Discussion Sexism in xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I Eat Monsanto, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...It's only a story. We don't tend to label a story character as sexist because "sexist" is something that you would use in real life to accuse a living person when you intend to ruin them. It's silly calling a character sexist because there's no reward in ruining their reputation. If the term were ever to be used on a story, it would be toward an author in order to dissuade other readers from checking out the story.

Yes, story characters may exhibit sexist characteristics, but you will either label them as scum or heroes-with-a-pass with appropriate conclusions to either. In other words, it's lumped in together with the other character traits.

As for story women that exhibit it, I think they're seen as empowered or something. That said, it can be overdone. Most stories that overdo it tend to lose popularity fast.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    barashkafromro likes this.
  2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see it all the time.

barashkafromro likes this.
  3. dorque

dorque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i remember that zuo mo specifically slaughtered all the most beautiful women in that one lotus sect for looking at him funny and for trying to seduce him , and also for enslaving all males as poison ridden xiu slaves ( in world of cultivation) after they escape from the yao army and kill that bloody sky grandmaster

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That is also totally not true. Sects have hierarchy. If the young master of the head of the sect assaults a female, do you think anyone is going to do anything? Sects have rankings and as you saw how they treat their lower members. Sure if you are a star talent than gender matters little. But anything below that depends on your luck and the whims of the young masters above you.

5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    ... I don't know what in the world you are reading that describes the males jade like skin...

6. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial World off the top of my head.

7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Something with bruce banner as the name of the MC..

8. dorque

dorque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    said example from world of cultivation chapter 315 :
    Shu Long found Zuo Mo. His expression was grave, and his eyes pained and sorrowful, “Boss, come look.”

Zuo Mo stilled, and followed Shu Long into an extremely deep cave in the mountain valley. When he saw the terrifying scene, his skin uncontrollably prickled.

Hundreds of xiu slaves had all kinds of strange ling flowers tangled on their bodies. The roots of these ling flowers were rooted in their bodies. Their gazes were unfocused, strange smiles on their faces. The ling flowers on their bodies were alluring as they were blooming. However, Zuo Mo who possessed Ling Eyes could clearly see the vitality of these xiu slaves were slowly being lost.

It seemed as though something suddenly exploded inside Zuo Mo’s body. An unprecedented anger swept his body like it was burning. He suddenly gripped Su Yue’s throat, and jerked her in front. Su Yue’s face was twisted as her eyes showed pain. Zuo Mo’s viciousness and brutality made her feel terror.

“You group of scum!”

Zuo Mo squeezed the words one by one through his teeth. His hand tightened and crushed Su Yue’s throat!

Su Yue’s gaze became muddled. Even until death, she could not understand how Zuo Mo could bear to act against her? Countless people showed goodwill towards her, and used all kinds of methods to curry her favour. She had always assumed no man would willingly kill her because of her unparalleled appearance!

As long as she was docile and obedient, they wouldn’t bear to.

Zuo Mo distastefully threw Su Yue to the ground.

9. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also 'Ultimate Scheming System' if you've read up to date on the raws.

10. ahmadeyief

ahmadeyief Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. 99 others

99 others Sleep is for the weak.

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobxd: hah.. what the hell..

12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay... but it doesn't do that every time the character does something right? Cause in most xianxia, pretty much every action a female character does is sexualized.

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  13. Mister Div

Mister Div ? ¿ Founder of The Anti loli Alliance!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I blame Marvel...

Asf likes this.
  14. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    This is something I've questioned since I was like 2 and first heard the phrase "Boys shouldn't hit girls" My first thought was reversing it and asking "So its ok for girls to hit boys?"

15. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, I said what I wanted to say and that was it, I never actually wanted to sit here and argue with anyone. Besides, don't try and sugar coat shit, you guys aren't trying to have a nice debate you're just trying to shut me up with quanity

16. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never knew rape was a special treatment women get

ognarb and barashkafromro like this.
  17. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    The author has spent quite a bit of time talking about LM's perfectly aligned muscles and such but he does take the time to talk about the women too.

18. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    when a women avoids all punishment because she's beautiful. Them women getting raped afterwards is the authors wierd fetish so go yell at him instead of me, and how about you stop trying to misconstrue what I said

19. kingreal92

kingreal92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name one beauty that Lin Ming killed tho

20. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well maybe you should stop picking out novels from a whole batch to complain about in your bait thread. And I would argue it's sexist how the MC is always going on a rape festival. It's a novel, one made by China. You can't exactly apply real world logic too it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.