Request Seeing empty square boxes "" instead of special symbol/emoji

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Astaroth, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: Just noticed none of the symbols seem to work on NUF so they don't show in the title or text but basically lots of symbols look like "☐" for me.

Is there some way to fix that? I don't really care that much about emojis, but I've also noticed that this happens sometimes when I'm reading novels, especially RPG ones, presumably there's some symbol(s) being used for the status screens and what not that I simply can't see on my PC for some reason.

For example, just now I saw a couple of empty boxes in a youtube comment and (Sheep Emoji in case it's an empty box for anyone else.) It was just a random comment with a bunch of animals listed, but one good thing about this is that it said the name of the animals next to the icons as well, so for once I at least knew what the empty square box was supposed to be...

p.s. and yes I really should've made this thread after seeing it in some novel, but I didn't think about it then...

p.p.s actually just realized this, but apparently even though they all look like empty square boxes, you can copy & paste search them and they're all unique, so even though I can't see (camel) and (goat) on my PC, they came up with the correct search result.

So now the question is just how do I make my PC able to read these missing symbols?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    By thinking outside of the ☐.:blobflag:

3. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on your Browser, OS or Language...
    You are most likely missing the fonts.

Freezy and oliver like this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Search the web for a software (or browser extension)that will make your computer read those symbols (install them) or the hard way by coding them yourself and adding them to your computer (probably as an addon to your browser, but well, it is up to you)

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    How do I find out what fonts are missing? There's guides at how to install fonts, so that's not a problem, but idk which ones...

6. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally your Browser handles that itself. At most you can clear your temporary files (cache, cookies, etc.) and pray your browser manages to figure it out...

7. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the symbol does not appear because they are eaten.