Series Finder Update

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 20, 2022.

?

Have You Heard of the Series Finder?

1. Yes

76 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not going to make a big announcement because it's not a big update but I would like some feedback and bug reports so I'm posting it here.

I just updated the Series Finder to include searching of groups, original publisher, English publisher and searching for titles by words.

[​IMG]

Please report any bugs you find in this thread. Thanks!

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. myfakeaccount

myfakeaccount Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yayy its finally here :blobparty:

Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. Brooom

Brooom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that is great! Could the word/title/description search also be implemented in the Recommendation Lists feature?
    Because right now you can only search by tags and series as far as I know, but not every recommendation list uses tags.

Eccentricstate and SwordEmpress like this.
  5. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Search for hidden gems intensifies!!

6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:Now we start the Bug Finder Event, the ones who gets those bugs will get nuffies from Tony... I mean NU Status Bot:blobhero:

7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_pompom::blobtaco::blob_pompom::blobtaco:

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the hard work~

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is such a great idea.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay for searching titles by words!!!!

11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice handy new updates!

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww:blobmelt_thumbs
    Been waiting for this! Off to find if it searches just titles or also relevant titles like the regular search. I am assuming it will not search summaries? The search by group is going to be huge for those with larger porfolios. Excited regardless~~ :blobphone:

13. Ahmya

Ahmya mammiyaah~

Reading List:
    Link
    its actually pretty helpful but it looks too crowded but it'll get used to it anyway...

Nom de Plume likes this.
  14. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2022-4-21_17-43-37.png

Shield Loyalist and Nom de Plume like this.
  15. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the additional Series Finder filters Tony. Especially being able to search for specific words via "Series Contains", as I can definitely recall several occasions when I wanted to use such a search filter in the past.
    ---------------
    If the Series Finder is getting some love at the moment, then I'd love to see one of the following (or both) features added:

1) A second Tag Filter, so that you can conduct the following type of search.

Tag Filter 1: Tag#A OR Tag#B
    AND
    Tag Filter 2
    : Tag#X OR Tag#Y

Which you can't do with a single Tag Filter because AND and OR are mutually exclusive, and can't be used at the same time. And searching for Tag#A OR Tag#B OR TagX OR TagY, which you can currently do, will find you the same novels (I think), but along with a load of other novels that don't match the first example. Meaning you have to manually check the tags for each novel in the search results to see if it contains at least one tag from each pairing. And this is just searching for four tags split into two pairs. So obviously the time required to check the tags, and the number of results found, both increase corresponding in relation to the number of tags being filtered.

2) An option to add all the novels found via a search to a (temporary) reading list (and temporary to conserve server storage. If that's a concern. And to stop user's reading lists getting bloated with reading lists added via this feature, and which they forget to delete). The use for this feature would be to allow the user to achieve the above in two steps. So they could search for Tag#A OR Tag#B, use the "Add all the results to a reading list" option, then search that reading list for Tag#X OR Tag#Y. This feature would also allow the user to effectively have an unlimited number of Tag Filters, since they could keep adding the results to a new reading list each time they passed the results through a new round of Tag Filters.
    (Edit. The main idea behind creating this (temporary) list is so that the user can use it in conjunction with the Series Finder's Reading List [Include]/[Exclude] filter, thereby allowing the user to filter a set of search results, and as such function as a second, third, etc. Tag Filter I suggested above in 1. With suggestion 2a below, being a different way of implementing the same functionality).

2a) The above functionality can also be achieved without the need for a "Add all results to a (temporary) reading list" feature by implementing a "Search/Filter THESE results" feature. So when you are presented with the search results, alongside the "Filter" option in the top right-hand corner, there would be a "Filter these results" option alongside it (or somewhere else), and when selected, would take you to a new empty filter screen (rather than the previous filter screen that has your previous search filter pre-selected), and then the new filter would only apply to the novels in the previous search results, and NOT all the novels in the database.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  16. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand, regarding #2 and #2a (aside from the Save to Reading List function you suggested) what you want is that users would be able to get the search result without having to add and check all the filters. Need to check whether this is still functional with the new update but as far as I know, the Series Finder search result URL can be saved in order to get you to the result page without having to set the filters one by one. When on the page, you just have to click the Filters to show what Filter you have checked and refine the search but the refined search won't be from the search result but from the whole database.

17. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite. Being able to reproduce the search results without having to reapply the (same) filters again is not a problem, precisely because of what you mention. i.e. Saving the URL of a search. And I already have several bookmarks for the filters I most frequently search for (which seem to be working fine after the update). Although saving the URL doesn't actually save a list of searched novels, since it's only a way of saving a set of search results, the results of which can (and will) change over time as tags are edited (not least because of new novels being added). Though granted, the novels found will be near enough the same each time. That is unless someone went OTT with removing tags.

So while the "Add all the search results to a reading list" in suggestion #2 would be an alternative method for the user to save the results of a (previous) search, this isn't its main objective. As the main objective is to have a (quick) way of adding all the results to a reading list so that this list can then be used with the Reading List [Include]/[Exclude] filter in the Series Finder. Thereby allowing the user to restrict the Series Finder, via [Include]. to only novels on the list that was created from the "Add all the search results to a reading list" (I should probably have mentioned the usage I envisioned in my suggestion. Done).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  18. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Bro don't jinx me like that bro.....:blobsob:

This was the reason for my "aside from" comment in the post before this. I like the idea of being able to export the search result into a reading list for my future perusals. The added option of being able to filter the reading list itself is very appealing too.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be a little odd with multiple reading lists. If this happens, I’d like it to only add novels not already in another list.

20. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like sometimes the series finder sorting is not quite right?
    And also, sometimes the options I put in do not get inserted properly. The excluding and including options.