Replace certain words in an easy way

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aoeraer, May 1, 2019.

1. aoeraer

aoeraer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey.
    One of my biggest squicks reading translated stories, is when some words aren't translated to actual English. E.g, "n" "un" "en" "mn" instead of "yes" or "okay", and other such cases. I usually download the novels in epub or pdf so I can read them offline on my phone. I use calibre to merge chapters to one single ebook.

Does anyone know if there's a way using calibre or some other software to replace for example all the "Mn" with an other word such as "Yes" in a document in a smooth way? I realize that not all "Mn" have the same meaning as "Yes" but I'd rather have some misplaced "Yes'" than getting the impression that characters can't speak properly.

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, I don't know

3. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably not. At the same time, people do express themselves with grunts, groans, and other phosonic(sp?) sounds. I'm not overly bothered by that fact so long as I get the jist of what they are expressing. Lol.

Fallion likes this.
  4. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god, I googled it and found relevant results!

I'd suggest you give those a try before asking here.

5. An annoyance

An annoyance Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure of they're is a way though I know Microsoft word had a 'replace' function that you could use if nothing else. And as a slight side note most forms of media (movies and video games) that have people using a language that isn't their main those people have a tendency to use words from their original language in a normal conversation.

campfire and E Shadow like this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know mate, I mean one of the joys of reading novels are phonetics, those sounds are what makes novels... well, novels.
    Imagine a grunting sound or gnaw in some battle scene, or for example, two people looking at each other with murderous intents with each holding a weapon, and just one of them makes their move attacking the other, someone in the 'peanut gallery' rather than expressing their excitement at the battle scene with 'OOHHH!' at each move or clash, he shouts 'YES!', now I don't know about you mate,but for me that sends the wrong image, it is like that guy is imagining something else in his mind as if he is watching some 'S&M' play and not a battle scene :blobconfused:

7. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ting goes skrrrahh, pap, pap, ka-ka-ka
    Skibiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom
    Skya, du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun
    Poom, poom

8. SaltatorMortis

SaltatorMortis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are using Firefox you clould use FoxReplace
    with this tool you can replace in Browser on page-load or on button click

9. E Shadow

E Shadow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    USE Microsoft Word if you can't find anything handy/easy, it will help you with your requirements. And the good thing is you can always undo it.(btw, you do know how to convert pdf to microsoft file.right)
    And i am honestly advising you to check Google/Youtube instead of here in future. I can't find(not really) a way to describe some things *points above*. They remind of the story of a man who used to get out of his house, stop each hawker passing by and tell him that he did not want to buy his wares and went back,waiting for another one. Rinse and repeat

10. True King Kettle

True King Kettle 『Hundred Paths Conquering Kettle』

Reading List:
    Link
    Open it up with word and use the auto replacer and fix it maybe?