Novel SHARDS: The Master of Miracles

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by ChuuniUsagi, Dec 20, 2019.

1. ChuuniUsagi

ChuuniUsagi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Synopsis:

When one man gains the source to ultimate power, reality will soon gain the fantasy and sci-fi tag.

A/N: This is my first time writing a novel for an audience so I welcome constructive criticism. I wanted to write something that gave me room to test out ideas and experiment so what better way to do that than to make the world my sandbox. I took inspiration from There Was No Secret Organization to Fight with the World’s Darkness so I Made One (In Exasperation) as well as many of the other novels I've read over the years. I also using the Worm CYOA, mainly v5 Gimel, as a template for the powers. I apologize that there will not be a release schedule and updates will be sporadic and few. Be warned that I may go on hiatus or drop the story at any time, though I will give notice. I often won't have time to work on this due to university and work, but I'll try my best. I'm writing this for fun and hope to improve my writing. Thank you.

This story will also on ScribbleHub and on RoyalRoad.

The synopsis will be a WIP :|

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Supernatural

Table of Content:
    Chapter 1

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. ChuuniUsagi

ChuuniUsagi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “I’ve already given up on reality, but I’m still holding out for a miracle.”

- from the opening of GJ-bu: Mousou Koukan Nikki (Imaginary Diary Exchange) by Otome Shintou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1:

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve held a deep fascination for the extraordinary. I like to think most people have as well. After all, who hasn’t at some point in their life wanted to have superpowers or imagined experiencing the coming of the apocalypse?

Growing up, these interests only grew as I got into things like comic books, anime, table-top RPGs, and web novels. I developed a love for the fantasy, supernatural, and sci-fi genre. There was always something about works of fiction that ignited in me a yearning for the fantastical.

Before long, my imagination would run wild with ideas of fateful encounters and otherworldly quests. From mind-boggling time travel shenanigans to reincarnation into a land of swords and magic to silly musical rom-com fantasies, delusions of all kinds would fill my head regularly during my youth.

Now as an adult, these fantasies have diminished, and I now have other, more sensible, things to occupy my thoughts. Afterall, hopes and dreams don’t pay the bills.

Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean I don’t still have the occasional fantasy.

I still daydream of super-spy plots, espers, and zombie outbreaks. On the bus ride home, when looking out the window, I still imagine grand car chases and web slingers.

Deep down, I still hold on to a childish hope for a world of grand adventures and fantastical wonders. Even so, these fantasies will always be just that, fantasy: things of fiction.

Thus, it was to my great surprise when I was suddenly whisked away to a space outside the realms of reality.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………...

It was like any other day. I had just gotten out of bed and was heading to the bathroom to freshen up when I noticed a strange feeling in my chest. It was a very unusual warm and tingly sensation that was slowly intensifying. It wasn’t painful or even uncomfortable really. Of course, even so, I was still worried.

I was approaching my thirties, however, I ate fairly healthy, exercised regularly, and did not have any serious medical conditions. The last time I became sick was last year due to a mild cold.

I got to the bathroom, splashed cold water on my face to wake up a bit, then checked myself over. My heart rate seemed fine. My breathing was also normal. Next, I got out a thermometer and checked my temperature. My temperature was alright. Examining myself in the mirror, there was nothing visibly abnormal at least to someone without any medical expertise. Everything seems to have checked out okay.

I really hoped it was nothing serious and would just pass soon. Still, the strange sensation persisted. It was distinct feeling that almost pulsated and seemed to slowly wrap around my entire body. It was also notably getting more intense and seemed to have spread to my head, hands, and feet.

Right when I had gotten dressed and was thinking of rushing to the hospital, I felt the sensation of something deep in me calling out. Then, I felt myself almost as if on instinct mentally grasp at it.

The image of wrapping my hand and fingers around a giant ball of light emerged in my mind. As if a trigger was pulled, I felt something within me click in place bringing about a sense of completeness.

My surroundings were abruptly plunged into darkness before a bright flash of light forced me to shut my eyes. When I reopened them, I saw an otherworldly scene.

I looked all around me and saw a chaotic starry void filled with colors and lights. It held the pitch-black majesty of space yet also held nebulas of auroric colors. It was so surreal. There was no ground below me. I was just floating adrift.

