Discussion Reminder that the creators (authors and artists ) don't get the support they need.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ATrueStory, Dec 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Credit belongs to u/peuairy in this Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/OtomeIsekai/comments/kiouao/translation_in_the_comments/

The post is the user sharing a screenshot where a mahwha artist says this translated tweet:
    Translation: „It‘s really too much. I split a sandwich I bought from a convenience store today in half, so I can have lunch and dinner. I know it’s useless imagination but it drives me nuts to think they’re profiting.

Please don’t view it illegally.. the artist that drew that ate one sandwich today.

Please do not steal and pay at the official website.“

(translation credit goes to the reddit user).

Emphasis on the second sentence coz I can't bold things anymore. Like many readers here, I am thankful for anyone who can provide me a translated version of any story that I like for free. The Scrooge part of me wants to consume the stories I like without any strings nor obligations. However, I would like to put a spotlight on the other side of the creative output - the authors and artists who rely on their works for a living. If you are a translator, reader, or anyone who enjoyed a piece of webtoon or novel, hopefully, we can all have a chance to give back and give them support.

For those, you were using their hard-earned money on various platforms to spoil us, these are people you can help and continue to help. For those who cant front this in the meantime, I hope we can have the chance to help when we can. For those who don't give a shit, I hope your creative juices ran out and Murphy's law be cast upon you.

In whatever capacity, I hope we can let these people feel that we appreciate they work whether we disagree or criticize said work. Or we love their work to bits.

Maybe some of us will venture to be a web novelist or artist or publisher and we'll be taking their shoes in the future. But I hope we can all pay it back and forward in something that gave us joy, made us laugh, angry and everything in between.

END PSA

xnvesha.14, applebeans, Rumby and 4 others like this.
  2. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    If one can do it legally, then I support the legal translation. If not well, it's not like I can read these in English elsewhere.

Reack and asriu like this.
  3. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, WE need to support those, who entertain us with their talents, I myself have written few chapters for my own novel, honestly it is Garbage Infront of the novels I read online, it take almost 4 hours to write one, and it's without edit.

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    uh huh~
    how you can buy thing you not understand and not being a target consumer on first place~ unless you into collector category~

ai~ is it worth the effort? is it worth the money?

5. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly , I feel like these translation statements are sorta.. misplaced.
    Now hear me out before you bring out pitchforks.

Take current chinese and now slowly Korean novel scene - The current huge western market they have is due to illegal translation sites like wuxiaworld , which is bringing them money they could have NEVER gotten if it wasn't for those illegal translations giving them exposure and creating fanatic cults for them.
    How would any of us English readers even know of the existence of these authors/their works if it wasnt for these TLs? As much as they like to argue, the sales are only EFFECTED if they have proper english publishing in the first place, which they do not for a vast vast majority - Meaning they lose no payers, instead they do gain some payers of the people who are impatient and go buy raws to post spoilers/read in original language or even the TL groups buying those raws.
    Secondly, the vast popularity in west of these illegal translations make the market trends, thus exploding the genre itself, which again benefits the all authors because their works are now mainstream.

Look at Otomesekai stories now and 5 years ago, Market was dead back then - you would be struggling to even find those stories, Then came wave of fan translations of some of those, western market exploded - the eastern publishers felt the impact, and the genre became mainstream, now there are endless new mangas of those genre daily and the original of those series got a boost in popularity as pioneers and people read them to just see what brought the wave.

Hell even series like one piece etc wouldn't have 1/5th of its popularity if it wasn't for these fan tls who made western readers addicted to it and purchase huge merchandise.

Some of these authors have publishers so small they can't really even hope for western market, these fan tl help them get exposed and enhance their portfolio IMO.

They think in the sense of - we have 1000 readers, 600 pay and 400 pirate, omg loss of 400. But fail to realize why 900 of those 1000 even came to know of this series out of the country of origin.

Tons of people end up buying raws even if they can't read it just to support authors if they like their works they read in english TL's.

Their situation is more to blame on the Industry and publishers itself, which treat them as slaves. Anime industry getting bashed for working conditions isn't new and even people like Kubo etc had beefs with publishers over work ethics etc.

If the Comic/Cartoon market never left Japan/Korea/China due to anti piracy, they wouldn't be what they are today by far.

Reack, riririn and eray.gns like this.
  6. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Naver OP soars 80% on yr, sales best-ever in Q2

Naver Corp. fielded as Korea’s big-tech main player flourished during social distancing height in the second quarter under virus risk on record quarterly revenue driven by surge in online shopping, webtoon and clouding demand.The company in a regulatory filing on Thursday said its operating profit for the second quarter ended June 30 came to 230.6 billion won ($194 million), up 4.1 percent from previous quarter and 79.7 percent from a year earlier." Source

This here is the real reason sadly, not the poor college students.

7. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you but at the same time I just want to say that some translators/translation groups really do the least for sending any readers to support the author. Examples: not linking to the original raws, not even having the raw title available on their site, not having the author's name (translated or not) on their site, etc. It's so frequent with the types of novels I read and I really hate it.

Reack, Rumby and asriu like this.
  8. daisie678

daisie678 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you are right most of the translator do that they don't mention the author name, most of the time the reader not even know the author-name that is not fair we all have to appreciate that person who gives us knowledge and entertainment.

9. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    Could the authors set up a way for people to donate money to them electronically so that people who feel guilty about it can give them some money? Maybe the link for donations could then be put on the NU page for their story. Would PayPal work for something like this? Anyways, just throwing the idea out there. I don't really know if it could actually work.

10. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of novels (specifically Korean and Chinese novels) are paywalled in the source text, so you're actually supposed to pay to read them in the first place. If you want to donate, the publisher's site usually has a way to send their currency to the author. It's not actually that hard to support the author if you have the link and auto-translating the page (or sometimes there's even someone who's made a guide to the site), which is why I have a problem with translators who don't have info about the raws on their site, especially direct links to the raws.

Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.