renegnade immortal becomes a generic powerup novel

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by letmeusefilter, Oct 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    He is technically right although he is more jaded than anything else.
    The book was released in 2009, possibly planned even earlier..
    If it was the first translated novel he read or he read it in 2009 then it won't be generic but if he read novels release half a decade after it and then go back and reads it then yeah, from that perspective it's generic as hell.
    Unlike most, I didn't join novel updates or wuxiaworld for xianxia but actual wuxia.
    It has been a long time since I admitted xianxia wasn't my cup of tea.
    The thread starter is just a late bloomer be kind to him lol

2. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    He is only technically half right, because even after literally 2 decades the number of Xianxias which do what I listed above are almost nonexistant. So to this day it still is outstanding, by Xianxia standards. Or else I'd be the first to shit on it, because I was actually dropping the whole Xianxia genre before a friend of mien linked me an Er Gen work, and told me that I at least give it a try.
    I never regretted that.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure if it's Er Gen or IET but one of them puts me to sleep.
    Some people are looking for boobs or a rush.
    It's best to make your peace and give up on something if it is not what you are looking for but humans are closet masochists : working deadend jobs, staying in abusive relationships etcetera
    Who am I to judge?

[​IMG]

Nepuko likes this.
  4. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    cough I'd wager it's IET cough

Also lol, your comment made me chuckle XD.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I aim to please. As a comedian, I am very honored.
    Besides, fighting over novels is kinda offputting.
    We should enjoy ourselves.It is not an academic essay.
    There is nothing new under the sun
    Also, if you guys have good novels then recommend that I translate them or if you wrote a cool "xianxia to defeat all xianxias" then I will willing to adapt it into a comic.
    Cheers!

Nepuko likes this.
  6. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, lol thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to remember ;)

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller is this thread eligible for lock or deletion? I know we had troll threads before but this seems pretty bait-y. Feel considering how popular RI is it'll devolve pretty fast.

The Empyrean likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick question. Why dont you quote people in your posts?

9. letmeusefilter

letmeusefilter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong with the dao part being there, but it's generic in the way that it's used no more than something as a power scale. Defining the strength of a dao, based on the characteristics of the person, is fine, but hardly exploring the characteristics of the essences in the series and how they can be used is how Renegade Immortal becomes generic. Essentially it goes: my essence is stronger than your essence, you lose because your essence is weak. That hardly delves into anything philosophical or deep, it's just a shallow cover to hide the basic "ooga booga more power" that you see in most xianxias.

Aside from the initial, "oh that's how" that happens with Wang Lin when he gets essences throughout the series, there really isn't anything special after that. It just becomes some strong power or weapon that's able to be quantified. So much for depth and comprehension, it's just a there's always a bigger fish type of scenario. Heck, scratch what I typed earlier, aside from a few of the abilities Wang Lin have that he's earned through some hard work or long time of training, the rest are spoon fed to him through some fortuitous event.

"Infuse your comprehension and Essences into an item" goes back to the previous point. How exactly does that happen? Passing on comprehension? Oh, I can suddenly use this thing! No need for an in-depth understanding of this thing that took the original person probably a lot of hard work to learn. Comprehension becomes a glorified qi-culitvation-esque type of system where you just take in "higher quality" and "higher quantity" material and thus are nAturAllY stronger than your opponents.

The thing about Wang Lin's enemies or the antagonists of the arcs is that they're typically much older than him, and so should be more experienced. Instead, because Wang Lin is special and has extReme TaleNt he's somehow wiser and thus stronger than old fogey cultivators. That's why he's stronger! Because his comprehension is just better than theirs! Tee-hee, 100 is greater than 90! There's nothing complex about that really. A person that's lived for hundreds of thousands of years or even millions gets overpowered by this 'young' guy who is just so much more wiser. The Ancient Ones type of cultivation also contradicts comprehension in the sense of understanding abstract concepts. They literally just punch things so hard it breaks and they win. ???????

That's why the earlier chapters were better. Nascent soul actually meant something (before we get introduced to way more cultivation levels), and you would have to find out what your specific dao or idea of power was. Pretty much thrown out, with it becoming 100 is greater than 90 and comprehension being thrown into the mud.

Renegade Immortal isn't the only series where there's a theme. Maybe it's one of the ones that's more fleshed out, but far from being special in that regard. I can't name them off the top of my head since they're all pretty similar = ) but many of the xianxia stories have something like 'fighting against society/the heavens' as their main theme. Nothing special there, and in fact quite generic/common.

