Novel Rise of Edwin Von William Highland

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by hitori kanoko, Sep 26, 2020.

1. hitori kanoko

hitori kanoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 35 The Four Clans

Queen Maureen looked on as the spirit plane landed on her island. She was truly shocked when she saw it flying in the sky and almost assumed it to be a monster until Count Paolo explained what it was.

Humans can now fly in the sky? Tch… I won’t be surprised if this king of highland tries to look down on me.

From the spirit plane, Edwin walked out with Margarita close by. They both wore their spirit armor just in case things turned out for the worst.

Members of ghosting were also on standby just in case something happened.

Edwin while nervous inside approached the queen of the lamina's. She stood tall and looked down on the man whom Duchess Rania had agreed to become the concubine of.

She still couldn’t believe it. That duchess had taken lovers from influential families in the past but never married into another house. In all cases where a marriage did happen which was so rarer you can count it on one hand; they married into her house and took her last name as their own.

Now, that same duchess not only married into another house but agreed to hold the lowest position of concubine.

That didn’t make sense to her, but she didn’t have time to ponder that right now.

“I am Queen Maureen. Queen of lamina's and acting representative of the four clans.”

“It is an honor to meet you. I am King Edwin Von William Highland.” He answered her

“Then let’s get down to business. The sight of humans makes me ill. Why have you come here?”

“Getting straight to the point? Alright then, I am hoping to ally with the four clans.”

“An alliance you say. I take it that the humans are losing the war against the demons?”

“Highland is not partaking in the war; so I am unable to answer that question, however, I assure you that my kingdom will not lose to anyone.”

That was a bold statement he made and Queen Maureen knew it. Highland not too long ago was nothing more than a small kingdom with large land. That much she knew herself from the little info they obtained from fishermen.

However, that kingdom has changed into a powerhouse and has begun to throw its weight around.

In that case, wouldn’t it benefit us to use that to our advantage?

“Is that so? In any case, we have nothing to offer such a powerful kingdom, yet you seek an alliance with us? What are you expecting we offer?”

Although she was asking, there was only one reason a human would seek out the four clans out.

“I wish for a military alliance in which you join forces with me.”

“Don’t bullshit us… Do we look like mercenaries to you? You plan on using us then throwing us away. Filthy human!”

It was Queen Maureen’s daughter Cecelia who spat those words at Edwin.

“Cecelia! That is no way to talk to royalty! If you cannot act in a manner befitting your position then you will have to leave at once!”

“Your majesty!”

“Call me mother dam it and I will not hear any back talking you hear me!?”

“Yes…” she answered while lowering her head.

“My apologies for my daughters’ outburst earlier.” She said to Edwin without any hint of remorse, however, Edwin was not insulted by it.

He, Prime Clark Minister Herman, and Queen of the Fairies Madeline was expecting such tactics.

The aim of Queen Maureen was simple, milk as much as they could from Highland without promising anything in return.

A kind of ‘Win our Trust’ strategy.

By playing the ‘humans are untrustworthy’ card. She wanted to have Highland send as many goods as they could to the four clans on islands. As it stood they lucked everything, from clothing, foodstuffs, weapons, and tools.

If Edwin wanted to form an alliance he would need to folk over those things, is the impression she wanted to give, and when all was said and done she would turn down the offer.

Edwin was a human and worse, a human who was in an alliance with the merfolk, and even worse the husband of Duchess Rania Teresa Alumet Vidfamne,

This was a classic case of strike one, two, three you're out!

Queen Maureen had no intention of joining an alliance with him.

She looked down on Edwin, waiting for his reply.

He had two choices, take the bait and folk over what she wanted or return to highland in failure.

Which one will you choose?

As Queen Maureen thought that Edwin was also trouble by how accurate their prediction was.

As it stood everything was well within the prediction of him and the Queen of the fairies.

Now it was time to enter the unknown waters of his reply.

The reply they came up with was so shocking that both Hitomi and Eve who should have been by his side as members of ghosting and the royal maids respectively; had to be captured and chained in the dungeons.

While Prime Clark Minister Herman and Queen Madeline understood their anger, Edwin himself did not.

They both could only sigh at his dense attitude.

To him, the solution had merits and that’s all that mattered.

“I see. I understand where you are coming from. In that case, why don’t we marry then?

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!”

[​IMG]

Itadori159 likes this.
  2. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 36 Wait a Minute

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

That was the first thing that came out of Queen Maureen and all the members of the four clans.

“What do you mean marriage?”

“I am talking about you and me marrying, as a sign of unity and trust…”

“That is not what I am asking… Why would you even suggest that we do such a thing?”

“The reason you won’t accept the alliance is that you don’t trust us, right? Then a marriage between the house of Highland and the Queen of the lamina's will surely ease any doubts about the alliance.”

Is he crazy? Or are the humans that desperate? No, this is something else…

“King Edwin Von…”

“Just Edwin is fine..”

“…Ah …Umm …Edwin”

“Yes…”

Why do feel like blushing? Calm down… he's just a human...

/* Cough-Cough

“Edwin, Let us suppose we marry. What exactly will that entail?”

She took the bait… Now to finish the deal.

“As you may be aware… Highland went through a civil war and I am the last remaining member of the royal family. As such, I need to expand the royal family.”

“But I am unable to have children with humans…”

“Ah… I am not expecting us to have any. I will be taking other wives after all. Among which, will be the main wife.”

“Then what am I?”

“If we wed, I would like to add this island to the territory of my kingdom, with you as the duchess of this land. Naturally, as a duchess, you will be in charge of the land and its people, and you will be allowed to choose your successor.”

“I still see no benefit for me and my people. All I see is you claiming more land for yourself.”

“Like I said. You will be in charge of the island.”

“Stop beating the bush… What exactly are you offering?”

It was understandable that she did understand the significance of Edwin’s words. Even if you call her Queen, unlike the woman she admired, she was no politician and couldn’t easily see the underlined message in a sentence.

“Your majesty may I speak?” it was Count Paolo Vanderburgh who asked the question, but he was not directing it to his king but to the queen of the lamina's

“Very well…”

“Thank you for your generosity. Now then your majesty if I may ask, who rules the people on this island?”

“I do”

“And if you were to wed the king over there, who would rule over the people?”

“According to him, I will be in charge.”

“Yes. According to him… This means, at the end of the day, he is their ruler and you govern them in his place.”

She frowned at his words and Cecelia glared at Edwin.

Being ruled by a human was an unacceptable situation. Some lamina's even began taking a fighting stance.

But before the Queen could angrily voice her complaint, Paolo concluded, “Which would make them citizens of Highland and entitled to all the benefits that come with that, including trade and travel to the mainland.”

It was then that she understood what Edwin was offering. The four clans had been stuck on those four islands forever. Bringing her island under the territory of Highland, it would make her people citizens of the main continent again. They would be able to leave the island for the more livable continent.

This is what you would call a loophole.

Such an offer could not be taken lightly. There was still the issue of trust but her instincts told her that Edwin was serious. Furthermore, the look that the members of the four clans received from humans was either that of fear or disgust, but she didn’t feel any of that from Edwin or those who accompanied him.

That was probably because Highland was a diverse kingdom with humans and demi-humans living side by side.

Their human population was used to such things and wouldn’t bat an eyelid to the four clans.

“What of the other three clans?” she asked

Edwin only gave a puzzled look before speaking, “Aren’t they, your people as well? I heard in reports that the lamina's provide food and other necessities to the other clans and you introduced yourself as their representative. Doesn’t this mean that they are your people?”

Queen Maureen could only sigh within herself. They really thought this out huh?

“Very well, if you will wait here for a moment. I will discuss this with my other clan heads.”

“I will wait for a positive reply.” He said cheerfully

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Itadori159 likes this.
  3. shuyangz82

shuyangz82 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love your book. It's wonderful! I really want your novel release on our NovelPotaota platform to let more people read it. Our platform needs new blood. Especially, this kind of style. If you have any interests, you can send me a mail at Fiona @ novelpotato. com

4. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 37

While Edwin was cheerfully waiting for a positive reply from Queen Maureen. His concubine Duchess Rania Teresa Alumet Vidfamne was having a hard time on her end.

Upon arriving at the border city in Highland, everything seemed normal. However, when she went inland it all changed. Spirit trains, spirit TVs, amazing food she had never seen before, among which cakes and sweets that she and Shelley Lancaster fell in love with.

High-rise buildings, beast-less carriages, long smooth black roads were among the many things that caught her attention.

She could hardly believe what she was experiencing.

Shelley Lancaster was even more amazed.

“This a dream, right duchess? This can’t be real. This place is like heaven.”

“This is a nightmare…”

“Eh… How could you say such a thing?”

“Don’t you get it, if we don’t get Highland to trade with us, we will become nothing more than some backwaters village compared to them...”

Vidfamne was a kingdom whose cities would not fall far behind that of the empires but compared to Highland, even the empire's cities look like slums in her eyes.

The guilds were explaining everything they could as she asked question after question.

Although she was a concubine, Edwin had no official wife, therefore Duchess Rania Teresa was being treated with the highest respect. However, she knew that once a wife was chosen and if she remained nothing more than a concubine, that treatment would not continue. That is just how it worked in the lives of the nobility.

“Commoners have water in their houses, education, and health care at affordable prices. The empires would have a heart attack if they saw what Highland had become.”

“Agreed. This place is like a fantasy come true. Furthermore, the abolition of slavery… I can’t believe there is a place that actually did such a thing.”

Having been a former slave herself, Shelley Lancaster couldn’t help but hate slavery, however, the duchess couldn’t do such a thing as abolish it as traders would cause an uproar.

Highland that had cut off trades with its neighbors and did not need to worry about such matters.

As they both stared at the passing scenery as they looked out the window of the spirit train, Duchess Rania Teresa prayed with all her heart that things would work out with Highland.

“I see. So the hero has demon blood in him.”

“Yes. Shelley here confirmed this with her own eyes.”

Duchess Rania Teresa Alumet Vidfamne and Shelley Lancaster had arrived at the Highland castle and were having a meeting with Queen Madeline and Prime Minister Clark Herman

“This is a troubling development,” Clark uttered

“We believe that the Hero and elves might be trying to lead the gathered force to a one-sided defeat.” Duchess Rania Teresa concluded. This was based on all the information she had gathered on their movements as well as her own intuition and it was spot on. “What do we do know?”

“We have to wait for his majesty to return from the island of the laminas before proceeding with anything.”

“What did you say?”

