Discussion Seal Rogue Mages and Other Criminals of Their Powers

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bright_Lucky_Star, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    What are the methods to seal mages (or martial artists and cultivators) you have read in novels, lore, and worldbuilding project?

If I remember correctly in Mother of Learning in rogue mages and other criminals with magic capability are captured they would be jailed in an underground prison with mana shaping disrupt ward so they can't cast a spell. People who by authority deemed as pretty high ranking mages (who can bypass mana disturber and are notoriously difficult to capture - think of Daimen, Xvim and Kandrei) would be pumped be of all important information straight from their mind with truth potion and mind magic then be executed.

In The Last Science, mages who committed crimes are sent into normal prison just like any other normal people even though they can cast fireballs or conjure lightning from their fingertips.
    Part of it is because magic technology is still in the early stage and not sophisticated enough to create something equivalent to a magical seal, another part is because authority not yet creates regulations and rules for magical people (so judges charged them with the common law). Fortunately, some mages who get jailed are well behaved and accept their sentences. But because The Last Science is based on our modern world
    I think scientists and engineers can come up with something like a thick metal room or any other methods to restrict mages because at the end of the day most of them are still within the realm of humans (at least in early magic development), there are only several people who can cast dimensional magic.

What are other methods do you think can seal a mage's power (or martial artist, cultivator). Also, do you think mages need different regulations and rules than ordinary citizens?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    OP MC

4. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure solitary confinement in tungsten cells would work for most cases. Way on the expensive side, but yeah.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  5. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Anti Magic Manacles..... This specific wording comes from Coiling Dragon, but there are similar types of shackles in many novels, like the seastone (Kairisaki?) shackles in One Piece for example.

Although I do realize that the explanation behind their working is weak at best. They just shrug it off saying it prevents them from using mana.

6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that mean OP Mc can't be restrained and just let them do whatever they want or need someone OP as goverment/rule enforcer to restrain/executed rogue mages/cultivator and highly capable criminals?

7. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    How about a curse that feeds on the person’s mana. Whenever the person does anything or gathers any, the curse just eats it without actually doing anything else to harm the person.

I made that up myself.

Or you could just go avatar

GonZ555 and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  8. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    More like the MC being OP enough could seal all threats. Though it was more of a joke answer.

9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.... The Hamster civilization has never really dealt with the problems regarding entities capable of defying the laws of physics disrupting the order of society due to our entire civilization order being built around such entities (our sacred texts depict the original superior beings such as the first Hamster Overlords being born out of the remains of the King in Yellow, and the lesser beings of flesh are clearly stated to be beneath the beings who can guide the Great Dream of the Creature).
    Still, due to the long periods of wars against the avatars of Absolute Chaos (the Cats and such) we have accrued a sizeable library of methods for dealing with Superior creatures of most ranks (apart from the highest, i.e the Hamsters and the Cats etc)
    So, to answer your questions
    Firstly, regulations must be set. A being capable of magic has a right to stand above the common man. Trying to play-pretend democracy would fail painfully and lead to many loses of innocent lives of the lessers and maybe even the tragic losses of the superiors.
    Order must exist, but morality has to accommodate the circumstances rather than follow unrealistic ideals.
    Secondly, now that superiors are in charge they are to deal with superiors who oppose this rule.
    The rest is just the process of natural selection

Bright_Lucky_Star and Anra7777 like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    *is summoned* *reads post* *desummons self*

Gadget, Lissi and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  11. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Block/cut their meridians or/and acu points or just destroy their Qi/chi/ki center
    Seal their mouths or slit their tongues so they wouldn't chant
    Mess with their brains and its wirings so they can't think, chant nor summon any intent

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2021
  12. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    That might be as good as banishing their power, at least for time being. Just in the case, they can dismantle the curse (highly experienced mages) or get assisted by a corrupt warden, what is next method?
    If I remember in avatar you need to subdue your opponent will before erasing their power, in the process you also opening yourself to their will and chance is it can backfire and they are one who will subdue you will.

13. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Let the prisoner always stay in a coma to avoid them escaping or breaking out of jail.

Gadget and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  14. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    It would require someone else to break the curse cause the person would need mana to cast the spell to undo it. No mana, it can’t be undone.

In the sequel avatar, there was also the option of messing with the flow of the bodies blood to stop bending. If you mess with the bodies internal flow, it might be made so the body can’t produce the mana/ki.

Another would be remove that which generates mana in the body, if that is possible

Or make it so that the person has no mana tank. If the person can’t store mana, then spell casting will be hard

15. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    Solitary confinement with no one to talk to and warden only bring you necessary items once a while, I can see how that can be nightmare inducing :blobsweat_2:

You can't do that, you are mighty wizard hamster, you need to give some explanation about some of your brethren who cause trouble to society and protect my muggle life.

16. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a fluffy white polar bear like @Bad Storm who hugs criminals. Those she hugs become weaklings with no mana ability what so ever and it can’t be undone unless she licks their face.

17. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    A mere mortal, daring to command a Hamster (Well, not a Hamster per se, @Anra7777 isn't a purebred Hamster but she clearly has some ancestry with our noble clan which automatically puts her above mere humans on the food chain so the point still stands but I digress)

18. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Most novels use the common throwaway of there being some natural material that disrupts and or seals all magic/qi usage. It is by far the most common and also the laziest.

In super power novels I see some.... some less lazy ideas. They use science and or magic to customize each cell for every prisoner. They will make cells in advance for the real bad villains so when they get caught they can be immediately trapped. For instance if the villain has great ice powers the cell would be made to be extremely hot so ice could not be formed to use as an escape.
    Think of Magnetos cell from X-Men.

There is also the classic, someone has the ability to steal of nullify powers/magic and they work with the authorities.

For qi and martial artists I feel the go to is just outright destroying the dantian and the imprisoning them in tougher jail cells.

In Magic worlds and cultivation there is often throwing them in different dimensions and throwing away the key. Often prison dimensions where all the criminals fight and kill each other.

Lots of isekai and novels of that ilk do slave collars for their bad elements, to be fair though it is mostly just used on the innocent for power and money and that's what most all the novels focus on.

I'm sure there are more ways I've seen and can't remember. I'll add more if I remember them.

Gadget and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  19. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course I’m not going to tell you my weaknesses or allow you to test your traps on me!

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  20. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    For stories where the magic rules require chanting or voice activated spells. A magical deterrent would be some sort of Silence or Mute spell. But really, if that was possible, you may as well just cast Sleep on them. For physical deterrent, you can use gagging. Of course, that comes with the risk of needing to ungag them during meal times. You can go all the way and just cut off their tongues.

Similarly, there are some magic settings that require hand gestures for spell, magic circles, array, and formation construction. Some method of impeding the fingers, hand, or arms would be used. A localized Paralysis spell would do.