Delving on what it means to be a cultivator is nothing special. And yes, MC actually using his wits was what made the series more enjoyable in the beginning. Backstabs or your point of 'realism' is common in other xianxia novels. Side characters conveniently become relevant, and also most of them are forgotten, unless they're not side characters but major players.

Deep philosophy. Okay.

Xianxias being similar/different isn't the issue, it's about the degree of which. If Renegade Immortal showed only a bit of generic elements here and there, then it would be alright. Instead, it's pretty much full-blown into the xianxia mold.

From a logical point of view, "generic" would be subjective, not objective, and thus there is no inherent right or wrong when it comes to talking about it. Acting intelligent as a pseudo-intellectual is pretty nice to see.

10. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was on phone when I replied, and it get laggy fast so I did so out of laziness too haha.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh. You do realise you're talking on the execution and completely ignoring if the idea itself isn't common (and it isn't)?? You're complaing about how it is done rather than the originality of it being there in the place. But well, it's already better than before, now you're trying.

>"Nothing wrong with the dao part being there, but it's generic in the way that it's used no more than something as a power scale. Defining the strength of a dao, based on the characteristics of the person, is fine, but hardly exploring the characteristics of the essences in the series and how they can be used is how Renegade Immortal becomes generic. Essentially it goes: my essence is stronger than your essence, you lose because your essence is weak."

Well duh, the more you comprehend the stronger your essence. It's obvious that this will still be a "i'm stronger than you", news flash it's a Xianxia. You also conveniently ignore the very fact that the concept of comprehending Essence and leveling through that isn't common.

>"Aside from the initial, "oh that's how" that happens with Wang Lin when he gets essences throughout the series, there really isn't anything special after that. It just becomes some strong power or weapon that's able to be quantified. So much for depth and comprehension, it's just a there's always a bigger fish type of scenario. Heck, aside from a few of the abilities Wang Lin have that he's earned through some hard work or long time of training, the rest are spoon fed to him through some fortuitous event."

Because gladly, Er Gen isn't someone who'll keep repeating the same shit 1000 times. This dude comprehended it this way, this dude comprehended that way, you get how it works. If he did show the "how" the novel would be 3k+ chapters long, god forbids.

>"Infuse your comprehension and Essences into an item" goes back to the previous point. How exactly does that happen? Passing on comprehension? Oh, I can suddenly use this thing! No need for an in-depth understanding of this thing that took the original person probably a lot of hard work to learn. Comprehension becomes a glorified qi-culitvation-esque type of system where you just take in "higher quality" and "higher quantity" material and thus are nAturAllY stronger than your opponents."

I'm starting to question if you're doing it on purpose. But a quick rough recap : you comprehend the laws of the world -> if your comprehension's deep enough you can form Essence -> with Essence you can do all kind of stuff, heck they can turn Essence into Conceptual Swords. News flash, this isn't real world. This is a world where a you can eat Planets for breakfast, when concepts can be grasped, and where you don't die if your body explodes.
    And I don't see what you're point with the latter part of that comment. "No need for an in-depth understanding"? What wasn't clear when I said the dude can make an item with his Essences?
    And no, unlike Qi, you gotta work your ass to comprehend. There'll obviously be power-creep, just look at this genre, but the thought behind the system itself there is uncommon. And I don't see what's wrong with what you're saying? If we go with what you're implying, someone who understood the Concept of frigging Space-Time and can weild it is supposed to be the same strenght as someone who comrpehended the Essence of, say, Water? Bruh.

>"The thing about Wang Lin's enemies or the antagonists of the arcs is that they're typically much older than him, and so should be more experienced. Instead, because Wang Lin is special and has extReme TaleNt he's somehow wiser and thus stronger than old fogey cultivators. That's why he's stronger! Because his comprehension is just better than theirs! Tee-hee, 100 is greater than 90! There's nothing complex about that really. A person that's lived for hundreds of thousands of years or even millions gets overpowered by this 'young' guy who is just so much more wiser. The Ancient Ones type of cultivation also contradicts comprehension in the sense of understanding abstract concepts. They literally just punch things so hard it breaks and they win. ???????"