Additionally, there were these small clusters of crystal rock ore of all shapes and sizes scattered and floating all around.

[Beginning System Startup]

A sharp pressure drew my attention to my body as a shining white orb slowly emerged from my chest. Its shine began to increase and the darkness of the area around me was pushed away. I soon became enclosed in a large spherical space when a clear glass-like crystal globe formed around me.

I felt the pull of gravity once more as my feet touched down on a smooth white floor. The space instantly became well illuminated. The lighting existed in such a mind-boggling manner that made it seem as if light sources were all around me. It was weird due to the colorful outside still being a mostly dark void and how the orb was now barely glowing.

The orb was completely out of my chest and hoving in the center of the room. It then shot out a thread of string.

Surprised, I flinched as the string headed towards me. It gently tapped me on the forehead. Then, I felt my mind expand and connect to something vast. Numerous bits of information became available to me through an invisible link.

[Authentication Complete]

[Welcome back.]

I stared at the orb as it retracted its tendril of string. Next, the orb began to crack and then shattered into numerous small crystal shards that shone with brilliant rainbow light. These fragments then flew back into my body.

[Soul Integration Complete]

[Soul Synchronization Complete]

[Primogenitor Shards Assimilation Complete]

[System Shards Link Integration Complete]

[Initializing Standard System and User Checks]

[...]

[All Checks and Protocols Complete]

I touched my chest in wonder. Strangely, I felt a sense of closeness to the surrounding space. A feeling of limitless strength, peak health, and inexhaustible energy. A sense of liberation and clarity. As well as a feeling of safety, comfort, and assurance.

Many thoughts filled my mind as I tried to absorb everything that has just happened. Despite being pretty sure I wasn’t dreaming, I had to double-check.

This was reality.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

So now here I am, standing in a state of awe and disbelief.

Even after a few minutes, I’m still a bit out of it.

I’d always thought that I’d be able to quickly adapt to a situation like this.

In the past, when I was especially deep in my fantasies and delusions, I would make up plans for these kinds of scenarios. Getting suddenly summoned as a hero to fight a demon lord or awakening to telekinetic abilities were things I was at least, semi-familiar with and semi-prepared for. This, not so much.

I had always thought that due to my genre-savviness I’d quickly get over the initial shock then easily start planning, figuring things out, and quickly getting to work with whatever I need to do.

The situation right now, isn’t really something I was ready for. Actually experiencing such wild and fantastical circumstances is completely different from imagining it.

Instead of immediately taking on a calm and calculative mannerism along with a faint roguish smirk, I had my mouth slightly agape and was now staring off into the void.

The belief that reality was uncaring and devoid of miracles was just so grounded into me. I guess, as a result, I unestimated how shocking it really would be to have my entire view of reality completely overturned.

For a few more seconds, I just stood in a daze. Then I proceeded to laugh my heart out.

I wasn’t quite sure why. Maybe it was in joy and excitement at how my childhood dreams for the impossible and extraordinary were finally answered. Or maybe it was a coping response to shock from being kidnapped from my home and being tossed into an absurd situation that was completely out of my element.

Deep breaths. In and out. In and out.

Regaining my bearings and I then finally, got to work.

I began to look for answers through the database of information opened to me by the orb. Somehow, I have an innate familiarity with manipulating my connection to the System. Information slowly streams into my mind.

This enclosed space is called the Wish, and the orb was a part of the activation procedure. The Wish is a complex one-of-a-kind machine and structure serving various functions such as being a system’s hub, database, assisting tool, and transdimensional base of sorts.

I am designated as its sole master, referred to by a multitude of titles. The Originator. The Architect. The Prime.

One of the Wish’s primary functions is supporting in the creation, development, administration, and usage of Shards, the embodiment of power itself. Shards are fragments of potential created from the crystal ores found in the void outside, known as the Miracle.

The Miracle is a separate domain outside of reality. It is the origin of all things. It is the root of all mysteries, magic, dreams, and wonders. A spring as well as a nexus of power that lies beyond the Multiverse.

It’s also a space that births chaotic energies, matter, and forces that slowly form crystal ores of power. Miracle Crystals. The building blocks of Shards. Pieces of infinity that each hold a small fraction of true miracles.

Shards allow their owners to wield supernatural and reality-defying powers. For example, Shards can grant abilities ranging from fire manipulation to telepathy to magic item creation, time travel, biomancy, power copying, and much more. Over time, these Shards can also grow and evolve.