“Ah… We never informed Vidfamne of this but his majesty seeks to bring the four clans under Highland.”

“How does he intend to do such a thing? The four clans would never agree to such a thing…”

“He intends to take the Queen of the laminas as a wife.” Queen Madeline butted in.

“EEEEEEEEHHH” both Duchess Rania Teresa and Shelley Lancaster cried out loud.

“Is that even possible?” Shelley asked

“It is. First of all, Edwin is the last survivor of the Highland royal blood, so, understandably, he would take multiple wives.”

“But she can’t have children.”

“It doesn’t matter. The whole point of this union is to allow the four clans the right to return to the continent in exchange for them adding their fighting power to Highlands. Child making has nothing to do with it.”

“It can’t be.” Duchess Rania Teresa said with a pale expression on her face.

“Duchess…” Shelley cried out as she went to her duchess side.

“Rest assured duchess. Edwin will ensure the safety of…”

“That is not the reason she is pale, Prime Minister Clerk.”

“It’s not?” he asked the queen who corrected his assumptions

“I always told you that you overthink things sometimes, didn’t I Rania-chan. You always thought that if you had enough influence you could persuade the other powerful kingdoms to allow the four clans to return. You never considered the possibility of a loophole such as marriage…. Hmm… Maybe you did?”

“There was no royalty that was willing to accept such an arrangement?” she replied with her head downcast.

“I see. You never asked Highland.”

Duchess Rania Teresa had indeed pursued such an arrangement but no royalty was willing to take a member of the four clans as a wife. This was only natural as such an arrangement would most likely be opposed by the nobles and the citizens, but Highland would have been the exception.

The citizens were a mixture of demi-humans and humans who lived together. The number of human and demi marriages was higher than the number of human to human and demi to demi marriages. That just showed how much the two groups interacted.

The only obstacle would have been the nobles who hated the royal family but with her level of influence and power, it would not have been hard for her to aid the highland royal family into silencing them.

Realizing this Duchess Rania Teresa could only hang her head. Had she not looked down on Highland, she could have resolved the issue that tormented her mind all these years.

“Rania! Prepare yourself… I am sending you to the laminas island immediately…” Queen Madeline uttered with a serious expression.

“What! Why? Has something happened there?” Prime Minister Clark Herman asked with a troubled expression

“It seems the demons are making another move.”

Itadori159 likes this.
  5. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 38

30 Minutes earlier.

Edwin was waiting outside as the four clan heads discussed what to do.

“What do you all think?” Queen Maureen asked the other three.

“Hmm… It sounds too good to be true, but I felt no falsehood in his words.”

The first to speak was the leader of the medusas. Medusas were very good at detecting lies from people as they could sense the slightest change in temperature and heart rate. A tale-tale sign of a liar.

“If what you say is true, then this is an opportunity for us to return to civilization.”

The next speaker was the leader of the ghouls.

Ghouls were the closest of the four to human-like appearance. Except for glowing eyes and tattoos on their foreheads and hands. Ghouls would often go weeks without sleep and because of this, humans sometimes called them undead. However, they were living beings like any other.

“If that is the case. Then I say we should take the chance. Unlike you three, it is next to impossible for us harpies to catch seafood and the island we live on has no eatable plant life. If it is possible, I would like for us to return to the mainland, but the decision at the end of the day is yours, Queen Maureen.”

The last to speak was the leader of the harpies. Harpies had a human body with wings and feet of a bird.

In the past, they relied on humans to build their cities and create easy tools to use. In exchange, harpies were used to carry messages and parcels across the continent.

That role might be null and void thanks to the spirit phone, however, just as the laminas were unmatched underwater, the harpies were unmatched in the sky.

Edwin was not going to overlook that fact and there were instances where the spirit phone and plane could prove useless.

If you needed to send a letter to someone living in a dense forest for example. Having a harpy who prove ideal, as they can hover and fly over the forest more easily than the spirit plane and those was under normal conditions. Add to that a spirit stone and the potential is probably unimaginable.

“Hmm…” Queen Maureen uttered, “It is indeed a tempting offer and I too feel no falsehood in his words.”

“But!?” the leader of the ghouls asked

“No buts. I was just wondering if our people are ready for this. Ready to return home?”

“Unlike you three, we harpies have already lost everyone who was alive then. All we have known is the island we were raised. The very idea of leaving it feels scary, but I see no future for us there.

“…”

“…”

“I understand your feeling. Then if there are no objections, I will accept the human's proposal.”

They all nodded to Queen Maureen's words. It was settled. The four clans would join Highland with a marriage between Queen Maureen and Edwin.

It was at that moment that a clap echoed in the cave. Queen Maureen took a fighting stance as a girl appeared from the shadows.

I didn’t feel her presence. Did she hide it? More importantly, with those black wings... she isn't human.

The girl had smooth pale skin with red eyes and short blond hair. Her face was cute but that didn’t change the fact that it gave off an unpleasant feeling.

[​IMG]

“Who are you? Identify yourself” Queen Maureen shouted. Her shout attracted the guards who were outside as they came rushing in.

“I am truth. Sister of lies and servant of abyss king Hellion-sama”

Abyss King? Does that mean she is a Demon?

“What is your purpose here?”

“I bring the truth.”

“Truth?”

“Yes… The humans are lying to you. They will turn you into slaves if you accept the offer that human has brought you. You should reject it at once.”

“Are the demons offering a better deal?”

“Yes… We are. Land, riches, and anything else you desire. It will all be provided for. You only need to ask for it.” She answered with a smile

“Hmm…”

“She is lying.” The one who uttered those words was the leader of the medusas. “There is no truth in her words.”

Truth may not have been human, but it seemed that even she couldn't deceive a medusa, much to her surprise.

“Oh my… And here I thought that only my sister could tell my truths from lies. You are an interesting snake-haired girl.”

“Enough” Queen Maureen shouted, “Leave now, or else.”

“Now-Now, no need to be so forceful. After all, < Truth: I am not your enemy >

When Queen Maureen heard that, she lowered her spear weapon. The guards who rushed in also lowered their weapons.

< Truth: Your enemies are outside this cave >

< Truth: You want to kill them all >

< Truth: You will kill them all >

Truth watched as Queen Maureen and the others left the cave with Ecstasy on her face.

This is going to be so much fun. I will kill the humans who came here. Hellion-sama will praise me. And with Ermengarde’s blunder in Vidfamne, my lord’s place among the abyss kings will rise.

She thought to herself.

Outside the cave, Edwin looked on as Queen Maureen returned but he had an uneasy feeling about the way she was staring at him.

Have they decided to turn down my offer?

It was while he was thinking that when Margarita stood in front of him and unsheathed her sword.

“Human? What are you doing?” Cecelia shouted

“Protecting my king and I suggest you protect your people as well.”

“Eh…” Cecelia uttered before her mother roared loudly

Itadori159 likes this.
  6. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 39 Fate and Frienship 3

Queen Maureen’s roar echoed throughout the island and stroked fear in everyone weak to intimidation.

“Mother! What are you doing?” Cecelia shouted in shock.

Queen Maureen and the others, violently began to attack the others as Cecelia stood in shock.

“Ghosting, protect the civilians,” Edwin commanded

One by one the members of ghosting appeared and whisked the civilians to safety.

What next? She is attacking both friend and foe but why?

As Edwin thought that, Queen Madeline voice echoed in his head

They seem to be under some kind of mind control

Like what Duchess Rania can do?

No. This is on a whole new level? However, I suspect that it is not strong enough to affect you or anyone in spirit armor

That is reassuring, however, we have to stop them without hurting them.

The holy armor might do the trick

I thought we didn’t have anyone compatible with it.

We do now, thanks to you. I will be sending them over.

Thanks to me? What do you mean?

You will see. More importantly, the mastermind must be in the cave

Right.

“Margarita. The mastermind must be in the cave. Capture them if you can. If you can’t, then kill them.”

“Understood.” She replied before speeding off to the cave.

Edwin watched her dash off before his attention turned elsewhere by a sudden shout.

“Mother please stop!”

Cecelia was trying to stop her mother who was now running wildly.

Edwin had to rescue her before Queen Maureen’s spear went through her

“Let me go. I have to save her!”

“There is nothing you can do. She is under some kind of mind control.”

“Mind control?”

“That's right. The culprit is in the caves. I sent my subordinate to investigate. We also have someone on route, who might be able to stop her, without hurting her.”

“Who?”

Just then a flash of light fell from the sky with a thunderous sound. From the rising smoke, Duchess Rania appeared. She wore a special amour Edwin and Queen Madeline had created.

It was silver in color and had three spirit crystals infused. The holy amour. It was designed to counter large status effect attacks like sleeping spells, poison spells, and confusion spells, however, no one was able to weld this amour until now.

“Long time, long see. Maureen.”

“Rania!!!” Maureen roared.

“I will have you, return to your sanity now. < Holy Heal >

She activated her skill and a blinding light covered the entire island.

“Umm… What was I doing?”

“How did I get here?”

“My wounds are healed.”

Many people were healed from their injuries and those who were mind-controlled recovered their sanity, however.”

“Tch…” Duchess Rania uttered those words as she narrowly escaped an attack.

“It didn’t work on her? or has the mind control been recast?” Edwin asked.

He like Cecelia and everyone else was puzzled by Queen Maureen's violent attack. It was more powerful than the one she was using before. No. Even to the warriors, she fought alongside for many years, that attack surpassed anything they have ever seen her do.

The only person who understood what was going on was Duchess Rania.

“That is not it! She has activated her berserker skill.”

“What did you say?” Cecelia uttered in disbelief, “Mother had such a skill?”

“She does. In this state, she will attack anything that moves, although, it looks she is hell-bent on me.”

“Raniaaaaaa…” Maureen roared

“Yes, old friend.” she replied calmly

“Rania!” Maureen roared again before thrusting her spear at Rania who blocked it with a waterfall shield.

This surprised Maureen.

"I am not as weak, as I was before. I have grown Maureen. Today, lets settle this once and for all.”

Edwin could feel the power surge between the two.

Oi… Oi… It is too dangerous to be near them.

“Princess Cecelia!”

“I know. It is shameful for me to ask this, but please… Save my people.”

“Understood… Paolo…”

“You called, your majesty”

“We are evacuating everyone on the island.”

“Understood…”

The evacuation began as duchess Rania and Queen Maureen stared each other down.

This was not going to be a battle about power or wealth, nor was it going to be a battle about pride and honor.

It was a battle brought about by fate and friendship.

