Discussion Reviews

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mikey, May 10, 2016.

1. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there is only one important thing when I look for a novel
    RELEASE FREQUENZY

AHKoT and Llamia like this.
  2. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it would be best if there's a set of parameters when it comes to posting reviews. For example, why you recommend this review and why you don't like it. Moreover, the characters or text should be limited to a certain amount. This way we avoid those long and unnecessary reviews. Just keep things simple. NUF members and NU readers are smart anyways.

Moreover, it would also be a good idea to allow reviews only if the novel has reached at least 10 to 20 chapters. Or a eligibility system that allows certain members to post reviews only after meeting certain requirements.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll miss a hell of a lot of good novel series if you only read the most frequently updated ones... Sadly, many good series have been dropped relatively early in their translation, or only get updates once a month or less. Regardless, though, a good story is a good story. Even the first few chapters can be entertaining enough to spend the time to read.

NekoMK2 likes this.
  4. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you think that is bad...

there are people who never read 1 chapter and still wrote a review out of the synopsis and other reviews... LOL
    I'm telling you, stupid people are abundant in this planet. Just because they can use the computer, it doesnt make them smart.. and stupid is forever.

Just go on with our life and let it be.
    :D

PS: Oh and I do agree with the like or dislike buttons for reviews.

5. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want "unbiased" reviews start a literary journal. Good news for all you whiners is that a review system update is coming out soonish. I frankly think reviews are fine the way they are. If I were Tony, I wouldn't do much except for some sorting features. Luckily for you guys, I'm not the owner of NU.

Fact of the matter is, reviews are only as good as a person writing them and the person interpreting them. For instance:
    Review A: "This novel sucks like hell. The MC is wuss. 2/5"
    Review B: "Great! Very funny. 5/5"​
    Some of you may complain these reviews don't explain anything, but it gives you just enough information to get an idea of what the novel is about. Review A suggests that the novel perhaps may not be enjoyable and that perhaps the MC is a passive type. But the novel is not so bad that the person would rate it a 1. Review B suggests that the comedy is highlight of the novel.

If you need a full essay reviews on light novels, go to MAL and enjoy your long ass essays that take 2 paragraphs to explain one point.

The only time a review would be something I consider invalid is if the review is giving blatantly wrong information (and not stuff that may have been confusing in the novel, which suggests poor writing on the part of the author).

Mikey, cinabre, makenai89 and 5 others like this.
  6. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    I had even seen someone rate the novel 1/5 just because the translator is slow :V

7. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i remember one I just read one that said the novel had too much war so they gave it a 1 out of 5

...this was in hail the king which is a combo of "fantasy otherworld transport cheat" and "military nation conquest" honestly its rather mediocre but to give a 1 because you don't like war is just... i mean come on are you gonna give desolate era a 1 because you don't like swords? Or maybe terror infinity gets a 1 because you dont like the mummy ...seems fair.

NekoMK2, AHKoT, Llamia and 1 other person like this.
  8. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I just don't want ridiculous reviews. That's all. Like for instance translations are slow or there's rape or the MC is another knockoff of another MC or there's a lot of cultivation and then you give it 1 or 2 star. LAME reasons for reviews sucks.

Mikey and AHKoT like this.
  9. conspible

conspible Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done it before too, but there is also some reviews just for the sake of putting a review (ie: rushed, one sentence, review on c0). I also don't like that we're able to review before a series has even had more than 10 chapters, and even then that is kind of cutting it close.

AHKoT likes this.
  10. AHKoT

Reading List:
    Link
    No matter how good a story is, I'll never read them if they were dropped. Trust me it'll leave a bad after taste and make me crave for more

conspible likes this.
  11. Ahrt

Ahrt PhD in Pokemon Studies

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay the only thing I hate reviews I'd when people think they're the same as 'initial reactions'.

"uhh me see NTR tug giff one sturr"

It is starting to get me. The internet and its opinions used matter more.

So much trash feedback.

Make reaction and reviews separate.

Maybe add stars for both since people seem to like ratings.

P.S.
    Adding features can either be simple or a nightmare. It's gonna be a nightmare if this site was somehow rushed.

conspible likes this.
  12. conspible

conspible Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It hurts even more when you don't even realize they've been dropped, one day you check your reading list to check if you just missed an update and it turns out that it hasn't been updated in a few months...

13. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    It will hurt! .. but you can still enjoy what you read. Give in to your inner M.

14. AHKoT

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah there was a time when I was trying to catch up to the translated chapter and when I finally caught up the translator suddenly said that he will drop it. I feel like crying

conspible likes this.
  15. fggt4lyfe

fggt4lyfe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews are always going to be subjective no matter what. The only difference between the Novel Update's review system and other review systems is that you can't downvote or upvote reviews. And even then, the downvote/upvote system would probably favor people who strongly like or dislike a series. I just look at reviews and see what points they bring up and whether the review takes in multiple aspects of a series (showing that the reviewer actually read the series and put thought into why they rated the series the way they did) or focuses on a single aspect for the review (showing that the reviewer can only think of this one aspect when rating the series and that all other aspects of series were ignored by the reviewer). This isn't always the case but that's what I've seen a lot of on this site and I think it's acceptable since s a review system can never be perfect and will always be subjective.

Westeller likes this.
  16. AHKoT

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more of a S though

Westeller likes this.
  17. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's only 21
    Ah, actually only Tony deals with reviews. we mods don't handle that. At most we can approve release requests. >_>

18. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone already make this thread eh
    Well in my opinion will review can be a subjective it's still need a objective point of view, more over to give a review for only 1-3 chapter release is kinda outrageous since some novel might be have slow start. Other thing like @coveted said above about people said translators slow or there rape etc. It's fine if only giving that as warning but as for whole review kinda....

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Upvote/downvote will be available soonish. Btw @Tony is there gonna be a threshold like Reddit for reviews? Get enough downvotes and it disappears?

Also, guys. If reviews are horrid and complete bullsh*t, report them. Click on the timestamp next to the review, copy the link, go to your profile and report it.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    AHKoT likes this.
  20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoops. Hopefully Tony won't read this and realize there's more work he could shove on you.

(@Tony @Tony @Tony)