Er Gen himself adressed that. Unlike those old "experienced" ennemies who were nurtured since birth in a sect, full of treasures, sat their backside in a cave for thousands of years, MC spent 2000 thousand years battling, scheming, surviving, etc. A 15 yo kid who lived his whole life in war would have way more experience than a casual 40 years old salaryman. Deathblade also explained it in this video : I invite you to watch it. And yes, in a cultivation system where Comprehension is prettu much 90% of what matters, a better comprehension would mean better quality, and hence stronger as a cultivation. It's pretty simple and logical, why you say it childlishly and imply it's something bad is beyond me. Also yes, 100 is greater than 90. Anyway, now that the point of "why is a young guy wiser than old dudes" (while ignoring the 3 or more antagonists who alsmost screwed over Wang Lin witht their schemes) is resolved, the next point : In case you missed it, there's a reason why it's called the Ancient Cultivation Path. Because it is different from the normal one. But I'll digress.

>"That's why the earlier chapters were better. Nascent soul actually meant something (before we get introduced to way more cultivation levels), and you would have to find out what your specific dao or idea of power was. Pretty much thrown out, with it becoming 100 is greater than 90 and comprehension being thrown into the mud."

Did you forget that said "specific Dao" continue being relevant and worked on till it literally becomes an Essence in the 3rd step? I guess you did, seeing you say it was "thrown into the mud". But, everyone has opinions so good for you if you life the earlier chapters.

>"Renegade Immortal isn't the only series where there's a theme. Maybe it's one of the ones that's more fleshed out, but far from being special in that regard. I can't name them off the top of my head since they're all pretty similar = ) but many of the xianxia stories have something like 'fighting against society/the heavens' as their main theme. Nothing special there, and in fact quite generic/common."

That wasn't the theme I mentioned in the first place, so what are you even arguing here? The "going against heavens" theme is indeed present in some Xianxias, (and the fact you can't name them off is because you can't think of other ones btw ;) ) but again it wasn't what I was talking about. And I fail to see any argument here aside from purely subjective statements.
    "Maybe it's one of the ones that's more fleshed out", "Nothing special there, and in fact quite generic/common.". Huh. Seems legit.

>"Delving on what it means to be a cultivator is nothing special. And yes, MC actually using his wits was what made the series more enjoyable in the beginning. Backstabs or your point of 'realism' is common in other xianxia novels. Side characters conveniently become relevant, and also most of them are forgotten, unless they're not side characters but major players."

No, it is special. Yes, that's what it made it enjoyable at the beginning indeed. No, that type of backstabbing, schemes and realism isn't common in other Xianxias, you put them in Ri they all die..at least in the Alliance. Side characters "conveniently" being relevant? That's you not getting the foreshadowing. "Most of them are forgotten"? By chapter 1700 not one loose end of any relevant side character. Keypoint, "relevant". I agree on the part that not important ones, while havign their loose ends being all tied, are "forgotten" indeed. But honestly why would one care about irrelevant side characters in the first place? Unless you'd like the novel to be 4k+ chapters >_>

>"Deep philosophy. Okay."
    uuh....okay?

>"Xianxias being similar/different isn't the issue, it's about the degree. If Renegade Immortal showed only a bit of generic elements here and there, then it would be alright. Instead, it's pretty much full-blown into the xianxia mold."
    You talk about the execution while ignoring the idea, then someone ends in this conclusion. As I shown above, that is wrong. I'm not saying it dosen't have its "generic" moments, but with all those "ungeneric" stuff it has it just cannot be called "generic". Using your logic, any work would be generic, be it a masterpiece, a Prize winning work, etc. One could if he had time to waste, argue and rant about the execution, but not if it's generic or not.

>"From a logical point of view, "generic" would be subjective, not objective, and thus there is no inherent right or wrong when it comes to talking about it. Acting intelligent as a pseudo-intellectual is pretty nice to see."

I'm also glad my pseudo-intellectualism is nice to see btw, I aim to please ;). Especially when I used your definition of generic, and I quote "generic = same shit different day, not bad writing". I showed why it isn't actually the "same shit", you just ranted on how it's done (which I countered) which dosen't void the idea itself, so hence by your actual definition it's not generic. I know, shocking right? But you proceeded to rant on the execution. Oh well.

Also no, if 99% of smthing don't do it, and 1% do so, then that 1% become special. So yes, what I cited above is special.

The only thing we can agree on is that it's well-written and fleshed out, but at least there's that >_>.

And even if you think it's generic, so what? Are we all supposed to make a thread if we don't like a novel?

I don't know if your intentions are genuine or not, but dude this is just toxicity, or spite thread, whatever this is. I may not like MGA for exemple, but I won't go and be like : "MGA sucks". OP : title. Etc.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The Empyrean likes this.
  12. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nepuko, you do realize that you can multi quote stuff instead of typing everything down.

