Discussion RNG abuse.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Maraderchik, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone who read novels with "reincarnation in game world" or "transmigration in game world" tag at least once thought - Author san, why do you abuse RNG so much? Isn't it's strange when your MC gets item with 1/100000 drop rate every 20 chapters?

I'm fine when MC gain some items from his former knowledge about game world, but why the heck he should get items which particulary impossoble to drop in game?

For example, goblin warrior drop "Goblin's King ring" with 1/999999 chance and MC get it from clearing goblin's village with 30 goblin warriors.

mrttao likes this.
  2. CripplingDepression

CripplingDepression 『Professional Loli Appraiser』

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, the MCs have a unique skill call "Plot Armor". It gives them +100000% chance to get better items!

readerz, xchronicles, kenar and 7 others like this.
  3. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Because those Authors Never Actually experienced the Trolling of "RNGesus", so they never understand it. They just write what they Think is True....Heck, many of those RPG novels are so ridiculous that they really made readers wonder did they even play a RPG before.
    Those that experienced even just Once time the Trolling of "RNGesus", is enough to curse "him" for Life.
    ^ And also this.

readerz and bonifide like this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    High luck stat? Well in The Amber Sword, MC always gets the worst drop, but when he lets a certain person pick it up they get the best drop. Also when others pick it up by accident he also gets the worst drop.

But yes, the drop rates are usually pretty ridiculous, welcome to plot-sama.

MaliMi likes this.
  5. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Have to make the main character op and have him stand out from the other characters somehow.

6. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We need a lucky lucky perk cliche for the readers

7. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually it doesn't work that way it increases the drop rate of any rare item to 100% if you still can't get what you need, here take 2 for free

MaliMi likes this.
  8. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's like with most other MC's, you can chalk it up to ridiculous luck, since you always have players in RPG's and other games with RNG who get the best drops in a few tries. So it's not like the author makes the character super lucky, but the character that the author writes about is the one who got super lucky on the drops

9. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with character became OP via items, but i prefer these items was taken from some secrets or quests, it's pretty much the same but it's not that lame as RNG legendary loot from random mob.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  10. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah its even worse in a VRMMO game. A game where you can die but then again they have bullshit penalties. I don't think these authors played a rpg.

mrttao and prongsjiisan like this.
  11. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    All hail the church of RNGeesus

12. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I pretty much only read Ark, part of LMS and part of the King's Avatar, so I'm not sure if those are representative of the kinds of stories you're talking about. I don't remember Ark's system too well, but IIRC, LMS had several drop modifiers built in, like 'being the first to explore x dungeon' and 'being the first to kill x mob' as well as a lot of secret quests. Then with the King's Avatar, his special item is also basically a secret quest/apparent joke item that he figured out how to use correctly?

13. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    So rng is that thing that ticks you off?
    The last time I played (chinese) mmorpg you had to f**k boss for a while to get good items in a party of at least 6 players and for late game stuff you had to farm freaking ingridients to craft it. Also with party and more than 1 run. Also no daily loot bonus and real cash shop. Authors don't play mmorpgs.
    P.s. Korean mmorpg novels at least are being real about unreal grind:D

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    That kinda reminds me of that old novel zhan long..
    That novel abuses luck so much that he beats some uber cash user using drop equipment only..

15. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it is quite amazing just how many MMO fanfics were written by authors who have never in their life played an MMO game. It really doesn't make any bloody sense.

bonifide likes this.
  16. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read novels I tend not to complain over luck , think about it this way ...if the MC wasn't lucky he would be dead. Well in case of mmo there is room to complain about luck. Personally I like foreshadowing and preparation as opposed to luck.

To begin with anyone who has ever played an MMO knows that luck is really Irrelevant , you grind out specific pieces of gear tailored to your character random "rare" loot most of the time is usless. Any game that has 0.000009 drop chances for items on 24 man raids etc is a flawed game. Any piece of gear should be grind-able in a balanced mmo. The luck should only influence if you get it couple hours sooner or later.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018