Reposts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Scribblezo8, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scribblezo8

Scribblezo8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a question regarding reposting translations. I just started a wordpress blog to translate some novels that weren't being picked up and decided to give back to the community after almost a decade of being a lurker/leech.

I just started my wordpress 3 days ago and done about ~10 chapter releases and I just found out one of the series I picked up is already getting reposted with no credit back to my blog on a couple of light novel web pages. At the bottom of the repost it states that its been translated at their webpage and to contact them if there is any errors on translations, etc.

I just want advice for a method to better protect my translations and to prevent as much as this repost from happening as much as possible. No, I am not de-motivated and will continue doing my translations just annoyed that the hours I spent is being credited by others.

The series I was talking about is "The Prince Has All Kinds of Strange Hobbies" I just posted the chapter less than 8 hours ago and was just surprised to see reposts on a novel that has been dropped for a long time. Probably bots/aggregators not too sure.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry to tell you, but this is extremely common and there are tons of aggregators that steal the content of actual translators out there. And there isn't much you can do about it.

There are some methods you can try out, but... From what I have seen, they're either.

A) Ineffective.
    B) Super time consuming on your end.
    C) Cause a huge amount of hurdles and troubles to your own readers that might discourage them to keep reading your novel.

If you still wanna try it out, I recommend giving this thread a read: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/measures-for-avoiding-translations-being-stolen.21967/ , but I honestly recommend not doing anything about it.

Best thing you can do is to pretend the thieves don't exist and continue translating without paying any attention to them.

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you can slip in an easter egg somewhere in the top 1/3 of the chapter crediting back to your blog. If they simply cut and pasted the whole thing, people will see that their claims of them translating is at odds with the content credit.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Just don’t do anything. It’s impossible to fight against them, and doing so would drive your readers away.

5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    unless they are posting the updates at NU, we can't do anything about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.