Itadori159 likes this.
  7. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 40 : fate and frienship 4

At the time the four clans were being banished from the mainland. The leader of the Merfolks and the Lamina met.

“Why won’t you come with us?”

“We are not the ones that were banished. There is no reason for us to do so.”

“Rania!”

“I have made my decision Maureen, and it is a decision that many of my people have chosen to respect. No merfolk will follow the laminas”

Queen Maureen was visibly upset. Her ally and most trusted friend was betraying the trust she had for her.

“How could you? How could your merfolks abound us like this? We will never forgive this treason.”

As Duchess Rania saw her friend vanish into the waters she thought,

I am sorry Maureen but we will only be a burden on you.

Merfolks were not got at combat or surviving in harsh conditions. Duchess Rania had calculated that the laminas would most likely end up supporting the other three clans. If the merfolks were to follow, they would only add to their burden.

Had she told Queen Maureen that, she would most likely stubbornly deny it. That is why Rania didn’t.

The other reason she opted to stay was her belief that someday, she will be able to find a way for the four clans to return.

She spent years building up Vidfamne. Using her own children to make connections with powerful merchants, nobles, and royalty.

It was never to be, however.

A war between Vidfamne and the laminas made the situation even more complicated.

Duchess Rania was troubled by situation. So troubled, that she never realized that a solution already existed. Highland.

Marriage between the royalty of Highland and the Lamina queen could have solved it all.

She was currently cursing herself for not realizing it before, but now was not the time for that. Another opportunity had presented itself and she was not going to let it pass.

Naturally, it was the warrior Queen Maureen who made the first move. She even moved faster than she did before.

A trait of the berserker skill is continued growth in power and speed as time passes.

Duchess Rania knew that simply blocking the attack was not going to go well, “< water flow movement >

She invoked the water flow movement skill that allowed her to not only move swiftly but nimbly too.

She dogged Maureen jabs and thrusts but as time went on this became harder and harder to do.

< water flow parry >

The next skill she invoked allowed her to parry the spears thrust with her hands which were now covered in flowing water, however, Queen Maureen wasn’t the leader of the laminas for nothing.

While the duchess was preoccupied with her spears, she lashed out her tail and caught her off-guard.

Duchess Rania was smacked backward but she managed to stabilize herself self-thanks to the water flow movement skill.

She coughed out blood before dogging Maureen’s next attack.

Onboard the spirit plane, Edwin watched the battle with Princess Cecelia by his side.

“I never knew my mother was that strong.”

Too strong if you as me. Edwin thought, Should I head down and help the duchess?

Don’t

Queen Madeline? Why not?

This is a battle between those two. You have to let it play out.

Do they have a history with one another?

They do. That is why you shouldn’t interfere.

Hmm… But at this rate won’t the duchess lose?

Maybe, but from what I can tell, she is waiting for something.

Something?

Just then a gust of wind shock the spirit plane. When Edwin looked down he saw a bright red glow covering Queen Maureen.

“You have finally reached your critical state.”

“Raniaaaa”

“If you were back to your senses you would be full of confidence, however, I too was waiting for this.”

< Empress Water Dragon >

The waters around the island rose and created a giant wall around the island. The duchess flew in the air, leaving behind Queen Maureen. However, she wasn’t fleeing.

This was an improved version of her < water dragon > attack.

From the giant water-wall, a large sea dragon emerged. It roared before the duchess landed on its head.

[​IMG]

“You critical state grants you tremendous power, but it comes at the cost of defense. I have waited for this one chance to hit you with all that I have!”

The sea dragon roared before charging directly at Queen Maureen. She in turn concentrated all her power on her right fist.

She is going to take that head-on? Edwin thought

The two opposing forces clashed. A powerful shock-wave followed their impact and the spirit plane shook.

“What happened? Where is my mother?”

Cecelia was the first to regain her balance, she searched through the cloud of white fog that now covered the island.

When it cleared, Duchess Rania stood over and unconscious Queen Maureen.

She was out of breath and barely standing herself…

Did she win? Edwin asked himself,

Duchess Rania looked down on her former friend.

“You have grown strong Maureen… I hope we can be friends again…” she uttered before passing out herself.

“Send someone to their aid at once!” Edwin commanded

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Mother!” Cecelia sobbed

“It will be alright. I am sure your mother is just fine. Highland has the best healers around, nothing bad will happen to her. I promise.” He said as he comforted Cecelia.

Now then... Wait… I haven’t heard from Margarita yet… What is taking her so long…

Inside the cave, Margarita had run into, a battle was coming to a close.

“Hmm… Looks like the battle outside has ended… Sorry, but I can't afford to play with you anymore. < I will kill you now: Truth >

Itadori159 likes this.
  8. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 41: Truth vs Margarita

When Margarita entered the cave she felt a sinister presence hidden within. She carefully approached it while watching her surroundings.

There was always the chance that others hide in the shadows.

“Ho my… Who might you be?” A voice called out to her

She saw a girl with smooth pale skin. She had one pink eye, while the other was red. Her blond hair was long. If it wasn’t for the sinister vibe she was giving off. Margarita may have had the urge to call her cute.

“I am Margarita Prigent. I serve the king of Highland, Edwin Von William Highland.”

“I see… I am truth. Sister of lies and servant of abyss king Hellion-sama”

Hellion?

That was a name she hadn’t heard before.

“Does this Hellion work with the abyss king Ermengarde?”

“Unfortunately yes. The demon king saw it fit to make her leader of the abyss kings that invaded your continent.” She replied before sighing. “However, that will change today. If I can bring proper results, then Hellion-sama will surely be placed higher than that bitch…”

They don’t get along?

“Now then. < Lower your weapon. I am not an enemy: Truth >

“Why would I lower my weapon? And you are clearly an enemy…” she replied with a puzzled look

“It didn’t work? That can’t be! This is the power Hellion-sama saw fit to give me. How can this be? You… You! Are coming with me.”

“Funny… That’s my line.”

With those words, their battle began. Truth made the first move. She used her speed to her advantage and aimed to hit Margarita with her right fist but Margarita saw it coming.

She leaned back, avoiding the attack, and countered with her own left jab.

Truth was sent flying straight into a wall.

She coughed out blood while in shock.

She is faster and stronger than me? Well, not for long.

< I am faster and stronger than you: Truth >

In an instant, she covered the gap between them and hit Margarita squarely in the face.

Margarita was now the one now sent flying backward into a wall.

Did she increase her strength and speed in an instant?

“That skill you just used. You tried to used it to lower my guard earlier… I take it that, it is also responsible for what is happening outside?”

“Yes…”

“What a terrifying skill”

“It is…”

“But it seems to has its limits…”

Margarita concluded that if the skill had no drawbacks then she wouldn't be hiding herself in the cave.

“Tch… True… I can't brainwash more than a couple of people at a time, and it seems someone like you is immune to that kind of effect.”

“That is why you want to capture me?”

“Yes. Hellion-sama will be most pleased if I bring you to him. He will figure out why you weren’t brainwashed. If you come quietly with me, perhaps you too may serve Hellion-sama.”

“I have someone I serve already. Your offer is declined.”

“Humph… Fool. Once those outside are finished killing everyone, I will have them kill…”

Just as she was about to finish her words a blinding light came from outside.

What was that? They both wondered

That was the moment in time when Duchess Rania had appeared and cast < Holy Heal >.

When her connection to those she had brainwashed was disconnected, Truth frowned.

Another troublesome person has appeared… Tch…

“Where are you looking?” Margarita asked before missing her with a slash from her sword.

This is not good… I have to escape.

As she was thinking that, Margarita increased her speed and strength, catching her off guard.

Did she become faster? But how?

Margarita landed a series of blows before slamming her against the wall.

“Surrender… There is no chance of escape.”

Not just faster, but stronger too… This is bad… If I am captured, it will cause a lot of problems for big sister… I have no choice…

< I am on a death march: Truth >

Margarita quickly backed away from truth.

She was surging with power. Blood dripped from her skin.

Her eyes now had a greenish glow to them.

This was her trump card. The truth of a death march.

Itadori159 likes this.
  9. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 42: Truth vs Margarita conclusion

< Truth POV >

We were nothing more than orphaned kids when the demon king arrived in our worlds.

For us... nothing changed.

As people screamed all around us, we felt nothing.

For us... death was only one step away.

Hellion-sama was the one who saved us.

My older sister didn’t believe in his words as I did.

“I see… The older one does not believe in my words, while the younger one does. Interesting… I shall name you Truth and Lie… You will serve me from now on.”

Those were the words he spoke when he met us.

It could have been anyone, but it was us.

We were the chosen ones.

After that, we traveled from one world to another.

We conquered, destroyed, and moved on.

All for the sake of the demon king.

I didn’t really care much for the demon king and his goals. All I wanted was for me and my sister to be happy.

Hellion-sama was the one who brought us that happiness.

He treated us better than anyone ever could.

If it is for Hellion-sama then…

I ready to throw this life away...

< I am on a death march: Truth >

My power is raging inside me. The dearth march is my ultimate skill.

All my power is released in an instant.

I will use this power to escape. If I can't, then at the very least... I will take her down with me.

< Margarita POV >

I have never felt such an aura before.

This was the aura of someone not afraid of death.

My father would often warn me about the dangers of facing such opponents.

Their actions follow no logic.

There is no attack pattern to anticipate.

I going to have to use all the experience I have gained over the years.

Over the years huh?...

“What are you doing out here in the rain Margarita.”

“Training father… I will be the best swordsman around.”

“Is that a fact?”

“Yes… I will silence those fools that mock you.”

“You need not pay mind to fools like Margrave Lance and Count Gunnleifus.”

“But father…”

“Listen here little one. It matters not what the world thinks of you, but what you think of yourself. Always remember that”

“Yes, father…”

I am the king’s sword… Margarita Prigent… I will not lose this battle

Truth’s outburst of power stopped and she stood still.

The cave was quiet.

A single drop of water falling to the floor, signaled the start of the battle.

Truth leaped from wall to wall at a fast speed. She was using hit and run tactics.

Tch… Her movements are too random for me to pinpoint her trajectory

Margarita's swings were only hitting air, however, the truth was putting most of her efforts into her speed, as a result, her attacks were not as strong as she would want them to be.

I am running out of time, I need to end this quickly, Truth thought

She was desperate to end this battle and escape. She concluded that Margarita wasn’t someone to turn her back towards.

Little by little, she chipped away at Margarita. Putting more effort into targeting Margarita’s legs.

A fatal mistake.

