Question (Resolved)Problem understanding RPG stats update for MTL

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Okuri Ookami, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok here is the text I'm confused on - “获得23(敏捷值19+(智力18-10)*0.5)点技能点,生命值提高9点(职业生命6点+(体质15-10)*0.5)。” - He just ranked up his profession to level 2 and for some reason the author made all of his stats gibberish from what I can understand most of it or at least make some sense of it, but I don't know what *0.5 has to do with anything...

I could guess that this is randomly thrown into the story but this is the original publisher and posted by the author themselves, so what's the need to do that? Is this some kind of mathematical problem I don't understand or is the author just jerking readers around with nonsense?

This is the only problem I have, it also just happens to be at the very end of the page before I can release it. I'm literally less than 2 paragraphs from finishing!

2. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, i can't read chinese, but *0.5 should meant his stats increased by 0.5 times thanks to a skill or item
    Edit: and btw, are you sure he isn't level 23? Bcuz i don't see the number 2

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  3. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't '*0.5' mean to multiply by that number?

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  4. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah its level 2 he just reincarnated and he was at the lowest rank, I didn't put the sentence preceding it which is - 盗贼职业提升到2级。- according to my MTL it says thief occupation advanced to level 2.
    You've been a big help I didn't know what *0.5 meant but looking back on it his agility was 19 and intelligence was 18 already so your thoughts should be right!

Now I have to do math in my translations... This will have to go in the footnotes incase I error!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I got out of it he got 23 something (获得23); afterwards it is explained how it was calculated: Agility 19+(Intelligence 18-10)*0.5=23. The same should apply for the other one (which gets rounded up).

Slimikyi, Razorace and Okuri Ookami like this.
  6. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, this math is going to give me a headache. I'm going to have to look back at chapter 2 as well I'm pretty sure it had something similar.

7. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    what novel is?

8. Razorace

Razorace Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Abyss Domination, (no basis to support this other than) since he's been working on that... >_<

Slimikyi, Okuri Ookami and Liyus like this.
  9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Like @Razorace said this is a MTL of Abyss Domination.

Liyus likes this.
  10. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the correct formula is
    Agility 19+[(Intelligence 18-10)*0.5]=23
    since
    19 + [8*0.5] = 19 + 4 = 23

Okuri Ookami and Slimikyi like this.
  11. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    The 0.5 is more likely the way the author created the formula.

As in, the author believes that skill points are granted via your agility and intelligence, which makes sense. For a thief, your skill is agility based and for any skill, you need mana as well as intelligence to execute it. And some skills are magic based. But since it's a thief, intelligence isn't as important, so it's 0.5.

The second one is increasing the health. I think the first part is from the job (+6) and the second half is from physique or constitution.

Also, I'm under the impression that the minus 10 is subtracting the base stats. As in, games start with their characters having base stats of 10 and when you calculate stuff, you want to take that out.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  12. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm impressed by your knowledge of this, I've already posted the chapter I'm just waiting for Tony to approve it, though that's already been a good couple of hours! But what I put in the chapter very closely matched what you put, my guess was that the author invented this formula based on the thief class (idk anything bout the base stats but this story has a subclass and an occupation) and was showing how the growth path would be. The second formulas answer was 8.5 (cortona did the math, as I was lazy) so the 9 came from the author rounding up.

By the way that Blue Slime is freakin awesome, favorite color is blue!

Slimikyi likes this.