Discussion Sh!t is hitting the fan for Glorified Gambling Part 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by tahzib1451, Sep 18, 2018.

1. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    part 2 of the war against glorified gambling....if EU does it, the whole world follows it....

2. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally see this as a continuation of the problems caused by the introduction of micro-transactions in games. I personally have never cared for games requiring subscriptions, especially if you have to already pay to physically own the game (WoW is a big one there). Adding on item shops and whatnot that basically turn otherwise balanced gameplay into Pay-to-Win scenarios is even worse.

'Loot Boxes', where random chance is part of the markup in order to keep people coming back for more, is the very definition of gambling in any case. If the purchaser has no clear description of what they are purchasing, and thus cannot get their's money worth, then that is gambling. Thus I see no problem with the practice being outlawed or regulated via gambling laws on state or country levels.

Someguy666 and runsing like this.
  3. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what do you expect from a company that has been on the decline for the last decade or so ....

4. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would the world follow the EU rule?

5. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    "unlicensed". that's their real problem with the boxes. they want their cut.

has there been any statement from japan? if they can't get japan on board, i don't see things making a significant enough impact.

6. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a reminder for those who don't know about EA:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes. As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay. We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets. Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

7. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont really mind lootboxes like in tf2 but the way that EA uses them..... they gotta go

8. GamingSpud

GamingSpud Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand EU is such a big part of the market that if EU regulates lootboxes, companies that are forced to comply might as well do so for their entire target market since it wouldn't be worth the effort to develop both a lootbox based progression system and a lootbox-free progression system in games.

9. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Any time you start hearing meaningless political bullcrap that basically gives you no real information as responses from a company you can be pretty sure it's run by fat cats who don't care.

Sabruness likes this.
  10. Noitrus

Noitrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh I really hope that EA will get the heaviest fine possible for trying to challenge restrictions. After all, they are so vehemently standing up to nothing else but their own bottomless greed. If there'd be a possibility for worse punishment I'd definitely wish for that, sadly there'd most likely won't be.

11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this an issue?
    I'm seeing tons of memes about EU banning memes. That seems like that issue is much bigger.

12. Noitrus

Noitrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not all EU restrictions being loaded are rational and well received, I admit some things are quite questionable, however the one concerning EA and other major publishers with lootboxes and glorified gambling is totally deserved. They (the publishers) ignored all the warnings and continued to push it and now are facing the intervention of governments in return.

While this glorified gambling is nothing but bad for consumers, although all of those publishers try their hardest to convince everyone that they are giving "player choice, none is forced to buy anything" yet anyone who can think is able to see it's the opposite. Every game with the the lootboxes and gambling are constructed around those things as a core. Every single player is silently pressured to spend extra cash in every such game, otherwise they made the game more difficult for themselves, how is that choice? These greedmongers should be be stripped naked and thrown on the streets, nothing less.

13. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta wait January 2019 for the definitive answer
    But as of now, the road leads to the ban unless it is decided otherwise.

14. sudokun

sudokun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching because I'm too deep inside the gacha games

15. Silvarion

Silvarion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "EA" ? what's EA? and what's loot box? if loot box is paying to get a "chance" to get premium goods... why did I never encounter the word "loot box" ?

16. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    The companies exist to make money. The lootboxes are making money. I don't see how it connects to gambling though. I play tons of gacha games and haven't felt any pressure to pay anything. I invest around $100 every year into gacha games in total and I'm totally happy with that payment.

I also play Overwatch and I've never paid for any lootboxes. They're not forcing or even requiring lootboxes. It's only companies like EA that are ruining lootboxes. It should be the people who have extra money and can't be bothered unlocking content themselves that purchase lootboxes.

Thanks for the timeline.

17. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    there is a difference between a gacha game and a AAA title...u r not paying for the gacha game...u r paying for the items that u purchase ingame...but AAA titles r full blown package that costs $60-$100...and when u buy it u expect it to have all the contents.....not a broken game with features missing or locked behind slot machines....

Sabruness likes this.
  18. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Hooray for gambling, make you win a little but lose a massive

19. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that you're only replying to the part of my post that's convenient for you. In my opinion purchasing currency in gacha games is much more like gambling than lootboxes. We literally call them gacha games... which is basically gambling.

Also, those broken games with features missing or locked behind slot machines are the ones which have day-one DLC. Those aren't even lootboxes...

I don't think there's anything wrong with lootboxes. As I said in my previous reply I've been playing Overwatch for years and I actually like the way Blizzard has implemented loot boxes. I've never had to buy any lootboxes but I still enjoy the game. I'll say it again. There's nothing wrong with lootboxes. The problem is the way that certain companies implement lootboxes.

20. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are ways loot boxes can be done correctly and incorrectly. Smite has the worst loot box system from my experience because you can only buy most skins through loot boxes. The catch is that these loot boxes have emotes, skins, icons, wards, etc. So if you want one specific skin out the 64+ items in the loot box category (Halloween loot for instance) you have to be really lucky. At times I even got skins for gods/goddesses I absolutely loathe in that game or even buy dozens of loots before you finally get that skin.

In League of Legends, the loot box system is at least somewhat balanced as its more tied to player rewards rather than micro transactions. You can get a loot box from getting an -S, S, or S+ with a champion or from your friends achievements, quests, or even buy it directly from the store. Thankfully, you can buy the vast majority of champion skins from the store directly. Although, there are some skins (Hextech skin line) that are loot box only such as needing 10 gemstones, but there are even better skins than those freely available to purchase directly. Loot boxes here contain skin shards, wards, emotes, icons, gems, some event resources during special occasions.

In a way you could argue that boosters packs for card games function the same way as loot boxes in a virtual environment.

Trivia:

In Japan, people play pachinko quite a lot, especially the elderly that are retired. Big corporations and idols are even behind it.

In US, people buy lotteries too much especially at gas stations or some grocery stores.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    kenar and oblueknighto like this.