Spoiler Sha Po Lang

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by celiac, Mar 5, 2018.

1. celiac

celiac Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i gave up 9 chapter in bc it was losing me but apparently its 8

Tintl likes this.
  2. Tintl

Tintl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So,an 8 year difference...
    That’s not too bad, though... so, I WILL ATTEMPT IT!!

3. Tintl

Tintl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love angsty Yaoi with HE but the only ones I could find so far we’re
    Heroic Death and Transmigrating into a Mob Character
    So do you have any others you could share?
    And if/when you mtl this could you tell if there’s a lot of angst in it? Or give some example some of the angst?

4. silverstr

silverstr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love "angsty yaoi with HE" too! I'll definitely check out the ones you've listed! I recommend reading Qizi. It's one of my faves. I cried so much while reading it, and it has a HE...for at least the main CP. X3

Tintl likes this.
  5. celiac

celiac Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I could understand:

MC is teenager who grew up on bad terms with his mother, like it's revealed that she has attempted to murder him SEVERAL times in the past, only sparing him at the last moment. The mother was kidnapped by bandits and pretty much everyone thinks that his biological father was one of those bandits. Mother ends up escaping when bandits lower their guard and she poisons them. She gives MC the poison too but forces it out of him when he drinks it. But outside of his mother occasionally trying to kill him, they pretend to be happy family in the eyes of the public and when her husband comes home.
    Even when MC was deathly ill, the only one who cared for him was ML.

ML is this steam punk engineer dude. His eyesight and hearing are weak, but he can somewhat see and hear. A running gag in the earlier chapters is that when his 'brother' gives him chores, he pretends he cant hear. ML wants to formally adopt MC (rn he acts as a godfather of sorts).

MC and ML goes to see a phoenix (i dont know exactly, but its some sort of mechanical steam blimp designed like a bird of some sort) dock, supposedly bringing home army troops. The docking used to be a spectacle, but because of how long the war has lasted, people have mostly lost interest. But ML really wanted to go and MC wanted to have an excuse to get away from his mother, so they went together.

There was a scene where MC and ML get separated and MC hears that somebody fell into the water at the docks. MC thought it was ML and immediately jumped in. It was actually a little kid and ML scolds MC for jumping in and playing hero. MC feels wronged and runs home. ML notes that for some reason the phoenix seemed lighter than usual.

MC's mother beckons MC to her room and they have a talk. It's revealed that mother is from the country that they are currently warring against ('man' tribe?) and her sister was some high priestess. MC confronts her about her poisoning him bc he has only ever had nightmares growing up (except for the one time when he had a wet dream about ml LOL). It turns out it's not just a nightmare poison, but something that will make MC super powerful in exchange for insanity. The mother dies after saying smth like "who in this world will ever want to love you" and MC BSODs. Some tribe people rush in, asking for her. The tribe people had infiltrated the steam bird, and that's why ML thought that something was off about it.

Back on ML's side, ML's 'brother' turns out to be a famous general who works for ML. ML puts on mecha armor to hold back the tribe people and tells this general to protect MC. MC is actually royalty and his mother is the high priestess, not the woman he has grown up with.

The general rescues MC from the tribe people wearing mecha armor and they make their escape.

Kaylee, Peachiii, Shizun and 15 others like this.
  6. cici

cici Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the same one, but... does Priest even have something not sad.

7. Misaki Yata

Misaki Yata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. meridianna

meridianna Suffering Ikemen Best Civilization

Reading List:
    Link
    i saw this novel fanart when my usual fb page shared along with Liu Yao's fanart. this gonna be good
    my guilty pleasure is always those angsts with HE rofl

9. Tintl

Tintl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WAIT!! HOLD UP! does this mean that Priest has other novels with disabled characters? Cause I love novels like that sooo bad....
    *stares heatedly with blood shot eyes (from not sleeping even knowing I should)*

CrazedCookies likes this.
  10. kikiangi

kikiangi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    saw this novel but can only find until chapter 1, are there more translated?:cookie::cookie:

11. Scalysharc

Scalysharc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a lot of fan art for this series, seems interesting :blobpeek:

12. celiac

celiac Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i caved in and bought the radio drama for the first and second season bc i had some excess points from buying 破云 and oh my god the difference a va makes (ML's va is the same person who voices yeqiu in Kings Avatar and im in love with his voice :blobnosebleed:)

i can say for sure that it gets a lot better; i guess the first few chapters were just really slow? now that i have a more solid grasp on the characters/plot i can give a little bit more detail :3

mc (Chang Geng) is 4th prince of Da Liang, and the child of the last Man Tribe high priestess (the word they use is 神女, or goddess, but she's def very mortal) he was poisoned by his aunt via a Man Tribe ritual
    hu'ergu (might check spelling later) is the Man god (of revenge? retribution?) who has four arms and four legs, so he resembles a creature who is two humans combined into one. according the man tribe, this makes him twice as strong. he is also the scariest god in their religion. so in order to mimic his strength, the body of one blood-related newborn (who was born within a similar period of time) is fed to the other. the child will grow up to be super op, basically a war god but this ritual was something the man tribe resorted to only in times of desperation, as the child will eventually go crazy from nightmares. the only way to deal with this poison is to have a calm heart, but the issue is that there are too many things to deal with as a royal in not exactly a peaceful country to achieve that. also his feelings for ML doesnt help lmao
    after the time skip, he matures and is super op. he's very calm and in control, but things concerning the ml breaks that calm haha. his main motivation is ML's happiness :blobmelt: there's a part where he monologues that if ML dies in battle, then he too won't exist in this world anymore

