Discussion RRL: The New World- How is it?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Cosmic_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I know that RRL has a forums and that NUF is for mainly novels on NU, but NUF is just better.

Anyhow, so I wanted to read The New World by Monsoon117 on RRL, however, I'm not quite sure how the Grimdark of the story is. I'm the type that hates a story where an MC suffers(suffers, not meaning struggle). I enjoy the "dark" feeling of Overlord and Dungeon Defense and Ouroboros Record ~Circus of Oubeniel~. I just don't like the Grimdark that has tragedy, rape, despair, death of loved ones, NTR, love drama, etc. I'm fine if minor characters die but not those that the author writes for you to like and grow attach to just to crush your heart.

I like Change: A New World and other novels where even if the MC has to persevere or face hardship, he isn't like torture by the author. I like an MC who can always get through it and win in the very end. I also hate annoying, heart-breaking romance drama, forced friendship betrayals/tragic misunderstanding. You get what I'm getting at?

I liked the very beginning part of God and Devil World but dropped it after all the stuff at the thieves/thugs den and with the MC. I also read Randidly Ghosthound but dropped it with the events happening to that young mana girl and after they visited that school.

TL;DR: So what I'm getting at is if The New World is more Overlord dark, the cool and badass kind, or the dark kind with despair, tragedy, bitterness and really heavy on the heart. Is it more grim or more dark?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. faraonj

faraonj Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read the reviews.

3. Corner Guy

Corner Guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its good, it's mostly struggle and pain and stuff.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't really answer my question though. It can tell the quality of the story but I just want to know the "type" of grimdark it is. Is it a sad depressing grimdark of dispair and tragedy or is it more of a grimdark atomsphere of an apocalypse and struggle.

5. ChivalrousNEET

ChivalrousNEET -lurker- -sophist- -procrastinator-

Reading List:
    Link
    Its great!!
    It has character development and the characters are fleshed out pretty well where in my book its already worth giving a shot! And worry not most if not all of the things that you listed are not there.. yet.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. OneNameVillain

OneNameVillain [One Who Faced And Became What Should Not Be]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not anywhere near that depressing. It's mostly the mc forging a path to become basically a physical god and killing a fuck ton of eldritch to do it.

Cosmic_ likes this.