She has been targeting my legs? Does she plan on escaping? This means, there will be an instant when…

“Hmm… Looks like the battle outside has ended… Sorry, but I can no longer afford to play with you. < I will kill you now: Truth >

She will have to block or dodge my attack. Blocking this attack is suicidal and dodging it, will allow me to escape. Either way, I will get to see my sister and Hellion-sama again. We will share a meal just like a family again...

“< Spirit Core: Full Burst >”

Edwin and everyone saw as a pillar of light burst from the cave into the sky.

Who the hell did Margarita face that she would have to use that? Edwin thought.

When the light faded. Margarita stood over Truth.

Her lower body was gone. Only her upper body remained but even that was fading to ash.

She felt cold.

When eyes meet that of Margarita, she realized the truth…

“I see… I lost…” she uttered with teary eyes

“Yes.”

When she heard that reply she stretched her hand towards the sky, as if trying to grasp something…

“Sister… Hellion-sama… I am sorry…” Those were the last words of truth.

Itadori159 likes this.
  10. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 43: Truth and the Abyss King

It was cold and dim but those mattered not to abyss king Hellion. He was attending a meeting called by another abyss king.

From the castle, he now occupied he could see through two projections, the abyss kings Ermengarde and Zell.

“Are you sure you do not need reinforcements? Ermengarde,”

“Are you questioning my capabilities? Hellion.”

“I am simply worried that you are overconfident in your schemes. Vidfamne must have alerted you to the possibility of failure.”

Ermengarde frowned at his remark. The failure of her forces to destroy Vidfamne was already known by the other two kings.

“Humph…The force I sent there was disposable.”

“Are you saying that you sent them there, knowing that they would lose?”

“Yes. I did. I wanted to give a sense of false hope.”

She was lying and Hellion knew it. However, if Ermengarde was planning on digging her own grave then he wasn’t going to stop her.

Many people have risen to the ranks of abyss kings only to be replaced once they made a stupid mistake.

The demon king was not one to forgive so easily.

“Understood… What of her?” he asked looking at the chained goddess…

[​IMG]

“Huh? Why do you have an interest in my pet?”

“Pet? That is not the reason the demon king handed us the goddess.”

“Hmm…and you think you know the reason?”

It was now his turn to frown. If it wasn’t so that they could absorb their powers then why would the demon king give them the goddess?

“Bait…” Ermengarde spoke with a huge smile on her face.

“Bait?”

“Ar~re…you didn’t figure it out. Why do you think we allowed the humans to collect information about us so early on in the war?” she uttered with a satisfied expression.

Hellion could only stay quiet and allow Ermengarde’s bragging.

“As soon as the humans found out that we were in possession of the goddess, they would no doubt aim for us first and ignore the demon king. This will allow the demon king to do what needs to be done before we destroy this world.”

“I see…”

“No needed to be so down Hellion-chan. You are the youngest of us three. You have probably never seen this strategy before... ” she said with a proud expression

“We have never used this strategy before.”

“Eh?” Ermengarde uttered after Zell spoke for the first time.

“This is the first time we had to use this strategy. The goddess inflicted a huge blow on our invading forces as well as our fellow abyss kings. The king had no choice but to use this strategy.”

“Ah…right…. Hahaha…. I am genius to see through the demon king's plan…. Hahaha”

“Don’t get cocky Ermengarde.” Zell sternly warned. “Hellion’s concern is valid. The kingdom called Highland. We need to destroy it...”

“No need to worry. Highland will not be taking part in this upcoming battle. Once I deal with this force, I will have our forces attack Highland through the soon destroyed kingdom of Jarodor and our fully ailed kingdom of Everwood. Highland will stand no chance.”

“Are you sure?” she asked sternly again.

“Fine…I will join the battle as well. Does that put you at ease?”

“Nope…The opposite actually.”

“Humph… Whatever… This meeting is over.” Ermengarde uttered before cutting her connection to the others.

“Hmm… Prideful as ever.” Hellion uttered

“It is not pride if you can back it up, and Ermengarde has backed it up so far. For now, we should only sit back and watch.”

“Agreed….”

“Well then… I will leave you to attend to your aid. It seems she has a matter to discuss with you.” Zell uttered before cutting her transmission

Hellion stood up and turned to the aid who was standing behind him. She was someone who never liked or trusted Hellion ever since she met him. However, Hellion could sense that her hatred towards him had grown dramatically.

“What happened Lies?”

“Truth is dead” she replied with a glare.

“Is that so…”

“Is that all you have to say?”

“Words cannot express the loss I feel today. Truth, was a daughter to me.”

“Stop with your lies!” She yelled. “My sister and I were nothing more than pawns. You used us to kill, torture, and torment people. Don’t you dare try and act like you were a father to us.”

Lies unlike her sister never once believed in Hellion. The only reason she accepted to serve him all those years ago was to avoid death.

She spent years acting like a daughter for the sake of her sister who truly regarded Hellion as a father.

Her whole life has always been for the sake of her sister.

When they were young she acted as both a mother and an older sister. That was her purpose.

When the demon king arrived in their world. She believed her purpose to be that of protector.

And when they joined the demon king she watched over her sister from afar. Only intervening when absolutely necessary. She believed that her sister was ready to stand on her own two feet and with the power Hellion gave to them, she could not imagine anything being a threat to her sister’s life.

And now, with her sister gone. She had one last final purpose to fulfill.

“I am going to get revenge for Truth. I will find whoever killed her and make them pay.”

“I see… will you return to me?”

“Only to kill you.”

“I see…. I wish you well…”

“Don’t need it… I don’t need something like that from someone who probably doesn’t even know our true names.” She yelled before bursting out the door.

She left the castle on horseback without even glancing back.

Hellion watched as the young girl disappeared into the setting sun.

“Martha…. Your sister Sue is just as reckless as you were…” a sad voice spoke

Itadori159 likes this.
  11. Itadori159

Itadori159 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting for next part
    Story really is interesting
    Hope u have many more readers
    Pls updates every month if possible

12. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    chapter 44 Friends Reunion

Duchess Rania was having a dream.

In that dream, she was fighting her old friend. In that dream, after they fought, they made up and became friends again.

It was a dream she had hundreds... No, thousands of times. She hated the fact that when she woke up in the morning, she would realize it was all just a dream.

Her sleepy eyes opened slowly.

She felt different. The bedding she was in was not the bedding's she was used to, however, she had no complaints.

These bedding's were far better than what she is used to.

From the feeling and texture, she concluded that she was in Highland.

“You are finally awake.” A voice called out to her

Her eyes opened wide when she saw the owner of the voice.

“Maureen!”

“What is with that stupid look on your face? You are acting like you didn’t knock me out with a move that destroyed part of my island.”

“Maureen…” she said again with her teary eyes

Maureen sighed. “Come here.” She said while spreading her arms.”

The two embraced for a long time until Rania finally calmed down.

They were having breakfast in their room. Rania hardly blinked which made Maureen wary for her well-being.

“What happened?” Rania asked

“It seems you suffered a backlash from using that spirit armor and lost consciousness. That is what Queen Madeline explained.”

“You met her?”

“Yeah. She came to explain everything yesterday, along with a warning to not do anything stupid against the king of Highland. Just remembering that gives me chills.”

“Yeah… She can be scary sometimes.”

Maureen chuckled when she heard that.

Rania looked at her happy friend. She always dreamed of this day but now that it was here, she couldn’t help but feel anxious.

Maureen who notice this spoke up, “I am not the smartest tool in a blacksmiths store but Queen Madeline explained your thinking. I won’t say I approve of you making such a decision on your own but, it was made with the best intentions in mind. Let leave it at that.”

“Sorry. I thought I was going to be able to solve everything on my own but in the end, I couldn’t do anything. If it wasn’t for Edwin, nothing would have changed.”

“That might be the case but what matters now is the way forward.”

“The way forward?”

“Will we be friends again or not?”

Rania held her breath. Did she have the right to voice her opinion?

“I say... yes.”

“Eh?”

“Let us be friends once again. Or do you still want to be enemies?”

“No… I… I…”

Maureen didn’t wait for her to finish her stumbling words and embraced her.

“Maureen,” Rania said softly

“Hmm…”

“What is it?”

“Well, I am a secondary queen consort and you a concubine. Shouldn’t you be calling me Lady Maureen and curtsying?”

Rania stopped talking and almost as if by magic, she went to her former self.

“Ar~ra Ar~ra… Interesting words from someone who raised their weapon against their supposed husband and king. Didn’t you also attack your people? Who was it that stopped you before you did something even worse, huh?”

“Haa!? I was being mind-controlled. I am not responsible for that.”

“The great Queen of the laminas is trying to dodge responsibility? How shameful.”

“Shameful? Says the woman who ignored Highland only to end up begging on her knees.”

“Where did you hear that from? That was meant to be a secrete.”

“Queen Madeline.”

They bickered back and forth which made it hard for the two people outside their room to knock on the door.

“They sure get along,” Edwin said

“I have never seen this side of my mother before. It is strange." Cecelia remarked before asking Edwin a question, "What do we do now?”

“Your majesty.” As Edwin and Cecelia spoke a voice called out to Edwin. It was Prime Minister Clark and he looked to be in a hurry.

“What is the matter?”

“The hero and the united alliance army has started for the Dukedom of Gillhearts. All forces are on stand-by and awaiting your orders.”

“Understood. Assemble everyone for a war council. I will be there shortly.”

“As you command.”

The time had finally come for Highland to mobilize. Edwin took a deep breath as he pondered on the possibility of success.

If our calculations are right. This force should make it to the kingdom of Saifuddien where the demons will spring their surprise attack. Timing will be key, not only do we have to defeat the abyss king but we have to rescue the goddess as well.

It had already been established that a surprise attack will be essential to victory.

Then there are the Laminas and Harpies. I want to include them in my plans but will we be able to train them in time? It should take three weeks for this force to make it to Saifuddien. Four, if the hero doesn’t ignore advice to move slowly... He probably won’t. HE will draw too much attention if he acts recklessly. He can’t risk people finding out about his betrayal beforehand.

Sorry to disrupt your thinking Edwin, but i need a moment of your time.

Eh. What is it, Queen Madeline?

Come to my room. Something interesting is happening here.

Something?

I have a guest.

A Guest! Who?

Edwin's eyes widen when the Queen said the name of the guest.

Just what was she thinking by arriving at this very moment?

He left Cecelia in charge of getting her mother and the duchess ready for the assembly and headed off to Queen Madeline’s chambers.

What will she say? He wondered as he entered the room.

