Discussion [Shadow of Colossus] To programmers. Can you explain to us noobs how they can manage to make them ?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by reagents 11, Jan 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    How can they manage to do it in PS2 and older type of game engines ?

What actually happen here ? Did they make a moving stages instead of objects ?
    What are the challenges on making further details to them ?

Lurking likes this.
  2. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard work and dedication ;D

AMissingLinguist and GonZ555 like this.
  3. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
  4. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    In simpler terms, what you don't see, doesn't exist. This technique was used in horizon dawn zero as well. They load only limited amounts of assets instead of all the assets. And as you move, the unnecessary assets are unloaded from memory, and the required assets are then loaded. This is a simplified explanation, the actual process is a lot more complex.
    For example, you don't need to load the detailed graphics and audio assets for enemies and environment at a certain distance away or outside your current viewcone.

5. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    They're pretty seamless if that was the case. I'm quite impressed that the large boss in particular the flying bird can exist at the same time as the stages. And i wonder why there's not more modern game like them.

Lurking likes this.
  6. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    some of the most intensive stuff is the rendering itself, so keeping the polygons (in general, just the complexity of what's being rendered) to a minimum greatly reduces how much math has to be done (and depending on art style, can be done while still looking good).
    Nowadays games tend to focus more on maximum visual detail, which takes correspondingly far more math. Details like shadows, light reflection, just far more high detailed models, etc.
    Done inefficiently = games that have terrible fps/framerate drops.

7. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Before understanding about managing assets, you probably should know how rendering works in the game first.

In most rpg games, there should be a setting where one can adjust the distance of which the game will start to render the object.

The easiest to imagine is if you played Minecraft before. Because Minecraft used block styled graphic and mechanism (meaning everything in it should be in block pixels), you can set how many block far away from you to be rendered, the farther you make it to be rendered, the heavier the game will be on system requirement. That's why there's so much joke about buying high-end computer system just to play minecraft.

This is done so that you don't have to render the whole world first just to step into a very small portion of it. However, logically speaking, if you managed to render the whole world when you just started playing the game, the game should be smooth sailing since its already rendered right? Well, no. The prime example of this kind of ambitious idea being the main reason of a game being destroyed is.... well unsurprisingly, Cyberpunk2077.

If you take a look at the bugs of cyberpunk2077, most, if not all of it, is just rendering bugs. Of course, there's a lot of instance where assets are being automated quite sloppily, but what do you expect to happen when they tried to make it "as alive as reality"? If you tried to render so much things with so much rules in it, there's bound to be bugs all over. They can't even render the whole city correctly, even by doing background rendering first.

The reason why people are so angry at their company is because they promised to do something that is very hard to do. They promised that in Cyberpunk2077, the world will not revolve around the player, and the world will be moving on its own, even without player interruption, just like our reality. And they didn't promise this once or twice, they literally promise this each press release or interview. And people who knows how hard it is to do this, are having so much expectation on them, enough to put our money first before the game even launched.

but not me though, i will not put my money on a game before i saw its gameplay first. Horizon Zero Dawn is just as I expected, and I love it so much.