Reverse Rape tag on NU

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Pythagoras Theorem, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 to rape (male/female) initiator
    Or should it be victim? That would cover a wider variety of situations, especially with the number of yaoi and yuri novels. I think maybe it’s should be:

Rape (Male / Female Victim)
    [Male / Female] is forced into non-consensual sexual acts. This does not have to be the main character, but should only be used if the rape is explicit, repetitive, or pivotal to the plot.

Edit: as in, two tags, one Male and one female but otherwise the same. If the MC is a rapist then “Rapist MC” or something.

Pythagoras Theorem and Jeebus like this.
  2. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I added an edit to my last post. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just have 4 tags. "Rape (Male on Female)", "Rape (Male on Male)", "Rape (Female on Female)", and "Rape (Female on Male)". There could be situations where there are different rapes where the instigator and the recipient are different, such that just the initiator and victim tags might not be sufficient.

3. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that’s too many tags tbh. “Rape” is something a lot of people are going to want to exclude when they do searches. Making too specific means there will be a high chance of them missing one.

Edit: this is also what makes me somewhat support just a plain rape tag. It’s all rape. Simple. I don’t think the arguement against having two is necessarily feminist. If it’s a political movement it’d be for male rights ! Hahaha.

I think if we subdivide rape to narrow down searches, that it should be at most 2-3 tags. The biggest thing in literary terms for me is less that it’s traditional meaning or not and more whether it involves the leads or not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was also my concern. I'm just thinking about fringe cases like smut, where you could have the Female MC rape men and men rape the female MC, but what if there's no situation where the female MC raped another female? In that case, if your only fetish is female on female rape, the tags could be construed to falsly imply that there's female on female rape with the "Rape (Female Victim)" and/or "Rape (Female Initiator)" tags.

5. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Search rape + yuri then. Granted, that’s not a garuntee the Mc isn’t raped by a male before or after she starts sleeping with females...

Jeebus likes this.
  6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point. I retract my earlier suggestion.

7. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if we go really specific something like statutory rape is a thing too... I hope that’s not something people have a kink for, but it’s in novels. I mean... underage kids having sex with each other even. Once we start dividing it more and more it can get a little too specific. Combining rape search with other tags to find something specific would be less of a mess imo.

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was considering things from a point of refining searches. If there are more people using the term for exclusion than inclusion, then fewer tags is better. If there are a lot of people searching for rape (Not judging, but I really hope this isn't the case), then more tags could be helpful in creating more granular criteria for improving their searches.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Statutory rape is sex where one is adult and the other is a minor. Sex between minors doesn't count unless there's an adult inciting the kids. Then it's another crime I don't remember the name.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  10. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed. I’ve seen novels where adults (clan elder) encouraged a young girl to use aphrodisiac on a man to force marriage. Vice versa too. They don’t succeed that I’ve ever seen, but it does happen in novels.

I wonder how we would tag Hidden Marriage. Before the start of the story
    a Male and Female were both drugged and ended up sleeping together.

Edit:
    The female lead was drugged by her adoptive sister and left in a room with a man. Undeniably, she was raped and left with child. The Male lead had this happen to him as well. It hasn’t been said but it’s heavily implied that they were placed in the same room by chance. They both don’t know who the person who ‘raped’ them is, or that they were unwilling too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  11. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Hidden Marriage is the reason why the tag Reverse Rape should mean this

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be said to be rape, but also can be said to be only a crime of the third party. Both can be said to have been raped. It was non-consensual. The person who caused it just isn’t the sexual partner. It’s so weird...

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's more along the lines of what I thought it was, too.

In any case, I had another thought. This is something that would probably never be implemented, but what if we had parent tags and child tags? So, we could have "Rape" as a parent tag. If you don't want any rape, you can just exclude that from your search, but under that tag are subtags with more specific rape descriptions (victim, initiator, etc) for those who want to refine their search. It could also help with the BL/Shonen Ai situation where people are mislabeling them. Just put them both under the "Gay Relationships" tag and make "BL" and "Shounen Ai" subtags for that. Same for "Yuri" and "Shoujo Ai" under "Lesbian Relationships". I'm sure it could be used in many other scenarios, too.

Pythagoras Theorem likes this.
  14. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh I agree... Then we can just put things like "smart *insert gender* protagonist" "beautiful *insert gender* protagonist" etc under one *insert gender* protagonist. Only god knows how many of those descriptive protagonist tags do we have.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  15. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it’s time to make a suggestion thread? Hahaha

16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  17. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp I also disagree with the tag because of the same reason that you already pointed out but oh well , everyone has their own opinion and people find it more usual or find it normal to use reverse rape when a female rapes the male ... even if it's kinda incorrect in my head because both female to male and male to female is rape but well double standards and sexism exists . As long as they don't try to shove their way of thinking which I consider wrong (just as they may consider mine wrong) then I won't bother bashing or shoving mine which has more valid points into their head just coz I am bored

18. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    What? If no sides consent then how does rape even happen then???

19. Kyuuketsuki

Kyuuketsuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a joke.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    How does the word 'reverse' when using in the context of 'not normally happen' rape became sexist?

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.