Discussion Saying Stupid Things

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cosmic_, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was talking to someone about the weather/snow of where I live and the conversation moved to him saying that he was from New York so the weather here is nothing in comparison to him. I then commented that I’ve also been to New York, and he then asked where in NY. I couldn’t for the life of me remember and went into an internal state of panic and stupidly spewed out “Chicago.” So then internally I was like “F*ck! That’s in Illinois, an entirely different state. How the h*ll did you think of Chicago. Why!?! Stupid. Brain fart. Sh*t, it was Manhattan. Now he thinks I’m some f*cking idiot. This is why I don’t talk to people.”

I hurriedly corrected myself and since it was just small talk with a stranger, the conversation just ended as it turned to awkward silence and we returned to our phones. I then got up and just walked away.

So yeah...

Anyone else have these moments?
    (Pls tell me I’m not alone.)

UnGrave likes this.
  2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Does one on a game counts?

I was playing a Werewolf game the other day and got a villager role. Then, when it was time to drop roles to check suspicious player I typed "Cg" (It means clumsy guy) instead of "Vg". I hurriedly corrected it but the villager team thought I was suspicious and thus, got lynched. Vg team lost that round.

Disgusting likes this.
  3. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    my programming class is about 30% ESL it turns into some interesting things trying to explain coding practices, or why things work the way they do which leads to some stuff lost in translation and comes out stupid.

4. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes say the wrong word and/or forget a word mid sentance yes. Its not really that much of a problem unless you try denying you made a mistake just admit it and move on like "eh bit of a brainfart i ofcourse meant x not y"

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I will say this, the guy probably thought what you said was stupid but he probably didn't think you were lying. Because most people don't call Manhattan (a borough), most people call it just NYC.

That said, in a conversation, it's more about the confidence of your answer than if your answer is right or wrong.

Aka, you should double down. Say it was Chicago, NY. Tell them it's a few miles away from nyc. Most people don't know every single city/town in their state. There are many cities with the same name in different states.

You feeling stupid is what made the convo turn awkward.

XenoRaku likes this.
  6. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    one time in class
    i was too focused on reading that my teacher and classmates are looking at me
    the teacher asked me to stand up and tell what i'm reading ( i was reading loli h-manga) i still remember the conversation
    me:"uhhh.......comics?"
    teacher:"comics about what?"
    *teacher gets closer*
    me:"hentai"
    *classmates start laughing*
    teacher:"about what?"
    me:"a-action"
    *teacher takes phone*
    *teacher flinched*
    teacher:"action huh? *shows manga around* what's this?"
    i panicked and blurted out
    me:"SHE''S LEGAL!!"
    i don't remember much after that since i was so embarrassed i just want to bang my head in tofu and die

Tsukkin and reagents 11 like this.
  7. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    :notlikeblob:
    That sounds painful.

Well, I always try to not say stupid stuff, so I go very quiet and think a lot when I'm pulled into conversations with people I don't know.

Cosmic_ and XenoRaku like this.
  8. XenoRaku

Reading List:
    Link
    seriously when i saw this thread i remembered "sealed memories" and my urge to kill myself increased by 40%

9. tmark0099

tmark0099 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol
    I have tons of them.
    Once I made fun of people drinking scotch only to realize my father's boss was drinking scotch right next to me and all of our combined families started staring at me. It was beyond awkward.

10. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not chugged into interrogation rooms or scheduled for mandatory correctional lessons afterwards ? You got off pretty lightly.

11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than saying stupid things, I'm bad for suddenly ending conversations like an npc in oblivion. A cousin of mine introduced me to his girlfriend and I was like "Hi, I'm **** how's it going." and she was like "Good, you?" and then I went back to thinking about the dry distillation of wood and everyone around just stared at me waiting for me to say something, but I never did. My brother made fun of me for it later.

12. XenoRaku

Reading List:
    Link
    the whole grade know me
    the phrase "she's legal" is always present everytime i talk to someone

reagents 11 likes this.
  13. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You, my "friend", would do well in parties. This I assure you, would get you the fine lassies who prey on chaps like you. Bid thee farewell to masculinity, my old "friend" for the night is young and everlastingly haunting.:blobsmirk:

14. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiter: ...have a nice meal.
    Me: Thanks, you too.

I know its a meme but fuck goddamit i do this shit often.

Just chuckle to avoid awkwardness.

XenoRaku likes this.