Itadori159 likes this.
  13. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 45 The March 1

In the Dukedom of Gillhearts, a large allied force camped for the night. It had been a week since it set off from the kingdom of Jarodor, under the leadership of the Hero.

Volunteers, adventures, mercenaries, and soldiers made up this fighting force.

This was also the place where you would find Edwin’s former fiancés having a chat inside a tent.

“Edwin married a Lamina Queen?” Princess Siraye asked with a surprised expression.

“Not yet. But there has been an announcement that he will. She is to be his secondary Queen.” Euphemia replied after reading a letter from her mother.

“Hmm… Secondary Queen? Isn’t that is a really old custom?” Princess Siraye remarked

“The question we should be asking is what Highland stands to gain from allying with the laminas?” Princess Louise asked
    “I heard that laminas are strong fighters… especially near water bodies. If they join hands with the already strong Highland army, then Highland will become even more powerful.”

“I can’t believe he is planning a marriage at a time like this,” Euphemia complained

This was exactly what Duchess Rania was aiming for. Just because Highland said it wouldn't participate in the war doesn’t mean the demons won’t be on a look out for them. If word, however, reached them that Highland was preparing for a royal wedding then there is a chance that they would let their guard down.

Duchess Rania was using her daughter who will most likely tell the hero of the situation in Highland, to leak that information to the demons.

“Euphemia…” Princess Louise called out.

“What is it?”

“You might want to refrain from making such comments in the future.”

“I know…”

She and the other two, were the ones who one-sidedly broke off their engagement to Edwin without following protocol. As a result, they were the last people who should protest about any decision Edwin took. After their encounter with him in Vidfamne, that became crystal clear.

However, Euphemia still had a habit of issuing a few complaints here and there when they are in private… much to the displeasure of the other two who wished to forget the entire affair.

“It’s just so frustrating… With Highlands help, we could win this war...”

“Enough!” Princess Louise yelled… to the surprise of Euphemia

“…Sorry” Euphemia replied

“No… I am the one who should be sorry. It’s not your fault.” She said

Euphemia who has been oblivious to her two friend’s irritation on the topic of Edwin finally realized that something was wrong.

“Is there something you two are not telling me?”

Princess Siraye and Princess Louise glanced at one another before Louise spoke.

“The nobles in my kingdom are questioning my choice of marrying Hans.”

“Eh? Why would they do that?”

“Think about it, Euphemia. Even if Hans wins against the demons… All he will inherit are destroyed lands. It will cost a fortune to rebuild his kingdom. When all is said and down… The holy land and the two empires will probably be the only ones who will benefit from all this.”

The empires and the holy land would provide the funds to build the kingdom with conditions attached.

The saint’s children will probably end up as heir to the throne while the two beauties from the empires will probably be given a large dukedom. Everyone else will have to be contempt with scraps.

A piece of land here and there, with a title like a countess.

In the past, the Jarodor kingdom still viewed such an outcome to be better than the Queen of the poor kingdom of Highland, but that has changed and they were looking for a scapegoat.

“What were you doing all that time in the holy land? How could you have not foreseen the rise of Highland? Did I waste my time raising a moron?”

Her mother was even more forceful with her criticism.

“When I read your letters I was lead to believe that your alliance with the hero would be profitable for us… but now I know the truth. You hardly spent any time with Edwin in the Holy land. You even went out of your way to avoid him altogether.”
    “I was only doing what I thought would be best for the royal family. Highland was a poor kingdom with no future. I thought…”

“Are talking back at me?” The queen glared.

Her mother was scary when she was angry, and right now she was very angry.

Most people knew Duchess Rania as a calculating beautiful woman, however, the queen knew her as a powerful temptress, who was always 3 steps ahead of everyone else.

The fact that she had not formed ties with Highland before spoke volumes about the worth of the kingdom. That and her daughter’s letters describing Edwin as a weak boy made the queen support her daughter’s actions.

All this changed when she heard that Duchess Rania would become Edwin’s concubine.

Upon hearing this, she had Princess Louise’s former attendants in the holy land questioned. It was then that she discovered her daughter hardly spent any time with Edwin, to begin with.

As the person who going to be the future Queen of Highland, she had expected her daughter to not have done such a thing.
    When a woman enters another royal house, it is common practice to investigate everything about that family. Spies have their limits in such investigations but a dinner with wine could reveal national secrets that are otherwise not spoken off.

Had Princess Louise spent more time with Edwin, she could have overheard of any developments that they were keeping secrete. That was the Queen's opinion.

She, herself... had done so in the past before marrying Princess Louise’s father. But her daughter never did such a thing. Her decision must have been influenced by her friends impressions of him and that was just foolish in her mind.

Just because someone jumps off a bridge doesn’t mean you have to jump as well… What was she thinking!?

“Mother…”

“Don’t say another word, Louise. Your apology cannot salvage what you have done.”

“Is it really that bad?”

“Are stupid? That Duchess Rania even went as low as to offer herself as a concubine. Do you have any idea what that means!?”

Princess Louise stammered to reply to her mother.

“For her to lower herself so far means that the rewards outweigh the humiliation. Why do you think no one with a brain is looking down on her!?”

“The rewards?”

“Do you know where the food for the army is coming from? It is Vidfamne… or to be more accurate, Highland through Vidfamne.”

“What!?”

She didn't even know that much huh?

The queen sighed before saying, “You can leave now.”

“Wait… Mother.”

“What is done is done. Focus on supporting the hero and making a child.” She coldly replied, “I will handle Highland.”

Euphemia felt shaken after hearing Princess Louise’s story. “I am sorry Louise. I didn’t know that you were going through that.”

“It’s alright. Thinking about it won’t change a thing.” She replied.

“Wait… Siraye… What about you?” Euphemia asked her other friend

“Nothing major has happened to me but my father did ask me an odd question.”

“An odd question? What kind of question was it?”

“Hmm…”

Itadori159 likes this.
  14. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 46 The March 2

“He asked what?” Euphemia yelled

“Calm down Euphemia…” Louise uttered

“What do you mean, calm down… Her father asked if she is willing to become Edwin’s concubine.”

“We need to hear the full story. If you keep yapping like that, we won’t.” Louise pointed out.

The room fell silent as Euphemia sat back down.

“Siraye. What exactly did your father ask?”

“As I said…” she utter before she began to tell the story.

“What did you just ask me? Father”

“I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I still need an answer. Suppose the opportunity came… would you consider it?”

He was strange. This question was weird but the manner he presented it was even weirder.

“If doing so would protect my people then I would agree to it.”

“I see… What about your personal happiness.”

“Hmm... I had once chosen my personal happiness over my duty.”

“When you married the hero.”

“Yes… I believe that I am not entitled to another such luxury. If me becoming his concubine would save my people then I will gladly do it.”

“I see.”

His expression was one I have never seen. It was like he was there but he wasn’t at the same time. Something was clearly bothering him.

“Is something the matter?”

“No… Not really…”

“You wouldn’t ask me such a question if that was true. I cannot think of any situation where I would be asked to become the concubine of Edwin.”

“Do you dislike him that much?”

“No… I admit I thought little of him when we were in the holy land…”

“That was probably because of the bad influence, I and your brother Theodemar had on you. We inspired you to value the warrior spirit and neglected to tell you that not all battles are won with brute force. Some require imagination and intelligence. That Edwin clearly has both in large volumes.” he praised

“Father!?”

I had never heard my father honestly praise someone before. It was truly shocking that he was showing respect to the fiancé I rejected.

“I am sorry if my behavior and question have troubled you… You may leave now.

“Father… I…”

I couldn’t speak anything. My mind went blank. Something was clearly wrong but I also felt like my father wouldn’t tell me anything.

Become Edwin’s concubine huh?

Even if a request was to be sent to Highland, I cannot imagine Highland accepting it. That should be obvious to father and yet he still asks about the possibility. I am currently married to Hans… Even if it is a hypothetical question, asking a married woman about becoming another man’s woman is no joking matter.

Am I missing something?

The odds of this military campaign being a failure are not that high. There is no reason to believe that Hans will die in this campaign, and yet…

“I will take my leave now.”

“Take care…” he replied as I left for my tent.

“Hmm… That was indeed a weird conversation between you two.” Louise uttered before she began to think

It is almost as if he knows that Hans would end up dying. However, even then… We three, are the last people that would be welcomed into the Highland Royal Household. No… Nothing is impossible in nobility but the price that our kingdoms would have to pay would be nothing a laugh about. The best course of action would be to prepare another candidate. However, what if Edwin desired…

“I don’t understand… Why is everyone doubting Hans?” Euphemia cried out loud

“I fear that there is something everyone is hiding from us. Even the elven warriors have been acting strangely.” Siraye noted

“What do you mean?” Louise asked as her attention now focused on Siraye

“It is hard to put into words, but it is like they are avoiding people around them. Even I am being treated like an outsider… At least, that is the impression I am getting.”

“Are you sure it is not just your imagination? Sorry to say this but elves are not known as the most sociable people.”

“I know, but still… Even for our kind there behavior is odd… I can’t help feeling that something feels off… Like they are hiding something.”

“Hmm…”

“It doesn’t matter!” Euphemia yelled. “All we need to do is focus on is supporting Hans. You will see… Hans will overcome every obstacle the world throws at him.” She declared before dashing out of the tent.

Louise and Siraye could only give wry smiles at her conduct.

‘They will see… They will all see… Hans will solve everything.’ Euphemia thought as she walked in the night.

“That is the problem with the young… They latch on to something so strongly that they become blind towards everything else.”

“Considering the situation we are in… Aren’t we the last people to say that?”

The two who watched Euphemia were the king of Everwood and his son, Theodemar.”

“I will not deny that possibility.”

Theodemar sighed at his father’s reply, “Seriously old man… You have really picked a bad time to change your personality.”

“Has it changed?” He asked with a puzzled look.

“You never honestly praise anyone and you never admit to anything… Your behavior has become too weird. No wonder Siraye is suspicious.”

“Is that so? I will reflect on that as we travel.”

Theodemar watched as his father now stared at the stars above. There was a question that was stuck on his throat, however, he could bring himself to ask.

“You are wondering why I praised the young King of Highland.” His father spoke.

Theodemar could only bring himself to node his head.

“That boy… He had his whole world turned upside down in a matter of days. Most people would run from the situation he found himself in, while others would fight and lose. He not only fought but won too. If you can’t praise such a thing then you will never understand the true meaning of courage?”

“The true meaning of courage?”

