Discussion Scanlators' mass exodus from Mangadex.

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by otaku31, Jun 14, 2019.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like stated in the title, many scanlators' hv taken a unanimous decision to take down their releases from Mangadex. Apparently, there has been a clash of values, with scanlators' accusing Mangadex of trying to strong-arm them, while Mangadex maintains it's nothing more than scanlators' getting greedy, not wanting MD to eat into their profits.

For more info, u can visit https://mangadex.org/thread/92399 and decide 4 yourself.

List of removed manga: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XqnN06TNvRzDGPxsddv7eUYWsG8GFmxcJKe4aw-mPvA/edit (borrowed from this reddit thread)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. venu101

venu101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's never a boring day on the internet if it's not on YouTube it's on Twitter if not there then FB or Reddit or Instagram now here lol.

ebonykun, Matteus, Moy and 6 others like this.
  3. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    yea i've had to go back to using a shitty ad-filled aggregator site cuz there's a lot of great manga i am reading among those being translated by those groups.
    The responses from MD staff in the thread show a remarkable lack of respect towards translators btw
    (i get how ironic that sounds coming from me after saying i'm going to an aggregator site but there isn't exactly a website as usefull as novelupdates for manga)

4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly, I saw the thread in Mangadex and noticed many scans are pulling out. But still, I was kinda hoping they would somehow resolve this, or it is back to having multiple bookmarks again.

Matteus and otaku31 like this.
  5. venu101

Reading List:
    Link
    I went through the post so a question so now the groups mentioned will no longer be posting their scanlations there?

otaku31 likes this.
  6. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    some already have for a while now, for example there's a new chapter of solo leveling that's not on mangadex
    also, i've seen some places where all previous chapters are removed from MD completely aswel (for example: maou sama retry)

otaku31 and venu101 like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow :blobastonished:
    Well, I still read on Batoto and other websites so this doesn't really affect me much :blobsmirk:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
    otaku31 likes this.
  8. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What!? No way...

Well, thanks for telling us. What am I gonna do now? Go back to aggregator sites? (I hope not.)

otaku31 and reagents 11 like this.
  9. venu101

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess gtg to look someplace else for proper updates or something the last time I opened manga rock it's mobile browser site options and all suck and are too tedious after update. The problem with manganelo are that the update for some manga are done very late or they have server problem or partial upload and all that bullcrap not to mention the annoying ads.

10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    and now i miss Onemanga once again. . . .

11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ...crazy odds if Tony decided to create a manga site, which will definitely put NU and SH up in flames though.

Random lurker, kenar and strayCat0 like this.
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh happy day :blobowoevil_horns:
    How dare they steal my money making idea to replace batoto

How dare they sully the purity of batoto with a lame clone

0000000, otaku31 and reagents 11 like this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  14. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh.... why does everyone have to fight, and yeah. the way holo reply was kinda of an ass. also, if they went legit i'll need to see how annoying they gonna be before i nopped the hell outta there

otaku31 likes this.
  15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like a lot of nothing from both sides. Aka, it feels both sides are overreacting for silly reasons.

On a side note, I find it not surprising champion scans is leaving, were they really even there? Most groups have a 1 - 2 day delay with mangadex, champion had a whole month delay.

Maou retry is going to come back I think. The translator left and joined another group.

oliver, Blitz, strayCat0 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really affected by this (as far as i'm aware. i gotta check my few follows on mangadex to see if there's something i missed) but i feel inclined to lean towards Mangadex on this one.

There may be issues that readers dont know about, on both sides, but seemingly cherry picked and cobbled together comments from discord arent exactly the most trustworthy pieces of information. I wouldnt be surprised if there is some monetary aspect to the respective scanlator groups doing this.

Overall, i feel like they're shooting themselves in the foot here because rather than getting attention on the only relatively respected and decent aggregator out there (who does credit the groups) (aside from Dynasty), these shenanigans are going to push people to the shitty aggregators that are ad-laden and dont care about the scanlators.

Looking at the trend of comments on the linked thread, public opinion (including other scanlator groups) seems to be moving towards supporting MD.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    oliver, venu101 and otaku31 like this.
  17. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    But Mangaupdates is already something else entirely... Also, they don't host the mangas themselves

otaku31 likes this.
  18. Fryz

Fryz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ow, that’s too bad...

It feels like war of attrition. Mangadex will certainly lose some traffic, but most of it will go to aggregator etc, not the translator’s sites. Most readers dont really care and just want convenience. So, both sides lost. I wonder who will give in first.

Btw, have any of you found alternative? Maybe the one similar with NU style?

otaku31 likes this.
  19. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    mangaupdates was (and still) a pain in the ass to find website source and editing the links. lots still linking to dead sites ;(

otaku31 and Fryz like this.
  20. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I will do like I do my standards procedure of WN translation before NU.
    >Bookmark every scanlation site then open in a new tab.
    >every day or few times a day.. Or WHEN MY IN GAME STAMINA LOW AND I NEED TO WAIT

Random lurker, Wujigege and otaku31 like this.