Request Seeking culinary advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Baldingere, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    My house has an apple tree that gives us a lot of big, sour apples. These apples are not nice to eat. But can be used for cakes. However there are too many to make cakes with. My mom's alternatives are 1 making us eat them 2 making compote
    My mom thus makes compote, that is apples+water, stewed till it's melted together. It's very sour. And she serves it with dinner, for breakfeast, for tea time... And I don't like it. It's so sour!! I could add sugar, but mixing it into it isn't really tasty.
    Recently, to help my mom, I have been the one collecting the apples and making compote. And if I'm the one to make it, I might as well make it into something I can stomach.
    1. I've tried spices. Christmas mix, cinnamon or cardamom. My family aren't fans of it, except vanilla or in small quantities.
    2. I've tried adding fresh cream. My mom doesn't like the taste, and says it gets bad faster and it adds fat for nothing. So dairy products are out.
    Compote isn't something that sparks my creativity, and I'm running out of ideas. I'd rather not use alcohols. Do you guys have advice to give?
    I'm considering stewing the apples in jasmine tea next time. Do you think that would sweeten them?

2. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm, how about making juice? Or, get plain yoghurt and honey, then add the apples you've diced or however you cut them? I sometimes (well, most times) get hungry and plain yoghurt+additional topping(s) are my saving grace.

3. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Try making a shake out of it?
    Granted i haven't tried sour apples but maybe try mixing those apples with some bananas and condensed milk, you can swap the bananas with sweet mangoes.

Baldingere likes this.
  4. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a Cold Pressed Slow Juicer.
    Then juice the Apples along with Carrot/Beetroot/Spinach/etc.
    It is very tasty.
    You can use the residue for cakes, breads, scrambled egg, ground meat/minced meat dish, etc.

Personally, I use Kuvings B1700

Baldingere likes this.
  5. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe try adding syrup, but i’ve never actually made compote before (or even heard of it for that matter), so i doubt it’ll actually turn out nicely though… I don’t like eating (or cooking) fruits particularly, but I used to like soaking apples in a little bit of sugared water, just enough to cover the apple’s surface and freezing it in a bag.

Baldingere likes this.
  6. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about making an apple pickle? Might as well put that sour taste to use.

Baldingere likes this.
  7. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried making confiture?
    I personally am a fan of apple rhubarb confiture.

Baldingere likes this.
  8. Serapheid

Serapheid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Baldingere likes this.
  9. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    soak it with honey, then you can it with honey...or you can make a jam out of them...then you can use the jam for cakes and breads...

10. Aniv2008

Aniv2008 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Apple chips... yum

11. Arrynne

Arrynne 『Bubo scandiacus』『Owl in NEED of Saving』

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try and turn it to cider or alcohol... You can make a business out of it too.

12. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best shake I ever had was at a vegetarian place that used apples, bananas, soy milk, green-blue algae, and a bit of honey. They also closed on Saturday and Sunday nights until they eventually closed their doors; that is hippies for you.

Seigin likes this.
  13. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK how to sweeten a sour apple, but if it's me, I'll cut them, soak them w/ salt water then use them for salad

Baldingere likes this.
  14. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd try caramelized apple for that

Baldingere likes this.
  15. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Russian Pastila - an aerated Apple confection, basically marshmallows.

Or if all else fails, plant food. Compost it with other organics, especially lawn clipping and leaves. Better yet, worm food.

Llamadragon and Baldingere like this.
  16. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Apple Jam, apple tart, apple cider, apple juice, apple pudding, etc.

17. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    Baldingere likes this.
  18. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone made so many great suggestions. I pretty much would have said the same. So I’ll just go with my favorite.
    Those top 5 are-
    Cider (I know you said you didn’t want a alcoholic idea, but they are my favorite).
    Shake/ Smoothie. A combination of apples, bananas and strawberries +
    Jam
    Juice
    Sauce

I wish you luck

Baldingere likes this.
  19. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your answers everyone!
    I like the idea of pickles, dried apples and freezing apples to use when needed. Seems uncomplicated and I don't have to worry about us not eating it timely. I think I'll try jam too, I don't eat it but my family will. It works for large quantities too.
    I made cupcakes with some of the apples. I have a lot of great apple cake recipes, and it's always fun to make. I should look for a cookie recipes, that would stay good longer. Like that Pastila recipe, looks tasty!

20. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad you've find your answers :cookie: I don't have anything else to contribute :blobxd: but reading this reminds me of my own issues... But it's guava. They're flowering outside at the moment, oh man, I can already imagine that mountains of more guavas than we know how to deal with. Over time, the trees grow bigger and producing more and more but we still don't really know how to deal with them :blobrofl:

The last time we tried to sell, we got about equal to 0.3 usd for ~10 kg of it... simply not worth the effort. We usually give them out to neighbors, and every guest who comes over. But there are just so many we can give to each person... And there are 5 trees in the backyard, the biggest tree happens to fruit the least pleasant-tasting ones so we keep them for ourselves, then the issue persists. Not a small amount ends up getting bad and just got returned to earth. We also left some in the trees for bats, birds, squirrels, probably badgers, or other small animal's dinner.

I still really like this fruit and I can eat a lot, fresh or juiced, but I also have a sense of measure, and sometimes we got fed up just by looking at so many of them. We make them into jam, pretty good solution for preserving long-term and it tastes good a bit like honey with an added sourness, and then use the jam in various baked goods, to spread on bread, dissolving it in water like instant drink or for eating as it is when I feel sad in the middle of the night.

There's still a jar left from the last season and the new season is coming >.<

Tech is life and Baldingere like this.