VS old and with an established fanbase company?

Still the same comparison...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.