Nepuko and Wujigege like this.
  13. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    I of course didn't type all that lmao. Ctrl+V. And Ctrl+V is faster for me than this quote stuff XD. Especially that it lags when I quote, for some reason. Not the best in a really long comment like that.

mm38910 likes this.
  14. letmeusefilter

Reading List:
    Link
    it's generic

i just realized ur just talking about how he does it, not really arguing against me at all and I got caught up in that
    refer to 1st post ok

@Nepuko
    wasted my time

me: is generic cause of this
    you: no not generic cause er gen do it like this
    me: no still generic because this
    you: ur not talking about generic now ur just explaining how

15. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    "it's generic"
    Lvl 100 comeback lol. :blobwoah: It deserves another lvl 100 comeback : "it's not generic" ;)

Seems like you realized wrong brah, that's not what happened. I gave points on why it isn't, you delved on how he does it, and seeing the OP only has one word and this was the only semblance of a possible conversation, I had to answer. Like, "refer to 1st post", u srs brah. What post lmao.
    And unless someone else was controlling your account, I was arguing against you.

But you do you man. You think it's generic? :*shrugs* Good for you, the purpose of this thread ends.

:blobexpressionless:

16. letmeusefilter

Reading List:
    Link
    my first post was that it's generic (#39)
    then I give list

you say not generic (#40)
    er gen write different

I reply (#41)
    same shit different day, still generic

your reply (#59)
    can't be generic because deep

my reply (#69)
    no it isn't deep really

you: well now you're not talking about whether it's generic or not, just explaining how it is written
    me: ok go back to #39

good god the redundancy of this, shouldn't have bothered with an er gen fanboy
    just because you like his writing doesn't mean it's special
    over

my main point #39 still stands

17. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    Pot calling the kettle black? Learn to read.

@letmeusefilter
    You : it's generic.

Me : It's not because it has all these elements which other Xianxias don't.

You : it's generic cuz Er Gen do it like that.

Me : that's beside the point entirely, you're talking about the how while ignoring the ideas themselves. Also, you have to see where they're different instead of where they're similar, or esle by that logic all works are the same.

You : you wasted my time because you talked about how. It's generic.

Sigh. And in case you didn't know, while the writing wasn't even my main argument, it is one of the factors making a novel special or not.
    Man, I knew arguing with trolls was annoying, but I can't help rediscovering that.

And uh, just saying, if a novel has something that others don't, it means the writing is indeed technically different. You're taking it literally tho, eh.

Aye, keep calling me a fanboy, this thread is clear for everyone to see, how you completely answer beside the point.

I also like how you gave up answering and proceed to directly attack me. Brah chil it's a novel. If it's a wast of time just don't answer, as simple as that.

This is kinda funny tho right now ngl.

The Empyrean likes this.
  18. letmeusefilter

Reading List:
    Link
    I addressed most of the points you gave. If you read through my arguments and could understand them, you would realize that. Apparently, so, from your previous responses, you haven't been able to understand them, and you just rush to your next response.

No matter how flowery Er Gen can put it, or how wordy he can be with it. It fits the basic xianxia mold.

Read in this order if you want to hear how redundant you sound.
    (#39)
    (#40)
    (#41)
    (#59)
    (#69)

Renegade Immortal becomes a generic powerup novel. Come back with some points that I haven't addressed already if you feel otherwise.

19. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean you're parroting the same thing over and over again while answering completely besides the point, what do you expect? To the same question, the same answer. You're repeating the same thing over and over again while ignoring stuff like "fam you gotta see what's not in others instead of what's there" and you expect something different? lol.

"I adressed most of the points you gave"...dude counter-arguments are a thing you know.

The burden of proof is on the one who does the claim you know. I.e you.

With you also ignoring my last long reply to you, that's not very credible. My points 40, 59 and 71 still stand, as you derailed the conversation.

Me : Er Gen works have this, 99% others don't
    You : but he does it like this
    Me : that has nothing to do with the fact that his work have them, 99% others don't, and hence by definition it's not "generic"
    You : it's generic. *proceeds to repeat the same thing*
    Me : Ah shit, here we go again.

But you do you man. Arguing with you is pointless, especially with the strawman fallacy at play.

20. letmeusefilter

Reading List:
    Link
    I addressed your points including counterarguments. Please keep repeating them so I can address them again and again. It becomes painful to see someone so deluded, god damn.

Your last post is just how he goes about being generic. No need to reply when there isn't an argument against my main point.
    Wang Lin is your standard overpowered protagonist with a ton of luck, cliche battle power, bland intimate relationships, and 'extreme talent'. The arcs become repetitive and further emphasizes this as the chapters grow.

All in all, Renegade Immortal is generic.