Discussion Revenge in xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chiaroscuro, Feb 2, 2016.

?

MC and Revenge

1. GOTTA KILL EM ALL, NAO

2. Revenge is a dish best served cold and with someone else's hand

3. Mc needs to be an elsa and let it go *cue:piano*

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    nah. Its just because most xianxia villain are 2 dimensional. And the author always made up an impossible rediculous ways for the relations of the villain to know that the mc is the killer. If they have brains, then theres many ways to solve problems without killing.

Alvastar and Chiaroscuro like this.
  2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    This. No really. An intelligent MC who plots the downfall of his enemies would be amazing. Like an older, more mature, and craftier Shi Hao.

3. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish to help "Xianxia" clear its name. It's not most, just a bunch that are being translated. There are many without any revenge as main plot, or only as an occasional subplot. And the fact that the ones that revolve around revenge aren't even "heroes". They are part of the cultivating genre more than actual heroes.

Okay, that aside, unless I want a mindless, plotless, serial killer novel that's worse than Freddy or Jason, then nope! I'm only fine with revenge if it's the scheming kind. If revenge is just a motivation, then no. I put it in the same category as waifu being killed/kidnap, so I need to get stronger.

Shio, Alvastar, Poor_Hero and 3 others like this.
  4. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Your Favourite Family Disappointment

Reading List:
    Link
    ah, this will be my dream xianxia
    TDG started like that then MC becomes obnox
    now, as per latest chapter, Jun Moxie of OEM fit the bills, altho from spoiler he also went thru killing spree
    *sigh*

Alvastar, Poor_Hero and Arcturus like this.
  5. Chiaroscuro

Reading List:
    Link
    we walk upon the same dao path, my friend

Arcturus likes this.
  6. Amaelzaekil

Amaelzaekil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge is sweet, and a dish best served cold. So the MC should go stab their greatest enemy with an ice cream cone.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Arcturus and Chiaroscuro like this.
  7. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn't seem to be true. There are a few that are like that but revenge is just a part of it either way. As for my view of revenge, I think it is necessary because otherwise the MC will keep it in his heart for his entire life and it might be and even bigger impediment especially in cultivation since it's Xianxia. What I don't like about these novels isn't the fact that there is revenge, but the fact that many times the MC is forced to take revenge. I don't mind the fact that entire clans or sects are killed for revenge especially in the case where what the clan/sect did to the MC for him to be so driven with revenge is public but those disciples still decide to stay. Many times they stay because they are overconfident and are certain that MC doesn't stand a chance. And then, there's also the principle of 'digging out the roots when cutting weeds' which I completely agree with. In the end, revenge is probably just a good plot device for the plot to move along the way the authors want, there's that sense that MC must become strong to accomplish something and there's at least a reason for which he must become strong so that he can take revenge and so that what happened before won't happen again and afterwards there's that sense of accomplishment too. I don't know, that's just my view on the subject.

Chiaroscuro likes this.
  8. ioriangel

ioriangel 『Terrible Kitsune Oneesan』『Stabber』

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge is a coping mechanism of our psyche, It is important. Whatever the boys scouts tells you, it is necessary. Sometimes people can go on without it if the target is immaterial or out of their reach, but when it isn't the people wanting it can lose focus of what is rational and act upon it. They are also those people who can act with cold calculations and having their revenge and definitely move on. I can agree to revenge when it doesn't engulf innocent bystanders in it. Revenge in Xianxia ? It is glorified too much, as alvastar said it is pointless slaughter sometimes lol. Those who finally take revenge can delight in the empty taste of it after realizing it.

moto, Arcturus and Chiaroscuro like this.
  9. Chiaroscuro

Reading List:
    Link
    hence the thread lol but in xianxia, it can also counted as basic filial duty that if villain kill parents aunts family bff it was insta revenge on the road, and some just straight slaughter without planning and caring the consequences

DarkArts likes this.
  10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see revenge being fine as a beginning motivation to become stronger but then if its just repeated over and over again like this then yeah its gets pretty bad.

11. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    At first it was entertaining, but after reading some more titles, 9 out of 10 there are always obligatory revenges. I guess authors are riding onboard the hype-van.

12. Wildzhen

Wildzhen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you refering to PMG? No at this point PMG has created a seperate category its not even about revenge anymore sigh. I guess the theme of revenge is always present in Xianxia I do not have a problem with it but so far very few novels I have read had a shred of logic in them when it comes to revenge frankly speaking Id rather they get their revenge over with and move on. For so many of them they talk about cultivation to reach higher realm and all but I would think that keeping that hatred in them would ne a huge problem but no author seems to mind it well that might be one of the Laws of Xianxia lol. I guess thats why I like ISSTH a lot more.

13. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, I'm talking about more than PMG. ATG, MGA, ect.

Arcturus likes this.
  14. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why cant we get xainxia villians like this

Arcturus likes this.
  15. NIlsy

NIlsy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Find most of the Xia revenge to action-movie while chuck norris has revenge movies its just a excuse for all the action fights nobody actually remembers the story afterward.
    Suffering is needed for a good revenge without massive suffering there is no real revenge, its like being hungry before eating no hunger (suffering) and no matter how technically skilled prepared the food is, its wasted.

If your not willing to actually let your MC suffer then you cant make a revenge story, it cant be they refuse to let you into the fancy restaurant and you then spend the next 10years tracking down their family and slaughter them to three generations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.