Feature Request Reviewer/User's Taste and preferences in novels

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Drawyvern, Mar 22, 2018.

?

Do you trust reviews?

1. Most of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sometimes

22.2%
  3. Never

33.3%
  4. Depends

44.4%
  1. Drawyvern

Drawyvern Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I was looking for something to read by looking at the genre tags and later looking at the reviews. I noticed that there can be very polarizing reviews for the same novel by different people. It mostly seemed that it was due to the different tastes of people causing polarizing views. Like some people love fast paced bloody OP MCs while others may like slow paced smart MCs which may conflict each other, so the former may say the novel is too slow and giving a one star and the latter might love it and giving it a five star. So they base it on their taste to write the review which is not wrong.

Therefore, I want to suggest that reviewers or any users can have a place to state their tastes and preferences for novels to the public. So that others can see if they can relate to the user/reviewer to better understand and trust the review. On a side note, users will be able to find relatable people easier through finding similar "tastes and preferences":blobhighfive:.Through that they can find novels they like easier by looking at people's reading lists with similar tastes and preferences.

For example, in the "tastes and preferences" can be the following
    TLDR I want to suggest that reviewers or any users can have a place to state their tastes and preferences for novels to the public.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm you mean similar with MAL profile thing?
    click da user name then info lead to
    hello I'm cat
    I like slow poke cute story with snusnu

but there nuf although NU and nuf name may different(maybe)

╮(╯▽╰)╭
    imo not important enuf~

3. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I think NUF is the best place for that. If you find a reviewer you find yourself agreeing with often, you can click “more reviews” and find other things they like. Additionally, some people make their reading list public on NUF. You can check their profiles and see your reading list compatibility as a percentage.

4. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    I do that and I guess my suggestion would be more of a quality of life improvement. As looking through previous reviews can be tiring or not possible. While comparing reading list by percentage is probably the best bet but one may have read it and not necessarily loved it so there is still that difference.

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have a “banned” list hahahahaha
    It’d be cool if suggestions were generated based off ones you and others with high compatibility rated well.

Drawyvern and Blitz like this.
  6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Essentially, you want bios or something like that. It is a good idea, like I click on more reviews by this user and in addition to the rescue is also get to see their bio describing their preference.
    But will people care to do it?

Drawyvern likes this.
  7. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Bias?

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Bio...? Like a twitter bio...a bio-data offer something?

9. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhhhh
    For some reason I was reading it as BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which is said differently. It all makes sense now!

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what happens when a technologically impaired guy like me tries to hold a conversation with a tech guy...

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    *pat pat*
    It would make perfect sense aloud.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya something like that maybe. People could find others with the same taste faster which could be an incentive to do it. Plus you can rant about what you hate and if they really implemented it they could give a trophy or nuffies or something of that sort to entice them to do it. :aww:

13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, not the rant. I am talking about a bio with 3 lines of their fav novels, that's it.

But, if you only want to read stories of a particular kind based on common preferences, don't expect Tony to do it. At least, for that reason. NU will always try to not limit your reading, and you will have to work hard to maintain your limited reading list.

14. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    3 lines rant !!(JK)
    But I am just suggesting this in hopes that I can know others preferences so I do not get mislead by a overly bias review and everything else is just a plus.

MangoGuy likes this.