LCD Seoul Station’s Necromancer

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Faust, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Changing from won to dollars is probably in the original story. Anyway I'm sure you'll get over it. Money isn't that important in this story.

Arbalest, Bad Storm and mrttao like this.
  2. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't see a Korean author changing from won to dollar when they are in Korea.

And yes I do get over it but my only question was if the tler ever became consistent. Like if he constantly changed the mc name between a English version and Korean version. Be annoying.

3. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's even more unlikely that a translator would change the currency from won to dollars for no reason. It's more likely he's translating what's written. It's also not inconceivable that a product that's traded a lot internationally would be thought of in dollars.

mrttao likes this.
  4. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    No, a tler or an editor is likely to change the currency from won to dollar because to his readers it is easier to get an idea the worth of something. It also doesn't take away from the meaning by changing currency and also helps readers so it is something that is done.

I am also going in 1st hand experience here as I have gone through such a situation myself if we should keep foreign currency or change it something the readers will understand. Nothing wrong with doing it as long as you keep currency consistent and you keep the price difference between currency the same.

5. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I am still reading the novel, and yes as no1 bothered to answer my question ill answer it myself. The tler does finally get consistent with currency and just uses dollars.

6. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While somewhat plausible, you are blaming the tler entirely based on your own conjecture. Pull out the raws and check it for yourself. Or at least look at machine translation to see what the original said

7. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't you also going by your own conjecture that the raws did the same. Author switching doesn't make sense but mine does. Reasoning is on my side

8. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    And Korean raws cause migraines...requires massive edits to be readable.

9. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not declaring it must be the author, I only asked you why you think it was the translator.

That said, reasoning is not in fact on your side. The authors in question are basically paid fanfic writers who are paid by the word and number of followers. They are very prone to completely butchering numbers, keep no notes, do not plan the story ahead of time, and do other inconsistent things.

10. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    Keeping the currency the same I'd a basic thing even if they butcher numbers. Especially if it's the currency of their own country and takes place in their country also.

Changing from won to dollar to won is a tler or editor decision here

11. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yet I have seen authors butcher both. I have seen authors mix up ages of characters. First the little sister is 8 and MC is 16, then the little sister is suddenly actually 2 years old than the MC. MC has millions of silver, then it is suddenly gone...

You keep on insisting that this is a fact, when it is just your guess based on false assumptions and lack of knowledge about the type of stories you are reading.

It is equally liable to be the author or the translator.

Also, Seoul Station Necromancer involves the MC travelling internationally. He starts out in south korea, then spends some time in USA, goes to china, goes to north korea...
    It is perfectly reasonable for the character to use dollars in the USA and Won in south korea

Have you considered it is not even a mistake at all? but the author adjusting things as the MC travels to different nations?

12. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    No, as the switch happened while he was in Korea and hadn't even left Korea after coming back. Easy to tell it was tler and editor. By when it started and when it ended. Idk why u are so against it being the tler or editor.

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... which part of "it could be either the author or the tler" did you not understand?

I am not againt it being the tler, I am against your assertion that it is FACT that is the tler based entirely on your "logic", and your refusal to accept the author being responsible as a possibility.

Throughout this entire argument I was very clear that this is my position, and repeatedly stated it. And you have been very clear that there is a 0% chance that it is the author and it must absolutely be the tler (or edit.. which, usually doesn't exist so just the tler).
    I seriously doubt you have bothered to research it in such depth. Since you absolutely refuse to even look at the machine translation to confirm.
    Can you even tell me exactly when it started and ended?

14. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, this is pretty decent novel but I can't stand these lackey characters that follow mc everywhere. Like Sunggoo. I mean he doesn't need him and way he was introduced was just so random. Especially in dungeons skeletons could just do Sunggoo's job. You see this same character many times in Chinese novels and it bugs me so much, many times it being the "fatty" character. All they exists for is to be bossed around, flatter and be an comedic relief, and somehow they seem to be inserted everywhere in the story.
    Also how mc stays with Juming doesn't make sense, he just reunited with his family and he's staying with some random person? He does that to hide something? But that's just stupid because when he does something strange it's pretty much in dungeons or outside, and his family knows he's an roused so there's really not much to hide, or actual reason to hide. And honestly if character like Sunggoo knows his abilities, I don't see why it matters if his family sees some of his abilities.
    It just seems like author wanted characters Sunggoo and Juming in the story and made it happen, didn't really matter if it made any sense. Overall "why" things happen with these characters don't make sense.

15. ellype

ellype Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey, at least he totes got laid in the end

16. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, did you take a bitter pill or something?

You think having them feels bland, but not having them makes the story more bland.

Imagine Dora the Explorer, where you only have a few set of characters and you deal with them for 500 or so episodes doing practically the same thing but with few variations.

Yes, I know my example sucks. My point is they are there to prevent you from feeling something worse.

userunfriendly likes this.
  17. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Never seen Dora. :ROFLMAO:

18. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Consider yourself lucky :blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:

19. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Im still traumatized by Teletubbies...:eek::eek::eek:

20. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You had to mention that :blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek: