Discussion Sexism in xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I Eat Monsanto, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigaknife

Gigaknife 1v1 MW, King, No M4, No 725

Reading List:
    Link
    Whew, this bread is bound to create a surge of.... Uninformed opinions.

2. Drake888

Drake888 That one guy. You know, the one over there.

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a fucking hilarious thread. Seriously? You are worried about sexism because a woman killed some men for being men in xianxia? Xianxia is filled with men killing other men for any reason. You didn't get out of the way fast enough? Time to die. You want to stop me from raping your sister? Time to die. You dare ask ME to pay my bill? Time to die.
    Seriously. Almost every xianxia has a stepping stone character who tries to kill the MC for a stupid reason and is shocked when it fails for the first time. The reason for killing is never important. As for sexism, it is very heavily in the opposite direction. You are right that males never kill a woman for being a woman, but that's because they are too busy using women as sex objects. It is rare to find a xianxia with a woman who is free to choose her own sexual partner. It is always the MC trying to circumvent the plans of her parent or the antagonist.
    I know you are complaining about this villainous woman killing men because they are men, but try to remember all the villainous xianxia men who rape any woman they can get their hands on. That's a better parallel.

3. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    The author is using jade-like crystal clear flesh to describe how pure and strong his body has become. The author wasn't sexualizing him in any way and I think you very well know that.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that just power fantasy though? And it's not like he does it every time they walk down the street or do an action.

5. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sexist doesn't mean you're murderous against them. He doesn't fight them that often and when he does it's often in an area he can't kill them. I guess you can say he killed that girl in the dream world though. At any rate if he's killed them it's probably not mentioned like when he's destroying sects.

6. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    um have you gone outside. I find it funny that people are acting like women on avg can hit as hard as men. Not only that but they run around throwing punches like a boxer.

Anyway i find this thread extreme dumb. I remember on xianxai where the MC male rapes a women that he was fighting. After being rape she was the first women of his harem.

ognarb likes this.
  7. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    lmao, I say a simple truth that you don't wanna hear and suddenly it's bait. Well to keep in line with your metaphor, I hate fish. Me making this thread is like me throwing flower petals into a pond, I just like the way the petals look while floating on the water's surface and never once tried attracting any fish. You're just the starved piranhas ready to snap at anything

8. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

Indeed. That's why I stick to wheat bread. It is bland and wholesome and doesn't excite my emotions.

9. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    cool

10. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not that time. That's just a most recent example of what Inv said that I could think of. It was literally translated this week. Like I said the author has gone on about LM's perfect body and how handsome and heroic he is multiple times.

11. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

It isn't seen as an issue because women aren't really seen as human. I have not read the novel in question but I'm willing to bet that the woman you're talking about is either going to be killed by the MC because she's unforgivably evil or she will wind up hopelessly in love with him because he's the first man she's met that has some particular trait (sees her as a person, looks beyond some flaw, defeats her, etc).

ognarb likes this.
  12. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

Indeed. I am very cool. Thanks for noticing.

13. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone thusfar has proven themselves incapable of reading (not that I'm surprised, this is the going trend for threads like this) but I'll go ahead and quote myself:

Like I've been saying since the beginning, it isn't about whether men are sexist, it's about the fact that women being sexist isn't frowned upon while men being sexist is. So all of you who are so quick to bring up rape for no fucking reason and everyone else who keeps trying to list as many examples of men being sexist as possible, congratulations. You played yourself. You've just proved that you don't know how to read since I've been repeating the same thing since the beginning.

14. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't metaphors supposed to make sense. How the hell am I supposedto understand that

ognarb likes this.
  15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    But again, that is self gratification for the MC, and even if it is done multiple times its generally in showmanship, not in every action he does. And what about non-MC male characters?

Not to mention, compare "prince charming" shown in shoujo to the MCs descriptions and see if they match.

16. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    "It isn't seen as an issue because women aren't really seen as human."

PATRIARCHY!! *autistic screeching*

"I'm willing to bet that the woman you're talking about is either going to be killed by the MC because she's unforgivably evil"

So when men get killed for looking at the MC funny that's fucking classic but somehow it's wrong for a woman who derives joy from torturing men to be killed?

17. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    You could always educate yourself, kindergarten is a good place to start.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh IDK what make you think like that~ really~

19. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And that's where you are wrong.
    If the son of a sects elder want to rape an outer court female, he can (in most sects described in stories) do so without consequences (save being killed by the MC).

An all female sect offers protection a mixed gender sect won't in mainly TWO different ways:
    1) Protection from males WITHIN the Sect (tell me five mixed gender sects, that do NOT have at least ONE of those guys)

2) If a female goes to her sects elders and tells them, that she was raped, their reactions might span from helping her get revenge (depending on her talent) to just ignore her to force her to marry the rapist (as a concubine).
    If it's an all female sect, the chances are higher, that they'll get revenge for her. And even if they don't, at least their disciples will (unless forced to) stay away from the rapist as much as possible, to prevent becoming a victim themself.
    Either way, the consequences of raping a member of an all-female sect tend to be harsher than raping a member of an "normal" sect of equal strength.

The problem is not about protection from monsters or the like (that is equal). It is about protection from human (males) that make all-female sects a neccessarity in most novels.

20. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright dude.

Looking through the thread i recommend MGTOW. Might be better to discuss the "prevalence of sexisim against men in Chinese webnovels" with them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.