“Courage is a warrior’s greatest asset. However, I have seen many experienced fighters break down simply because the odds were against them. They allowed fear to sneak into their hearts and break them from within. Such people never understood that courage isn’t the absence of fear, but the ability to overcome it. The boy must have overcome a lot of fear to rise to where he is now. Someone like him… No. Never mind… I have no right to wish such a fate on that boy. We should head in and rest. The march continues tomorrow.”

As he watched his father head off. Theodemar thought to himself, ‘You were going to suggest that he won’t betray the world as you did… Father. You want him to lead the fight against the demons but can’t bring yourself to say it out loud. Edwin Von William Highland… I wonder what a meeting between you two would be like.

Such a meeting would never come to pass.

Itadori159 likes this.
  15. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 47 The March 3

“We will now begin to formulate a battle plan.” A general spoke

A large tent had been set up. Inside the tent were the seven leaders of the marching army.

They included the Hero Hans.

The king of Everwood.

The leader of the mercenaries, Theodemar Inanala.

The appointed general by the two empires, David J Hook.

The general of Jarodor, Kith L. Pride.

The temporary master of all the guilds, Felix, and a bishop from the holy kingdom, Martin J. Hill.

“The thief and assassin guilds have reported back. There is a large army gathered in front of the capital.” Felix reported. “They seem to be waiting for our arrival.”

After a long march, they had finally arrived near the capital of Saifuddien. The capital was built next to the ocean on the west side of the kingdom.

Because of this, the Saifuddien capital was the most prosperous city port on the continent.

No other kingdom had its capital double as a port city as well. Saifuddien was indeed leading the world into a new way of thinking.

Duchess Rania herself considered doing the same in Vidfamne, but her war with the laminas prevented that.

“Cocky bastards. They probably think that they can take us easily like last time.” David commented

“Please watch your language.” Bishop Martin pleaded

“Sorry about that.” He apologized.

David had been chosen by the two empires to lead the forces of the empires. His household of Hook had blood ties in both empires and acted as a go-between.

He was a better warrior than he was a noble. Outspoken, brash, and unruly… were some of the gossips that spread about him. Because of this, even at the age of 35, he was still unmarried.

“How should we proceed?” A nervous Felix asked.

Felix was just a normal commoner. Being trapped in a tent with nobles, royalty and a hero made him anxious. He double thought every word before speaking.

“I want a three-column formation. The elven army on the right. The Jarodor forces to the left and lastly I will lead the reaming forces in the middle.” Hans uttered

“What about rearguards to protect an escape route?” David interjected.

Hans slammed his fist on the table, “There will be no escape.” He shouted

The elven king and Theodemar were the only ones who knew the true meaning behind those words. The rest most likely misunderstood his words as claiming victory for the allies.

“Even if you say that…” David replied

“Master David is right Hero-sama. We cannot enter this battle without a means of escape.” Bishop Martin spoke

“I must agree with them… Entering battle without an escape plan is foolish. We do not know what the demons are thinking. The fact that their army is waiting for us rather than preparing for siege suggests that they have a plan.” General Kith spoke.

His observation was spot on. The demons were indeed waiting for them with a plan, however, the hero, king of the elves, and Theodemar had no intention of telling him that he was right.

“Allow us elves to handle that.” The elven king spoke.

“Can you really handle it?”

“Yes… It will stretch our resources but if I may trouble Theodemar a bit, I am sure we can handle it.” He replied

“I see… What say you? Theodemar.”

“As long as I am paid my dues then I will do my job.”

“Ha… Spoken like a true mercenary. I will have worries with you having my back.” David declared before thumping on his armor, “Leave the demons to me and the hero.”

“Oi… Don’t act like we aren’t here as well,” Kith said

“Sorry about that… My blood must be boiling with anticipation for the upcoming battle.”

“Looks like we have reached a conscious.” Bishop Martin declared. “We should begin preparations for the attack.”

“Looks like everyone is finished with preparations for the battle,” Siraye spoke as she entered the tent.

“We have just finished ourselves,” Louise replied.

“It's finally here… The day that Hans makes a mark as the hero who will save us all by defeating that abyss king.” Euphemia said with a big smile as she held the necklace her mother gave her.

“You must be happy that you will ride alongside the hero,” Siraye uttered

“Are jealous?”

“Hmm... maybe a little bit, but it can’t be helped. The elves have been stretched in covering the right flank and preparing an escape route. I have to help my father.”

“I on the other hand have to join my army to boost morale. It is something my cousin requested of me.” Louise added

“I would be lying if I said I was sad that you guys couldn’t join us, but in return for this happiness I feel, I swear to fight for all three of us,” Euphemia said with a smile.

“We will be counting on you to do that,” Louise said before all three of them embraced

“Have they begun to move?”

“Yes, your highness…. We have received word from agents on the ground that the battle is about to begin.” A knight replied

“Then all hands to battle stations. I connect me to all attacking forces.”

“Yes sir. Connection established.”

Edwin took a deep breath before speaking.

“To all who are participating in this battle. The time has come for us to show the might of Highland to the world. Whether it be demons or other kingdoms… They will never forget our power.”

Itadori159 likes this.
  16. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 48 Hans The Hero?

Two armies now faced each other. On one side is the army of the united alliance, led by the Hero Hans, and on the other, the demon army.

The abyss King Ermengarde who sat on the goddess with a look of Ecstasy on her face spoke, “Welcome back, Hero Hans Varma Saifuddien. Do you like what I have done with the place?”

The once white walls of Saifuddien have been stained a bloody red. The stench of death and decay was in the air. This place, which was once filled with joy and laughter was now nothing more than a hellish sight.

Ermengarde's words could be heard by all as she had cast a spell that amplified her voice.

“Pay her no mind Hans. She is just trying to get under your skin.” Euphemia remarked.

“Lady Euphemia is right. Mind games are often used in warfare… We have to stay on our toes against such things.” General David added

“I am sure the Hero has taken that into account, General. We only need to support him.” Bishop Martin said

“I agree with the Bishop… Hans… Please give the order to attack.” Euphemia

“Ho my… How uncivilized… Aren’t you at least going to attempt to negotiate with me?” Ermengarde asked with a smirk.

It seemed that she could also hear them despite the distance between them. Something that made Bishop Martin wary.

“Why would we negotiate with an ugly demon like you?”

“Euphemia!” Hans angry called out her name.

“Eh?”

“As David said, we should be careful of mind games.” He said after calming himself.

“Umm… Sorry…” Euphemia replied. She didn’t understand why he angrily called out her name but she didn’t question it either, unlike Siraye.

“Why did he get angrily all of the sudden?” she uttered

“Hmm…” her father replied

“There is something you are hiding from me.”

“What makes you think that?”

“That question you asked me… Hans’s strange behavior… What is going on?”

“There is no point in me telling you when it is about to be reviled.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Keep watching…”

Siraye turned her head back towards Hans, ‘Where is he going?’

“Hans!” Euphemia called out to him

“Wait here… I will approach her on my own,” he replied

“Wait… We never agreed to this.” General David objected

“Leave him be…” Bishop Martin uttered

“Do you know something that we don’t?”

“No… But perhaps…”

“Perhaps what?” The general inquired

“It’s nothing… Just be read to support Hans.”

“Tch!”

‘If I say it aloud, I might destroy his plans. Hans… You want to get close to the demon to free the goddess, right? I will have faith in you.’

“Ho… You have the bravery to come towards me alone?” Ermengarde uttered

“You asked for negotiations… I am here to negotiate.”

“Did I? Hmm… I don’t believe that I did.”

“Don’t toy with Hans, you demonic bitch…” Euphemia screamed

“Lady Euphemia, calm yourself!” Bishop Martin reprimanded

“Ugh… Tch…”

Ermengarde simply laughed at the situation. “What an interesting person you have there. Is she someone special to you?”

Hans didn’t answer. A disturbing silence followed before Euphemia called out his name in a worried tone, “Hans?”

Ermengarde simply snickered before speaking, “Ah… I remember now… Yes… Negotiations… Hero Hans, swear your loyalty to me and the demon king. Do that, and I will grant you power.”

“What the hell are you saying?” Euphemia screamed, “Hans is the hero who will save us all from you demons.”

“Is that true? Hans?” Ermengarde asked before casting the same voice amplification spell on him

“It is not…”

His reply shocked Euphemia.

“Hans… What are you saying?” Euphemia asked

Hans turned around and faced her and everyone else. His expression morphed and turned into something hideous. Half-human, half something else.

“Hans!”

“Kukuku… Looks like the time has come.” His clear voice was gone and a sickening voice now spoke.

“What is this? Bishop!?” General David screamed

“I don’t know… I have never seen anything like this…”

“Perhaps he has been possessed… Cast some holy magic on him.”

“Alright, < Holy Purification >

Hans was hit by Holy Purification, However…

“Impossible… It had no effect.” Bishop Martin uttered in shock

“Isn’t that to be expected? He is not being possessed after all.” Ermengarde explained.

“Then what is going on. Hans… Why are you acting like this?” Louise screamed

Both Louise and Euphemia had pale complexions. They couldn’t understand what was happening. Siraye on the other had an idea.

“Father… You knew?”

Her father uttered no words, his silence said it all.

“Answer me, Hans!” Louise angrily asked,

“When we demons first invaded the kingdom of Saifuddien. I found a young boy barely latching on to life in the castle dungeons. That boy is the hero who stands before you…”

“What!?”

Everyone was in utter shock at what Ermengarde had just explained.

“Kukuku… It’s true. It was not well known but in a family of overachievers, I was the black sheep. My mother, who should have loved me no matter what was disgusted by my very presence. No matter how hard I tried, it was never enough… She would scold me, beat me, and curse my very existence. In the end, she imprisoned me in the dungeon.” He began to explain. “I thought it would be for a short time, but days turned to weeks, and weeks turned to months. Eventually, even the guards forgot my existence. I was alone… until Ermengarde-sama saved me. She was the only one who came for me, who reached out her hand to save me.”

“Hans… You are being deceived. I don’t what she did to you but…” Euphemia uttered, before Hans interrupted, “Your wrong Euphemia… I am not being deceived. In fact, for the first time in my life, I see clearly. I finally know why I was born… why I never allowed that cold dungeon to take my life. It was to fulfill Ermengarde’s greatest wish.”

“Wish?”

“To become a Hero…”

Everyone was puzzled by what he just said. Ermengarde saw this and was delighted by the expressions they all had.

“You truly are foolish creatures. Hans is indeed a hero… My hero!” She replied with a devilish smile on her face.

