Samsung galaxy discounts around s10 release?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TerraEarth, Feb 8, 2019.

1. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you guys happen to know around when (during, before, after?) the S9's will become discounted and by around how much(%) you expect them to go down in price? I heard Older models get heavy discounts when the newer one comes out.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Nameless Wanderer 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably why the discounted S9 for $500 suddenly went back to regular price recently: So they can discount it again

3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    ppl are dumb for accepting phone prices Id never pay for 400-1000$ phone that almost a down payment on a used car. and it doesn't do anything a phone from a year or 2 old can't do. all they do it put a cpu thats just a hair faster cus the camera hasn't made a jump in technology in the last 4-5 years. and the ram has been stuck around 4-6 gigs your not getting anything special. I got the Lg g6 last year new for 200$ and it's just as good as Samsung phones.

Ketheres likes this.
  4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grats. Just because you don't place the value of the S9 in line with its cost doesn't mean you should criticize those who do. Enjoy your phone and let the OP enjoy the S9.

MostlyBlue likes this.
  5. Ketheres

Ketheres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I got Galaxy S7 last Xmas for 200€, and it can run even the more intensive games just fine in 2560x1440 resolution (which is just overkill for a phone). The main differences to S10: a few fewer channels for 4G network, significantly slower capped network speed (I can get 20Mbps on my S7... I think that's enough for most connections), smaller screen (I prefer being able to handle it with just one hand, though having 0.6" smaller phone would be even more comfy for me), OS (8.0 v 9.0), 2 out of the 8 cores are slower, less internal memory (memory is cheap these days, unless you go way overboard. Just bought 64GB card for 20€), less RAM (as I said: still more than enough), no optical zoom on the proper camera, and a somewhat worse mirror camera. None of these are really worth the S10's pricetag imo, so just get whatever Galaxy (or alternative) you can get for around 200.

aegis062 likes this.
  6. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    that whats wrong with ppl and that why phones will continue to get more expensive because ppl like that exist.

7. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you are correct in a way at least, but is simply hard to understand that way of thinking I mean you can buy a new console from the holy Trinity, or a brand new Nividia or Intel CPU. At the end you only use the phone for WhatsApp, Twitter and face

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. They keep getting more expensive because they are packing more into phones than ever before. Curved screens aren't cheap. Curved glass is hard to make and often breaks during its production. The memory pricing issues further drove prices up. I don't see enough value in the S10 to buy the 5G version for well over $1000 USD, but there are some people who do. Maybe they just want the best that money can buy; maybe they need a feature that only that phone provides. Maybe it's for some other reason. Point is, don't push your subjective views onto others.

Maybe that's what you use your phone for, but that doesn't hold true for everyone. Don't assume something without asking the OP.

9. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like how you think it’s fine to have a shitty phone and a state of the art computer.

Other people thinks the exact opposite.

Older people especially. Who doesn’t even have a personal computer, prefer to use the latest phone since they use the phone for everything.

10. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    you say it's subjective, but is it really do you reaaaaaly need 1000$ phone? or can the 200$ phone do it too? the reason the market gets more expensive isn't because of curved glass it's because there plenty fools and idiots who willing to spend on something thinking they need it and every year they switch to a new phone. there are plenty of alternatives that bend well and can be used for curved screens one of them is being used for Samsung fold-able phone btw. this isn't a subjective view it facts the big companies make lot of money preying on your vanity of needing the new top of the line bullshit product.

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it is subjective. Do you really need a $200 phone? You could get a $50 flip phone. Some people would say you're overspending.
    You have no idea how often the OP is going through phones. Maybe this S9 will last the OP 5 years or more.
    The foldable phone is going to cost more than the S10. Not trying to burst your bubble, but new technology is expensive.

12. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I know but the cost of the fold-able screen is much less than a curve glass screen is what im saying. the phone will cost 10 or 50 times it cost to produce it because regardless of what it is ppl will buy because it's a new Samsung phone. which is my point that if ppl didn't buy these phones at such huge price tags the phone would cost maybe 2-3 times the cost of producing one. lets say it cost 100 and another 50-100 to put together the cost would be 300-350 at most, but since ppl need the new top of the line vanity filler it goes for 800-1000$.

13. Ketheres

Ketheres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A modern phone that lasts 5 years? Gee, gotta treat it with silk gloves for it to last that long...

14. alexsandro22

alexsandro22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not believe in it. Probably it is some kind of trick, that's all

Robinhd likes this.
  15. Nortons

Nortons New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never liked those S series by Samsung. They are overprised even when the next gen comes out

16. NerdChina

NerdChina Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try OnePlus. Their smart phones are as powerful as any other device on the market at a fraction of the cost. OnePlus is an underdog without a branding who leveraged strategic pricing and referral to build their brand and have successfully achieved a global presence in only years after their first launch. I still have the old model from many moons ago, and it still works like magic.