ml (Gu Yu, or Gu ZiXi) is one of the top generals of Da Liang. he's technically part of the royal family and related to the MC as his mother was the sister of the emperor so if that turns you off this novel, it's understandable. he was poisoned when he was younger, so his vision and hearing is very poor. there's a medicine he takes which can grant him his vision and hearing, but it has adverse affects (headaches and shortened lifespan) and his body is adapting to it so the period it works is gradually diminishing. he's super shameless tho (kind of like wwx from mdzs) so his lines and interactions with other people are hilarious

up until the end of the second season of the radio drama, its very much MC who is taking the lead and showing interest. ML feels a little guilty at first because MC's technically his ward (in his monologues, he uses the reputation of MC as an excuse to why he cant reciprocate lmao). but its actually ML who initiates the first kiss when he was drunk LOL (at that time MC hasnt realized his feelings so he ran off to the monastery as a result:blobsweat_2: ) but by the end of the second season, ML learns about MC's condition and kinda goes "fuck it"

the story is def more plot heavy though, which is why i enjoyed it so far! an issue the author raises is the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting loss of jobs of the serfs (sound familiar?). this eventually leads to a mini rebellion, which is a super side plot. but a lot of the issues that trouble the mc and ml result from how the emperor (now mc's brother) is fearful of ml's (and the other generals') power. he also makes dumb decisions bc of an issue on a black market in the selling of the fuel they use to power the steampunk mechas, which resulted in a siege on the capital city by the Yang people (who i assume to be westerners).

anyways, if anyone wants to know more lmk! im not too clear on the details bc its technically a period story with quite a heavy focus on politics + the fact that its steampunk, i miss a few terms. but everything i know is limited to the radio drama, so i might not be aware of some events!!

Edited: some wording and grammar bc i wrote this at 2am lmao

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    alexfilia, Peachiii, nejvi and 5 others like this.
  13. miximmaxim

miximmaxim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    aaah... i am really interested
    and i am a big fan of older uke trope
    sadly the translation of this novel seems to be dropped after 1 chapter

14. Scalysharc

Scalysharc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ohh there's an update on chapter 2 :aww:

MikotoP and miximmaxim like this.
  15. shuwei

shuwei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so i’m more than half way through and it’s quite the complex and difficult read. i applaud the translators for taking this on. probably the most political BL novel i’ve read so far. it gets heavy at times, like i just read through a great big war and i gotta take a little break bc i can tell more is coming lol, but there’s really no doubts about the quality of the plot or the worldbuilding. ML is a fantastic character, so interesting and badass, and i’m really invested in him. MC is also the good slow burn zero to hero type

the only thing is i’m not entirely sold on the relationship. i feel like priest could either go all the way and widen their age gap appropriately, or just let ML be MC’s adopted brother. an adopted father of an 8 yr age gap is just self-made torture just to amp up the ~forbidden~ factor and it’s neither here or there lol

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    celiac, Zhen_Qing and Scalysharc like this.
  16. 0101010101

0101010101 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it is a historical stem punk (by author) novel. Gu yun ( bottom) is a general( sth) , his mother was the princess and the ex-king was the relative of the exex-king so the king was quite dislike him .
    Chang Geng ( Lee Ming) ( top), was the forth prince. His mother is the saintess of one of the colony of Da Liang and become the ex-king wife( one of the). This lady cause the ex king to drug Gu into half blind half deaf ( almost die).
    Because of sth he get brought up by his aunt and he didn't know until the aunt told him before suicide .
    Chang also got some witchcraft call Wu Er Gu , that will turn him into some savage psychopath .
    The novel is quite hard to understand by non native speaker and also quite hard to translate as it involves lots about war .

alexfilia, nejvi and midnight reader like this.
  17. shairiru

shairiru Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SPL is more of a plot-centric novel and not a CP-centric novel, like, the plot allowed the CP to grow and in turn, they added warmth to plot...so the author wasn't aiming at all to do a "forbidden relationship" kind of thing just to drive the plot.
    The beauty in their relationship is that you see it grow in the middle of a war without being a distraction to their world or to the plot itself...so whatever their age gap is everything else would still be the same.

18. miximmaxim

miximmaxim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In what chapter chang geng realize his feelings for gu yun?
    As an emperor, chang geng don't marry anyone else?

19. 0101010101

0101010101 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not really remember in which chapter , but i remember that Chang geng had a spring dream
    Ya he didn't get married , because he is the ex king brother , and his blood is not pure enough . According to Chang geng he is just the substitute king and when the prince reached adulthood he returns the place to him.

nejvi and miximmaxim like this.
  20. nejvi

nejvi ~\(≧▽≦)/~

Reading List:
    Link