Itadori159 likes this.
  17. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 49 I need a Hero

"The demons’ hero?”

“Does that mean that we have been deceived all this time?”

“What are we going to do?”

“We have to retreat…”

The volunteers and the adventurers were in a panic after witnessing the conversation that was happening.

Their fears were enough to send Ermengarde into Ecstasy.

“Glorious… Simply Glorious… I can already feel it… the despair, the fear, the anger, the desperation…” she cried in excitement. “Hans…” she called out.

“Yes… Ermengarde-sama”

“You have done well… As promised, I will make you one of us… A true demon.” She declared

His eyes opened wide before he took a knee before her.

“Hans!” Euphemia screamed. Despite everything that has happened it seemed that she still had hope that it was all a lie.

< Demon Blood Transfer >

Ermengarde activated the skill that turned someone into a demon. This was the second time she was using it on Hans.

His hair turned silver, as bat wings grew on his back. His once smooth skin turned into scales before a horn appeared on his forehead.

He roared…

Siraye and Louise were taken aback by his appearance. There was no trace of the man they had married. The thing that was in front of them now was nothing more than a monster.

“Behold… The hero of the demons… Demise.”

“Demise!? Is that my new name? Ermengarde-sama?”

“It is… It is a name that will be feared by all.”

“Understood… Then from henceforth, I shall be called Demise.”

“Excellent” she uttered before applauding happily, “...and now for your first task.” She said before turning her attention to the allied army.

“Understood… All forces… In the name of Ermengarde-sama… ATTACK!” he commanded

The demons behind Ermengarde roared before giant demonic worms appeared from the ground, west of the allied army.

Large columns of demons emerged from their mouths. Heading straight for the Jarodor army.

“We have to retreat!” General Kith shouted

General David was thinking of the same thing but, ‘They have outsmarted and outplayed us. I doubt they will allow us to leave so easily.’

“Oi… Kith… Leave the defense to me. Meet up with East flank with the princess and take lady Euphemia with you.”

“You… What are saying?”

“Indeed… What are you saying? The east flank is already mine.” Ermengarde uttered with an evil smile

“Eh?” General David uttered before turning to the king of the elves.

“Father… Don’t tell me.”

“Fire!” he uttered, ignoring his daughter's words.

The elven archers let loose their arrows and rained them on the allied army.

“Father! Stop this at once.”

“You dare to order your king!” he uttered in an angry voice, before drawing out his sword. “The only one who commands the elven army is I. If you feel that I am unfit to command them, then draw your sword and claim the throne.”

“Father!?”

He swung his sword towards Siraye who dogged at the last second… suffering a slight injury on her shoulder.

“Father?” she cried

“Kovar is in effect Siraye. Draw your sword.”

Kovar is a challenge issued to the ruler of the elven people. Only a member of the royal family can issue the challenge and once in effect, it cannot be withdrawn until one party dies.

“I never…”

“It's too late to back out now… Fight me or die where you stand.” He yelled before charging at her again.

Ermengarde looked at them with her purple eyes. She was enjoying the show that was unfolding before her very eyes.

‘This might be my greatest masterpiece. The chaos that is unfolding here is simply magnificent’ she thought, as she sexually touched herself.

“We need to form a diamond defense formation. All supporting mages in the center. Anyone to week willed to fight will provide support as well. I don’t want to risk breaking the chain of defense with weak willed people.” General David cried

“I agree with your decision. I will organize the guilds, but if we don’t stop the elven arrows, it will be pointless.” Felix replied

“Bishop Martin, can you do something about that?” General Kith asked

“If I work with the other priests, we will be able to make a barrier.” He replied

“Do it…”

“Ho!” Ermengarde uttered as a lightly green barrier was erected.

“It is holding. The attacks aren’t coming in.” one knight shouted

“Good. This will by us some time to recognize.” General David uttered

“How long will it last? Bishop Martin.” Louise asked

“Thirty minutes, however, if you can reduce the number of attacks, it might last longer.”

“How exactly are we supposed to do that?” General Kith asked

“This barrier prevents attacks and people coming in, but not the other way round.”

No one had ever heard of such a barrier before. It was a trump card kept secret by the holy kingdom.

Louise and General Kith both had the same thought, ‘Why didn’t use it before?’ However, after remembering the situation they were in, it was probably better that they had never told anyone about it.

“In other words.” General David uttered with a smile, “Oi… Anyone who can use long-ranged attacks target those elves behind us. We will clear a path for escape.”

“Escape? There will be no escape… < Demonic Ray >” Ermengarde uttered

She opened his mouth before unleashing an attack that shattered the barrier.

“Impossible…” Bishop Martin cried with a pale expression

“You fools… Your fate is already sealed. You will all die here… Except it.” Demon Hero Demise shouted

“Watch out, magic arrows!” an adventurer cried

Magic arrows fired by the elves rain on them. Causing expulsions in the center of the formation...

“Princess Louise, look out!” General Kith shouted as he shielded her from an exploding arrow using his shield.

“General Kith, are you okay?” she asked

“The bloodied general stood up. His shield was no longer useful. He cast it aside before answering, “I am still alive princess, but I wonder how long that will last.”

Their numbers were dwindling. This was no longer a fight but a one-sided massacre.

“Hans!!!” A voice yelled

Water gushed out from the earth into the sky. On the very top of the gushing water, Euphemia stood.

She was using the power her mother had given her. The accessory around her neck glowed brightly.

“Hans! I will save you. < Spiral Water Strike >

This was her ultimate attack. Spiraling water raced at incredible speed towards Ermengarde, However, Hans stood in-between Ermengarde and the attack.

“Hans! Move!” She cried

Despite her warning. He didn’t even blink.

“No!” she yelled before redirecting the attack.

“What are you doing Euphemia?” Louise shouted

With tears running down her face Euphemia failed to respond to her question.

“How foolish… Hans” Ermengarde uttered

Hans flapped his wings and flew fast towards Euphemia. He grabbed her by the neck and began to chock her.

“Hans… Please… Stop… Remember who you are… Remember me.” Euphemia pleaded

“I remember who you are. You were that clingy annoying girl who I could get rid of because I need Princess Louise and Siraye.”

Euphemias’ eyes widened when she heard that.

“Did you think I had any love for you? Sorry to disappoint you but you were nothing more than an eyesore, and now, you dare look down on Ermengarde-sama…. None but the demon king is allowed to stand above her…”

“In that case… Don’t mind me, I’m just flying through.”

Demise had no idea how it happened but a human was flying past him. He had never seen this human before but Euphemia had.

‘What is he doing here?’ she thought.

He is going after Ermengarde-sama. I have to stop him,’ Demise thought, however, before he could do anything, he felt the impact of an attack he never saw coming.

He was sent flying eastwards by one of the humans' attacks. Euphemia, who had been let go by Demise, began to fall to the ground.

However, she did not panic. She watched on as the human continued his flight towards Ermengarde as a barrier was erected around her.

‘Is this his doing?’ she thought.

Ermengarde watched as the humans flew downwards to the floor before making a sharp turn towards her.

‘Fool’ she thought before stretching her hand, “< Demon Lord, Three Layer Shield >

Three circular magical barriers blacked the humans’ path.

“This is a barrier technique that the demon king personally taught me. A foolish human like you has no chance of…” she began to boast, however, right before her eyes, the human broke the first layer with a glowing right punch. The second layer was broken by a left glowing punch. The human twisted and tuned, destroying the third layer with a spinning kick before finally kicking Ermengarde in the face and sending her flying into the blood-stained city wall.

The battlefield fell silent for a moment.

The demons who just saw their abyss king be sent flying were puzzled and confused about what to do next.

Should they continue the attack, or should they help Ermengarde?

“Who is that guy?” General Kith asked

It was Princess Louise who answered his question.

“He looks different but there is no doubt in my mind… That’s Edwin… The king of Highland.”

Itadori159 likes this.
  18. Itadori159

Itadori159 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn it! A cliffhanger! But well really great ( better than many other jp novels)
    Story is well written and thought of
    The setting of world maybe like any other jp novel but your story brightens up the plot
    ( My wish: don't let the 3 princesses end up with edwin, they don't deserve him anymore pls!!!! I would be happy if the three were to die *Cough**cough*)
    Anyway Waiting for next part pls release it soon
    Good luck with it

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  19. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 50 The future is never certain

‘Queen Madeline’ Edwin called in his mind and the fairy Queen appeared.

“Madeline-chan?” the goddess spoke weakly.

“Don’t worry. We are here to save you.” She replied before placing a blanket over the naked goddess and taking her back to the Highland capital where the prime minister, elite members of ghosting, and the royal knights were waiting just in case any demon followed them through the spirit realm.

When Prime Minister Clark Herman confirmed her arrival he ordered, “Raise the barriers and man all defensive positions. No enemies are allowed to enter!”

Highland’s castle town was in lock-down. No one was allowed to enter or leave. The security was so tough that a certain girl clicked her tongue at it.

< I will be denied my revenge. Lie >” she softly spoke.

Meanwhile, on the battlefield, a man asked a question.

“Wasn’t that the Fairy Queen?”

Bishop Martin was the one who asked that question in shock.

“I believe so.” General David replied.

He once had the lucky honor of seeing her a long time ago when a noble of the empire had arranged a meeting. There was no way he could mistake her aura even if was present for a brief moment.

“Wait… Does this mean that Highland and the Fairy Queen are working together?” General Kith uttered

‘That is likely the case but when did they start working together? Have they formed an alliance? If the answer is yes then…’

Princess Louise’s blood went cold. She collapsed onto her knees as her mind began to realize the gravity of her situation. Part of herself was screaming that this wasn’t the time to be thinking such thoughts but she couldn’t help it.

She remembered the cold glare her mother gave her. When word of Highland's rise was spreading around, some questioned her judgment in marrying the hero.

She paid no thought to those kinds of people as they were the same ones who ushered her words of praise when news of her matrimony was spread.

However, the situation had changed dramatically. The man she had married turned out to be working for the demons. No… He had now turned into a demon himself and worse, a demon hero.

If Edwin is victorious here, then the backlash against her would be unimaginable. She rejected the title of, ‘Queen of Highland’ only to face the possibility of being called, ‘the Queen of Fools.’

Louise knew that thinking such thoughts in this situation was foolish. The fate of humanity was at stake. It mattered not what the world would think of her as long as victory was achieved. That being said, she was only human.

She looked on as Edwin stood still as if waiting for something.

“He has finally come I see…” Those words were spoken by the King of the elves.

