Discussion Review: The Fountainhead

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MangoGuy, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    TLDR: Give it a read but only when you feel like your life is going awesome.

To make it very brief, this is absolutely the novel that I hate the most. I practically hate every little character depicted in this book. Each and every little character, irrespective of the importance to the plot.
    But I have to admit that this is one of the best books I have ever read, because for me, the real character was the city of New York. The real protagonist were the buildings and the emptyness within and without them, much like what Akira meant to me. But Akira is a far more modern work.

I hated every character in this book who tried to change the city; to destroy it. The so called protagonist Howard Roark, who is supposed to be maddeningly in love with buildings... All I see is one man who I hate for trying to change the soul of the city so beautifully portrayed. The very real(and utmostly revolting) antagonist, Elsworth Toohey... I have no real reason to hate him other than his very existence. The Gail Wynards and the Dominique's... Everyone I hate. But no one I can ignore.

Everyone of these people seem to have something in common with me. And I hate that I hate them. That I hate so many somethings in me. And I hate this book for doing this to me... For showing me the uglyness behind the apathy I try to act towards myself. God I hate this book.
    But this sheer amount of hate this thing births in me is enough for me to call this one of the best books I have ever read. A classic? I don't know or care. All I know is that a happy man should read this to turn depressed, and a depressed man should read this to understand why he is depressed.

2. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed the Fountainhead, but much prefer Atlas Shrugged.

animanaicT likes this.
  3. EricBannen

EricBannen √[To Read or Not to Read]

Reading List:
    Link
    Atlas Shrugged had me shrugging for quite a while... Ayan Rand is a selfish, egotistical bitch who became infamous because of her high profile debut in the literary world... Just another high profile mediocrity

4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i never understood why one group got so enamored with Ayan Rand

also fountainhead is just based on a ridiculous premise

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you will be posting these on my blog in the future
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/recruiting-blog-writers-bonus-chapters-subtitles.76557/

6. Dragon Devourer

Dragon Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel only pity for Ayn Rand. Her abject terror of Russian-style Communism led her to embrace an idea of hyper-capitalism that is just as destructive to the individual citizens as Stalin. Literally the stance of someone childishly thinking "This thing hurt me, so the opposite must be good". But like a child, she didn't realize that warm taken to the extreme becomes burning heat and is not any better than freezing cold. A pitiful, scared, scarred being with a flawed worldview and an unenviably broken mind. That said, the toxic mentality and fool-deluding effect of her dogma does make me angry with her a bit, even knowing that the source is her own coping mechanisms.

MangoGuy likes this.
  7. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ITT: people talk about Ayn Rand and Objectivism but know nothing about it. Can't say I'm surprised since that's literally every internet discussion about those topics ever lol.

MangoGuy likes this.
  8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.