The more info I found, the more the excitement and worry within me grew.

This machine. This place. The Wish. It was mine.

With it, I could travel the multiverse. With enough time, I could become a god. Every one of my hopes and dreams could be made a reality. I could morph reality to my every whim.

Even so, I kept a cool head. I remained wary. There were just too many unknowns. Everything just seemed too good to be true.

Nothing in life is free. Power always comes with a price.

How did this place come to be? Why me? What if… what if this entire thing was some sort of death trap by some random omnipotent being?

Fear and worry sprouted in me, but I quickly crushed them. Because I had to. Because otherwise I’d be consumed by it. Because I still held onto hope that this was some miracle godsend.

Calm down.

Deep breaths. In and out. In and out.

Fear is the mind-killer. Worrying isn’t going to help in this situation. There’s no point stress on what-ifs. Since the start of all this, I've been unharmed. Nothing really points to the Wish trying to screw me over nor does it seem to want to do me harm. Even then, I’m already in this situation and losing my cool won’t change things. It’s better to push aside these concerns for another time.

Looking deeper into the database, I tried to find any concrete reason for why the Wish suddenly activated and why it linked to me. All info about its origins just points back to me which just didn’t make much sense.

I knew I wasn’t anybody special. I like to think I am. I want to be. But so does everyone else. I couldn’t see any sufficient reason for why I became the master of all of this.

With the Wish’s sudden activation, I was brought here by it. Furthermore, my soul has been bonded and linked to it. It’s now part of my very being and existence. Additionally, my soul is now anchored to this space outside of reality.

Just great.

In and out.

No more worrying. Just accept it and adapt. Move on. Rejoice and take complete advantage of this opportunity. Cast all the questions, fears, and inhibitions away. Let your excitement and inner child take over. I got the key to ultimate power, and I’m gonna use it however I want. I’m gonna make the most of it. I’m gonna enjoy it, and I’m gonna love it.

Continuing with my search on the available information, it turns out that the pieces of the shattered core that returned to my body were the Primogenitor Shards.

They were the very first Shards and some of the most powerful ones due to what they can do. They’re a collection of Shards linked together that serve as the master of the Wish’s main arsenal.

They also seem to have fully merged with my soul and as a result, now fully merged with the Wish. Plus, any future Shards that I merge with will be added to the Primogenitor Shard Network.

There were three also main Shards that seem to serve as the core of the Primogenitor Shards Network.

Shard Creation: You can manipulate Shards and can create them using Miracle Crystals. You also possess a perfect affinity for all Shards and have a natural understanding of their handling and construction. Additionally, you can combine existing Shards to create whole new ones or break down parts of them each for other possibilities. Shards can also be duplicated, recycled, or destroyed.

Shard Development: You can program Shards and direct their growth and evolution. You also have innate knowledge and comprehension of the potential and capabilities of Shards along with understanding their history, operation, and structure. Furthermore, Shards can also be scanned, modified, augmented, and repaired.

Shard Administration: You can add or remove restrictions to any existing power, as well as change how they work entirely, as long as it’s still related to the Shard’s original concept. You also have an omnipresent link with Shards that allows you to communicate with them. You also can remotely command Shards to activate, deactivate, bud off, or redistribute them to the people of your choice.

One important piece of information was that my soul seems to be of inadequate size and strength so the Wish will take on most of the burden of having and using Shards. It makes sense since it seems like there is no single soul capable enough to possess and wield Shards of this power and number.

I have a perfect affinity for Shards and a natural understanding of them, but that doesn’t translate to mastery and having the power or soul needed for them. I’ll need to slowly familiarize myself with everything before I can use all of my Primogenitor Shards without the help of the Wish.

I continue to peruse the database. It held quite a plethora of knowledge. From blueprints of incredible devices to details on the Multiverse and its workings to a worryingly thorough record of my body and soul, the database was extensive.

After quite an informative hour, I felt comfortable enough to enact one of the Wish’s many features. I was going to transform this space into the ultimate secret lair.

But first, I gotta get out of here and eat breakfast.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    You should post this novel on scribblehub and royalroad(y)
    EDIT: Ah just realized that you have already done that:p

ChuuniUsagi likes this.