“Father!? Did you know that Edwin would appear?” Siraye asked as she took deep breaths.

She has been in a defensive battle against her father ever since he forced the Kovaran on her.

“It was 50-50. We informed Highland of the demons' plans beforehand, however, no more was discussed beyond that. I had no idea how Highland would use the information we provided them.”

“Why!? Why would you inform Highland and not the other kingdoms?”

“Because we were already too deep in the mud. Siraye, what do you think humanity will do after finding out about our betrayal.”

“That is…”

“Humans have a thirst for three things. Fame, fortune, and vengeance. When the demons offered to spare my people in exchange for my corporation, I accepted it because I saw no path towards victory.” He uttered in a sad voice, before staring at the spot Edwin stood.

“I am a pathetic excuse for a king.”

“Don’t say that…” Siraye uttered. “What you have done is indeed something I would never agree with, but you had the best of intention for the elves.”

“For a king… Results matter more than intentions. Just look at that young boy over there. He returned to find his kingdom stolen and his last parent killed. If I was his advisor at that time, I would have advised him to flee and hide. That would have been the best course of action in the situation he was in. However, that boy not only stood his ground and fought back, but he also did it while protecting his people from the despair of a long civil war, and if that was not enough, he raised them from a mocked kingdom to an all-powerful one that can even challenge the demons. Compared to that young lad I am indeed a pathetic king.”

Hearing her father say such words hurt Siraye. When she first meet Edwin, her impression of him was unfavorable. He looked weak in her eyes. For elves, strength was everything but as a royal, she was expected to sacrifice such principles for sake of her people.

At first, she didn’t mind, but when she meet Hans who shined brightly on the battlefield, she couldn’t help but desire to have him as a partner.

When her two best friends made their intentions to marry Hans, she also threw her hat into the ring.

For an elf, strength is everything but…

‘There is more than one type of strength you know. Everyone has something that they are good at and you will miss it if you don’t keep an open mind.’

The words of her mother popped into her mind. They were the words she gave her before she left to study in the holy land.

‘I thought that my mother was just trying to comfort me, but it seems I was wrong. If I had paid more attention to Edwin, perhaps I could have noticed the strength that was hidden inside of him. I was a fool and I will probably have to pay the price for that.’

“Let us continue our battle.” Her father uttered.

Hearing his words, something finally clicked in Siraye’s mind.

“Father!? Don’t tell me that you plan to take responsibility by dying here?”

“I betrayed humanity and the demons. It doesn’t matter who is victorious... as long as I am king, the elven people will suffer.”

“Father…” she said softly.

“I know it is a lot to ask but it must be done. You must take my head and present it to the victor while pledging your loyalty and corporation. This is the only way for the elves to survive.”

“Father…” she said softly again.

“However, I have no intention of going easy on you… Come, my daughter… Show this old man how far you have grown.” He said with a smile before charging toward her.

As Euphemia watched Edwin standing in front of the confused monster army, she couldn’t help but remember something from her past interactions with him.

“Save me?”

“Yep… If you are ever in trouble I promise to save you.”

It happened on one rare occasion as the two bumped into one another at a party held by a merchant who traded with both Highland and the duchy of Vidfamne.

‘What is this guy saying? There is no way such a weakling could save me.’

Euphemia was discussing her displeasure with other noblewomen about the fact that her trip to the holy land was her first-ever trip outside Vidfamne.

She longed for adventure and excitement but was forbidden from doing so because it was deemed too dangerous.

Hearing this, Edwin joined the conversation, “I couldn’t help but overhear what you just said, lady Euphemia. If it is alright with you, why don’t we go on an adventure sometime... and should you be in danger I will save you.”

“Save me?”

“Yep… If you are ever in trouble I promise to save you.”

Edwin uttered those words with sincerity, and while this would have earned him praise from the older noblewomen who knew of the evil intents of young noblemen who pray of girls with tales of love and adventure. The young noble girls simply chuckled at him behind the fans covering their faces.

Euphemia sighed in her mind. Edwin was her finance and she couldn't be rude to him no matter how much she disliked their engagement.

“I will be counting on you then.” She said with a fake smile.

As Euphemia remembered that. She realized that while they were not on an adventure together, Edwin had indeed saved her life.

‘He probably doesn’t remember it and saved me for my mother’s sake but still… To think he would keep his promise...’

“Euphemia!” Edwin yelled

“Huh!?”

“Return to your comrades at once.” He instructed

“Why are you saying tha~”

With a thunderous roar, something popped out of the blood-stained war. It glanced down to where Edwin was standing and yelled, “I'll Kill You, I'll Kill You, I'll Kill You…”

[​IMG]

Itadori159 likes this.
  20. hitori kanoko

Reading List:
    Link
    chapter 51 You are not needed here

Ermengarde had emerged from the blood stand walls with a murderous aura.

“Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill” she roared. “My beautiful face. My beautiful face. Do you dare hurt the face that the demon king called cute? You lowly creature. I will have your head. I will have your life. Kill Him! Kill Them All!”

The demons obeyed this command and advanced.

“All forced deploy…” Edwin commanded.

From the sky, the spirit planes appeared. Knight after knight jumped down to the ground.

A majority joined Edwin on the front lines. A few made a boundary between the alliance army and the elven army which had stopped their attack.

The members of ghosting also made an appearance as they faced the monsters in the west. No… To be more accurate a single member faced them as the others feared to approach her in this state.

“This is my chance to earn massive rewards by butchering everything in front of me Nya.” She uttered scarily.

“Do you feel that?” General David asked

“Yah… Each one of those Highland Knights is emitting magical energy of a level I have never felt from a human.” General Kith answered

“How can something like this be possible?” Bishop Martin cried

As if to make them even more shocked the Knights began to attack using magic.

<Fire Ball>

<Earth Spikes>

<Thunder Strike>

Their swords and spears launched magical attack after magical attack upon the demons.

“Oi Oi… What the hell are they doing? Are those magical attacks?” General Kith shouted in shock

“I have heard of some knights being able to do this among the empires but that is limited to 10 to 15 people out of 1000. For Highland to have every single knight capable of doing the same thing, what a terrifying power they have.” General David

Bishop Martin couldn’t speak about the destructive power the knights of Highland were displaying.

“Louise.” A voice weakly called out.

“Euphemia…” she replied

Euphemia had returned to her comrades as Edwin instructed. It wasn’t that long of a walk but for Euphemia, it felt like a lifetime. Hans’s transformation and betrayal. Edwin saving her from Demise. All these things filled her mind to the point that she could hardly pay attention to what was happening around her.

‘So… this is the power that saved Vidfamne. No wonder my mother bowed to it.’ Euphemia thought as she turned her head towards the battle in the front.

“Is everyone alright?” a man shouted

It was the temporary master of all the guilds, Felix and he was not alone. Next to him, was an out place maid.

“You are the maid who accompanied Edwin to the Holyland,” Louise uttered in surprise.

“I am honored that Princess Louise remembers me. I am Eve, maid of his majesty and Commander of the Spirit planes.”

[​IMG]

Everyone fell silent at the out-of-place introduction.

‘A maid and commander? What an odd combination.’ General David thought, however, the fact that she was wearing a maid outfit and Princess Louise also called her a maid, meant that she wasn't joking around.

Felix was the one who broke the silence, “Highland has cleared our escape route and is offering aid in getting our forces out of here. I say we take it.”

General David and Kith frowned at what he had just uttered. Having the hero turn enemy, losing to the demons, and then having Highland save them. This would be the mother of all humiliations an army had ever suffered.

Furthermore, this would give Highland the right to claim Saifuddien as their own should they be victorious here. General David didn’t want to return to the empires and report such a thing, however, the elves' attack had greatly affected his forces and the expression on Felix’s face told him that the guilds had already made up their minds to retreat. The only other option would be…

“Excuse me… umm… Commander Eve. I would like to offer my troupes support.” General Kith uttered.

About two-thirds of the Jarodor forces were still capable of offering support in battle. General Kith like General David didn’t want to leave a situation where Highland took all the glory.

General David was about to voice his support for the idea when Eve spoke with a smile, “Apologizes, but should the situation turn bad we have plans to launch a full magical bombardment of the area. Our knights are well trained and equipped to handle such a situation. The same can’t be said about your knights.”

“That’s… Umm…”

“Furthermore, can you prove that there are no more traitors like the hero among your ranks?”

“That’s…”

“And lastly… We may have forgiven, but we haven’t forgotten about the knights who died in your kingdom.” She uttered with a glare, which sent a chill down General Kith's spine.

Princess Louise too felt uneasy after hearing that. When the demons first arrived and threatened the kingdom of Jarodor. Highland under Edwins' father had sent knights to its defense, however, when the civil war broke out, the nobles of Jarodor who bordered Highland refused them passage to return home.

Those knights eventually were reported as dead by the kingdom of Jarodor. The official cause of death was an attack by demons but some in Highland thought otherwise.

Eve, bringing up that matter made it clear that Highland couldn’t trust Jarodor. General Kith simply lowered his head, unable to reply to her words.

“General Kith.” Princess Louise spoke, “Let's accept aid and retreat from the front lines. We can’t be of help here.”

“But!”

“There is no point in arguing. I will take full responsibility for it.”

“Princess Louise! That’s!”

“I'm glad you understand the situation. Please be safe on your journey back.” Eve uttered before taking her to leave with Felix following.

“Louise” a worried Euphemia called.

Taking responsibility for that decision was basically throwing your life away. Even if she was royalty, there was going to be a hash punishment waiting for when she returned home.

“It’s okay Euphemia. I will think of something before we arrive back. Right now, not suffering any more losses should be our priority. The alliance will need to regroup and restructure, plus…” she uttered before looking at where Edwin stood. “There is no guarantee that Highland will be successful.”

Highland was indeed strong, but the demons have also proven themselves strong and cunning.

The battle was 50-50 in her mind. They might as well make use of Highlands greed to claim Saifuddien for themselves to retreat and regroup.

This is the conclusion Princess Louise came to, or rather, that is what she wanted everyone to believe. In truth she had already accepted defeat.

' Highland could have waited until the demons killed us all before attacking, but they didn't. While there are many benefit in saving us, allowing us to die would not be bad either. Getting in their way will make us look pitiful.' she thought before pausing. She wondered if those thoughts were directed at the alliance or herself.

General David, who was probably the only person present who could have objected to her decision, had no reason to argue because she was willing to take responsibility for the alliance failure.

The alliance, therefore, withdrew from the battlefield, leaving Highland to face the demons and elves.

Itadori159 likes this.